SASS Wire Forum

Need help with a word...

Okay, for you wordsmiths out there - I'm having a mental block, trying to come up with a word* (adjective or noun) to describe people who are relatively affluent, and expect others to contribute at the same level they do, and cannot comprehend - and may resent - that others may not be able to do the same.

Without going into specifics, it involves volunteers, and a person who, for his convenience, expects people to drive significant distances for monthly meetings in his office rather than a more centralized location; and another who is enjoying a rather comfortable retirement and has no problem driving the distances.

*Acceptable in polite society! ;)

Guest Maker-Wright

Not sure position has anything to do with it. There are lotsa self-entitled folks nowadays who expect the world to revolve around them....

But the term that comes to mind is; Narcissist

NSF Dave beat me too it. Elitist, one who believes that some individuals, who form an elite—a select group of people with a certain ancestry, intrinsic quality or worth, higher intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes—are those whose influence or authority is greater than that of others; whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities, or wisdom render them especially fit to govern

Sometimes one word won't cover it. I don't think supercilious quite addresses it. It seems the person thinks everyone is on his level rather than assuming he is superior.

I would call it a level of affluent naivete, but I don't know of a particular word other than clueless that would adequately describe it. WC Fields would probably have one. He used to come up with some arcane doozies, like jobbernowl. :)

I think the description of the behaviour would be "narcissistic, clueless arrogance." I'm not sure what the descriptive noun for that would be other than "selfish, ignorant fool."

You don't elaborate on what this project entails or why you are in it, however, were I you, I'd simply pick up the phone and in a few words, explain that he's going to have to pick up your end of the load on this charity project, because he seems to be inconsiderately scheduling administrative business to his own convenience rather that that of the group, therefore you must resign.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 8, 2013 - Political
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 8, 2013 - Political

Current POTUS.

Archived