SASS Wire Forum

Help me choose a movie

Yes and Renee Zellwegger ruined that movie for me.

Actually I thought she did a very good portryal, of the "Allie" in the book. Remember they are all just actors playing roles.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In Pursuit of Honor", starring Don Johnson, based on actual events. Post WWI U.S. Cavalry are told they must destroy their horses because the Army is becoming mechanized and it the most expedient method to dispose of the horses. Don Johnson and a small group of soldiers disobey orders and take the horses to Canada to save them, all the while pursued by the new fangled mechanized troops. This is an excellent movie which received very little publicity. Makes you want to learn more about this post-war period and the events that this movie is couched in.

What Utah Bob said about Ride With The Devil. Also take a look at "Dawn Rider" with Christian Slater and Jill Hennessey. :wub: Not the best western in the world, but not too bad.

"In Pursuit of Honor", starring Don Johnson, based on actual events. Post WWI U.S. Cavalry are told they must destroy their horses because the Army is becoming mechanized and it the most expedient method to dispose of the horses. Don Johnson and a small group of soldiers disobey orders and take the horses to Canada to save them, all the while pursued by the new fangled mechanized troops. This is an excellent movie which received very little publicity. Makes you want to learn more about this post-war period and the events that this movie is couched in.

That does sound interesting. I will add that to my queue.

It's been fun searching up all of your titles today. Even found some I had forgotten about. Like "The Westerner" with Gary Cooper, I've added that one to my short list.

And if you want to try a western comedy, Texas Across the River. Dean Martin plays a good role. Great entertainment.

Barry Sloe

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

"Something Big" Dean Martin

"Warlock"

"Rough Riders"

"Bite the Bullet"

Rustler's Rhapsody.

Tom Berenger as a B Western hero, G W Bailey as his sidekick, Andy Griffith as a gay cattle baron, Sela Ward as his daughter, Patrick Wayne as the bad good guy, Marilu Henner as the "town hostess"... a great comedic spoof on the old B Western movies and some big name character actors.

Howdy,

Have you seen Firefly or Serenity?

Not exactly westerns but pretty entertaining.

And I need to get mine back from the pard I loaned it to.....

Best

CR

ps River of No Return with MM was just released on Blu-ray.

How about Villian? did you see that?

These are a few movies I don't think have been mentioned yet. They are all first class, rating 4-to-5-stars out of five in my view:

The Long Riders (3 sets actor brothers – best Jesse James movie ever made)

Valdez is Coming (Burt Lancaster)

The Scalp Hunters (Burt Lancaster)

Ulzana's Raid (Burt Lancaster)

Geronimo an American Legend ((Wes Studi, Jason Patric, Robt. Duval)

Hombre (Paul Newman)

Movies that ARE westerns but are modern, un-westerns :)

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Tommy Lee Jones)

No Country for Old Men (Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin)

Gone With the Wind (Vivian Leigh, Clark Gable, Hattie McDaniel, Butterfly McQueen)

By the way, in Appaloosa, Rene Zellweiger pegged the role as Allie very nicely. She showed what a woman really looked like in those days. Quite unattractive and unflattering by today’s standards. Not because they were ugly, I’ve seen some photos that let the “babe factor” come through, but the clothing and hair treatments were to hide their beauty, I think. Also, in the movie, she wasn’t really a likable character and she played the role of a desperate, immature, neurotic woman, frantically seeking a strong man for security and assurance, but being attracted to the toughest, strongest guy she can find. Kind of like a 13-17 year-old teenaged girl.

+1 on Open Range. How about Shadow Riders with Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot?

My birthday is this weekend and the family allows me to pick whatever I want to watch on TV. So I'm turning to you to help me choose a good western I've never seen. I have almost every John Wayne, Clint & Tom Selleck movie in my personal collection. I would like to see a great western that flies under most radars. What western would you recommend from Neflix as a movie for me to view.

If you can find "RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE", I think you'll like it. I've got it on VHS, it's from the 1990's(???) Ed Harris & Amy Madigan star in this excellent film, written by Zane Grey

Support Your Local Sheriff with James Garner.........good family fare and funny as all get out.

and Support Your Local Gunfighter, also with James Garner. These are two of my favorite Western comedies, right up with Blazing Saddles.

I have not read all the responses, but if you can get your hands on it, try Four for Texas.

Ursala Andress makes it all worthwhile, but Joey Bishop really steals the show as the Kronk.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

If you have not seen Lonesome Dove. do so. If so, see Winchester 73

Hoss C.

These are a few movies I don't think have been mentioned yet. They are all first class, rating 4-to-5-stars out of five in my view:

The Long Riders (3 sets actor brothers – best Jesse James movie ever made)

Valdez is Coming (Burt Lancaster)

The Scalp Hunters (Burt Lancaster)

Ulzana's Raid (Burt Lancaster)

Geronimo an American Legend ((Wes Studi, Jason Patric, Robt. Duval)

Hombre (Paul Newman)

+1

The original Monte Walsh with Lee Marvin

Monte Walsh is one of my all time favorites!

Don't miss Conagher with Sam Elliot

Well, if you've never seen it...."The Terror of Tiny Town" It was made in 1938. Seems to me a lot of these little People were in "The Wizzard of OZ" the next year.

Jake

See if you can find "Timerider: The Saga of Lyle Swan' Stars Fred Ward, Peter Coyote, Ed Lauter and L.Q. Jones. An off road motorcycle racer gets caught in a time machine experiment and ends up in the old west. Peter Coyote is the head baddie, he wants the motorcycle. If you want under the radar, this might be the one.

Another favorite of mine, based on a Elmer Kelton novel, is "the Good Old Boys", with Tommy Lee Jones, Sam Shepherd, and a young Matt Damon.

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!

Silverado!!!!

Kevin Kline

John Cleese

Danny Glover

Scott Glenn

Kevin Costner

Jeff Goldblum

Rosanna Arquette

Brian Dennehy

Linda Hunt

Nuff Said