SASS Wire Forum

Ruger .45acp single action revolver SASS legal?

Krazy Kajun

A guy at work told me about a Ruger single action 45acp revolver that he just scored. It is stainless, birdshead and a 3.75" barrel. I had never even heard of this animal so I used some google fu and found that it is a limited run. I found one for sale on Gunbroker here.

My question, if a pard had 2 of these would they be approved for use in a SASS match? If so that would be pretty good....cheaper than shooting 45 LC and you should be able to use Wild Bunch ammo.

Kajun

That is cool.......no reason why that shouldnt be sass legal....make sure no bisley hammers with birdshead grips...i think im right but someone with tons more rules smarts will swing by shortly..650 starting bid? Ouch;)

It's allowed, all categories except Classic Cowboy, where a rimmed cartridge is required (and 40 caliber and over).

Even if a pard only had one of them, it would be allowed as main match gun.

Ammo costs are not all that much different than a .45 Colt. Especially if you reload. If you don't reload, you have already proven that you don't care about saving much money, anyhow. :lol: And, of course, you have to find lead 45 auto loads, not the easiest thing even in the best of times. And, you probably don't want to shoot 150 PF Wild Bunch loads anyway!

Good luck, GJ

REVOLVER CALIBERS

Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt.

• Standard velocity .22 caliber rimfire ammunition is allowed within the Buckaroo Category only.

• Although the .32 caliber revolvers and .36 caliber cap and ball revolvers are legal, they may not be powerful enough to handle all reactive targets.

Classic Cowboy Considerations:

Revolver and rifle calibers: .40 caliber or larger, rimmed cartridges. Examples include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.

(bold added for emphasis)

My question, if a pard had 2 of these would they be approved for use in a SASS match? If so that would be pretty good....cheaper than shooting 45 LC and you should be able to use Wild Bunch ammo.

If it were all that good, wouldn't you see pards out on the line with .45 auto revolvers?

Certainly not a new idea (having been asked on here at least twice in the last year), and for almost everyone, not even a good idea. In fact, the real answer was provided by Adirondack Jack several years ago, and it does not involve having to buy two revolvers - Cowboy .45 Special.

Good luck, GJ

Hey KK, you could shoot two of them in .45acp and Cody Conagher is selling a conversion for an 1873 to .45acp as well.

If it were all that good, wouldn't you see pards out on the line with .45 auto revolvers?

Certainly not a new idea (having been asked on here at least twice in the last year), and for almost everyone, not even a good idea. In fact, the real answer was provided by Adirondack Jack several years ago, and it does not involve having to buy two revolvers - Cowboy .45 Special.

Good luck, GJ

I've seen discussion about 45acp for Cody's conversion but haven't run across any discussion about .45acp single action revolvers. I still think it is a pretty cool idea and will still look for more information.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples

include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38

Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt.

Howdy

Revolvers have been chambered for 45 ACP since 1917. It is a cartridge that was commonly available in revolvers.

The main reason you don't see it done more often is because single action revolvers chambered for 45 ACP are not all that common. I have a Balckhawk that I bought in 1975 with two cylinders, 45 Colt and 45 ACP. If I wanted to, I could shoot it at a match with the 45 ACP cylinder.

Years ago I had a dual-cylinder Vaquero, 45LC/45ACP. Used to shoot BP 45acp in it for fun. Learned a few things about it that may or may not apply to the 45acp Vaquero referenced above. In these guns in 45acp, the cartridge headspaces on the case mouth. I found out that semiwadcutters would only chamber if they were seated deep so that the front shoulder of the bullet was even with the case mouth. And regardless of bullet, mine was sensitive to the length of the brass. I don't recall the exact length right now, but I learned that I had to measure my empty ACP brass before loading because 10 or 15% of my brass was too long and the loaded round would drag against the recoil shield. Once I figured these things out, it worked well. So just keep that in mind and don't load up a bunch of ammo before checking to see that it will chamber okay.

It's still less work, and less expensive to convert a '73 to C45S than to 45ACP. The conversion to 45ACP requires the shortening of the chamber as the ACP headspaces on the case mouth, not the rim as do the 45Colt or C45S. So, you have the expense to set the barrel back and recutting an extractor groove, shortening the magazine and relocating the magazine attachments, plus you need to buy a carrier converted with a spring loaded feature to feed the C45S. Whereas converting to the C45S only involves replacing the carrier with the spring loaded carrier as sold.

Some may say that you don't need to shorten the chamber for the ACP... but, while the extractor may hold the 45ACP cartridge well enough to fire, but... it's not a proposition that I'd count on.

As to the revolvers... I love the C45S, just shot a match with them this past saturday... exceedingly smooth. Oh, and in a Marlin 1894... slicker'n snot on a Lousiana swamp! Save the money on the ACP revolvers... just pick up some C45S brass...

Wow, after 20 years of reloading, I have learned a reason to trim non bottle-necked pistol brass. Not wanting to worry about trimming pistol brass I will probably never buy a 45 ACP Single Action Revolver. Is very interesting to know about case length being important. One of those things I should have known as 1911s are supposed to head space on the case mouth.

I have one of those convertable Blackhawks, .45LC and .45ACP. The .45ACP cylinder is somewhere in the back of the gun safe. i shot this gun in .45 ACP a few times, but saw no advantage over the .45LC, and I stopped using it. Cost of loading .45ACP and .45LC are about the same, and having to stock lead bullets in .45ACP was not worth it.

Cowboy .45 Special cases can be used in the ACP cylinders, and will headspace on the rim per usual, no issues, and would be legal IN ALL CATEGORIES. Even if you load ACP for your Rugers, use a .45 COLT sizing die for lead bullet use in revolvers. .45 ACP has a slight taper, which we don't want or need in revolvers. If you use LEE dies, simply crank the crimp die down a bit more than usual for the ACP taper crimp, and it makes a fair roll crimp. :)

C45S carriers for toggle links ought to be available soon also.

The .45 acp cylinder makes for economical BP cartridges for sure. I sometimes use the .40 S&W cylinders in my .38-40 Vaqueros just for something different. ;)

The .45 acp cylinder makes for economical BP cartridges for sure. I sometimes use the .40 S&W cylinders in my .38-40 Vaqueros just for something different. ;)

Dang gamer :lol:I guess you make it up by using one of your 10 gauge toys!

To recap ...... TA Da ..... Yes the .45 ACP is legal (except in Classic). The C45S cartridge developed by Adarondak Jack is even better (good for Classic). Either is a GREAT choice for reduced loads WITHOUT fillers, and ......

Griff .... The script font your using is really really hard to read. <}:-)

I still hate no havin smilies on my iPad

Coffinmaker

Hey Krazy,

when I get down in GA this weekend, check out my Ruger Sheriff model Vaq. in .45

I plan to shoot the C45S in them for the main match unless some crazy cajun takes em away from me. :)

You'll love em.

They are basically the same pistols that your friend has ..... except mine have been tweaked alittle more to my liken.

See ya on Thursday.

..........Widder

I've got a pair of Blackhawks in .357 that also have the 9 mm cylinder. It really raises eyebrows at the loading table when you start loading up those 9 mm rounds.

This gives me an idear. How about an Odd Ball match? Break out all the bizarre guns and calibers. Hmmm.

only problem i see is i dont think i can stuff enough of the Holy into a 45acp case to make pale rider, then by jim its a NO GO for me! gotta have big cases to stuff all that evil black stuff in...;)

Load em hot and heavy

OO

REVOLVER CALIBERS

Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt.

• Standard velocity .22 caliber rimfire ammunition is allowed within the Buckaroo Category only.

• Although the .32 caliber revolvers and .36 caliber cap and ball revolvers are legal, they may not be powerful enough to handle all reactive targets.

Classic Cowboy Considerations:

Revolver and rifle calibers: .40 caliber or larger, rimmed cartridges. Examples include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.

(bold added for emphasis)

I shot 41 mags for several year. Rifle and pistols.

I shot 41 mags for several year. Rifle and pistols.

I am a huge fan of the 41 mag Noz. Who made the rifle?

I do believe they made two runs of the 41 Mag. Pictures look like this one has the safety. A more recent run. Other run was made in the late '70s though not sure of the exact date. That run is the rare one and hard to get.

Archived