SASS Wire Forum

Help me choose a movie

My birthday is this weekend and the family allows me to pick whatever I want to watch on TV. So I'm turning to you to help me choose a good western I've never seen. I have almost every John Wayne, Clint & Tom Selleck movie in my personal collection. I would like to see a great western that flies under most radars. What western would you recommend from Neflix as a movie for me to view.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever seen "The Big Trail", with John Wayne in his first starring role? If not, I highly recommend it in widescreen. It was filmed in 1929 and released in 1930. It was an early talking picture, and one of the first in widescreen.

No have not. I'm told that this is the first movie where John Wayne holds a gun.

Open Range and Tombstone

Thanks, I own both.

Last of the Dogmen Starring Tom Berenger, its a modern western tied into an old western, sounds weird but it was great! even the wife loves it.

Rafe

I've seen it several times. And yes its a great movie

Blazing Saddles!

Last of the Dogmen Starring Tom Berenger, its a modern western tied into an old western, sounds weird but it was great! even the wife loves it.

Rafe

I will second that, great movie, wish I owned it, and watch it about every time it comes on TV.

Jeremiah Johnson is one of my favorites.

People, people people..... most of you are choosing the obvious. Like I said, I looking for a movie that flies under the radar. For example I have "Dead Man's Burden" in my queue but it's not available yet.

Just watch Unforgiven again. It's one of the grittiest westerns out there.

If your looking for a little humor in your western try these. Just don't let your rootbeer shoot out your nose.

Lust in the Dust

Rustlers Rhapsody

Three Amigo's

Castalia

Now we're talking! Lust in the Dust looks a little rough for my kids to watch with me. However Rustlers Rhapsody has some good reviews. It's on my potentials list.

Anyone else?

Jimmy Stewart made a lot of excellent Westerns:

Bend of the River, Far Country, The Man from Laramie, The Naked Spur, Winchester 73.

Randolph Scott:

Seven Men From Now, The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome, Comanche Station

The Wild Bubch aside, Sam Peckinpah directed some too:

Ballad of Cable Hogue, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Ride the High Country

These are all good Westerns, & I'd be happy watching any of them with my family on my birthday!

--Dawg

In looking up some of your great choices I have learned that Arnold Schwarzenegger actually starred in a western. Looks too disgusting to even read the previews. :wacko:

The original 3:10 to Yuma

Another one that flies under the radar but I really enjoyed was Purgatory. Different western, but pretty good. I enjoyed it

Shane

Pale Rider

My Name Is Nobody, is my all time favorite. Infact i just got the DVD for fathers day.

Staring Terrance Hill

Happy Birthday

H.Wolf

Once Upon a Time in the West.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Is "The Missing" worth my time?

Absolutely!

I love just about anything with Tommy Lee Jones.

Frenchy

Ride With the Devil.

And yeah, The Missing is good!

One very good western I recommend aside from the John Waynes, Scott, etc. which normally get called up to watch. Try Rory Calhoun's "Red Sundown". Very well written, acted, and some great gunfight scenes. This movie was like made for Calhoun. Highly recommend this one from the norms. MT

Archived