SASS Wire Forum

wackiest local range rules

Bugler

The club didn't require it until a cowgirl decided not to have her guns checked at the unloading table :huh: She shot the inside of her car when putting guns away :angry: Apparently she shot 9 of the 10 rounds on her last stage. The cowboys in charge decided to change the rule and took it to the club level to avoid any problems with the club. True Story ;)

Ringer

Now Ringer you know that is a lie!!!!!!!!! :angry: Out here on the wire you should be a man and tell the TRUTH.......................she shot her TRUCK not her car :lol:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No you can't ;) EXCEPT SxS that is 'broken' open.....

LG

Gee all this time I thought you could move with a round on the carrier action opened on a 97, at most locations. Heck you can move with a fired round in chamber, gun closed, hammer down, with two loaded in the mag of a 97. Wasn't this made legal in last couple of years?

Gee all this time I thought you could move with a round on the carrier action opened on a 97, at most locations. Heck you can move with a fired round in chamber, gun closed, hammer down, with two loaded in the mag of a 97. Wasn't this made legal in last couple of years?

From the ROI Handbook, pg. 17:

Safe for movement shotgun in hand only

• Action open, round in chamber or on carrier

• Hammer(s) fully down on empty chamber(s) or expended round(s), action closed.

I did misunderstand. You may now pistol whip me. :blink:

Well okay, but you'll have to climb up on the loading table.

No you can't ;) EXCEPT SxS that is 'broken' open.....

LG

REF: RO1 pp.16-17 "Safe conditions for firearms..."

That is correct.

• Pump and lever action shotguns are allowed to load no more than two live rounds at a time in the main match stages unless specified in the stage description. In team events, shotguns may be loaded to their maximum magazine capacity.
SHB p.11

Many of those "range/club rules" that go above & beyond SASS regs have been instituted by individuals who have "issues" with current SASS rules. Their personal perspective and/or preferences as to what they consider "safe" in regard to range operations becomes the standard for their home club/range & are often carried over to other venues by traveling shooters and RO's. This has the potential to become problematic at matches above the local monthly level.

Some of those "extra" rules are mandated by the host range...some are NOT.

Regardless of their origin, it has been recommended that ANY "range/club-specific" rules that are contrary to or beyond the standard SASS rules should be published on the home club website/match apps and/or pointed out during prematch or prestage safety briefings; if not actually written into the actual stage descriptions.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I was a SASS range back east where the insurance company said that all shooting had to be "stand and deliver".

NO MOVEMENT!

There was a minor accident once and there was a complaint from a newbie shooter, I was told.

So I guess that's the way it is for them now. :unsure:

MG

PWB, say your on the move with a '97 w/action open(live round on carrier). Said live round slides into the chamber(action still open, BTW). So this is then a "no-call", correct??

LG

YES...& that applies to ALL long guns.

Rifle

Safe to leave the shooters hands.

• Empty, action open

• Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action closed (restaged for further use)

Safe for movement rifle in hand only

• Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended round, action closed

Action open, round on carrier or in chamber

Shotgun

• Safe to leave the shooters hands.

• Empty, action open

Safe for movement shotgun in hand only

Action open, round in chamber or on carrier

• Hammer(s) fully down on empty chamber(s) or expended round(s), action closed.

Several come to mind:

1. 10 second misses.

2. No cross draw holsters to be drawn from nor returned to; every stage had one pistol staged and it had to be the crossdraw if you wear one.

3. '97's must be loaded with 2 at a time (no single loading). Actually a match rule rather than a range rule, but figure it qualified...

Several come to mind:

1. 10 second misses.

2. No cross draw holsters to be drawn from nor returned to; every stage had one pistol staged and it had to be the crossdraw if you wear one.

3. '97's must be loaded with 2 at a time (no single loading). Actually a match rule rather than a range rule, but figure it qualified...

Number 2 had to make life hell for gunfighters. Draw one pistol from holster and second pistol off a table. Then at end of shot string return one to holster and put the other one on a table? I dont think I would return, if I stayed at all

Read Philly Slim's reply, and quit trying to pick a fight. No one is stumping. I am making a simple comment about clothes police. If people are adverse to that, they can shoot elsewhere. I have never had a face-to-face complaint, only bickering on the TG Wire. When it is 22 degrees outside, with frost on the ground, people sure like their Carhartt quilted coveralls. :)

>>deleted<< better that than get into one of these P!$$! contests.

Hey Ringer, how's Kaintuck? I have one problem here. How come the TO and spotters did not catch the round count and yell,"One More!" From the ROI Handbook:

The Timer Operator should not count misses, but watches the shooter for unsafe acts, correct target engagement, and stage procedures in addition to counting shots fired if possible. However, the Timer Operator is often times in the best position to evaluate hits or misses if in question.

I'm just thankful no one was hurt, just their pride.

Just as rounds can get stuck in the mag...folks can loose count easily.

But I for one sure appreciate your pasting of the rules...

:FlagAm:

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I was a SASS range back east where the insurance company said that all shooting had to be "stand and deliver".

NO MOVEMENT!

There was a minor accident once and there was a complaint from a newbie shooter, I was told.

So I guess that's the way it is for them now. :unsure:

MG

We get complaints from law enforcement agencies that borrow our range on weekdays for training. Our insurance policy requires a cold range. They don't like that but we can't budge.

We did have a problem with a new range president who wanted only stand and deliver shooting. He'd read an NRA Safety Handbook that recommended static firing from fixed positions at established targets. The fellow wanted to ban all action shooting sports at the range. It took the combined efforts of IPSC, IDPA, 3-gunners and CAS shooters to stop him. It took awhile for him to comprehend the value of bermed shooting locations.

I didn't realize that I had opened such a can of worms on this thread!

Bugler

>>deleted<< better that than get into one of these P!$$! contests.

No need to delete your post, Cat. I don't consider debating an issue a pi$$ing contest. No one is playing fast and furious with the rules when they relax clothing rules for the weather extremes, IN MY OPINION. Some folks agree with me; others disagree. That's fine. That is how we get people thinking about the rules and rule changes. Playing fast and furious with the rules is a club that I know of that chooses to ignore a specific MSV rule because they don't like the rule. That is a safety issue. Wearing Carhaart is not a safety issue. There is a difference. Anyway, this has been beat to death, so I'll bow out.

Whatever the rule is, you know it is going to be controversial when the RO kinda hangs his head sheepishly and reads it during the safety meeting, then kinda quickly glances up to see what kind of reaction he's going to get. I've had to present and enforce rules I didn't agree with...and most of you have had to do that also.

Neither life nor cowboy action shooting is ideal, but they are still worth the time and effort.

Ever hear about a club that hosts Cowboy shoots and encourages folks ta shoot in grass skirts ?????

Must be a major :blush: safety issue ,,,,, Don't Ya think ?????? :):):rolleyes: .....

Have Fun and let others do the Same !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Ever hear about a club that hosts Cowboy shoots and encourages folks ta shoot in grass skirts ?????

Must be a major :blush: safety issue ,,,,, Don't Ya think ?????? :):):rolleyes: .....

Have Fun and let others do the Same !!!

Jabez Cowboy

I have been known to go out there with a costume or two, but I never thought about wearing a grass skirt. But now, after thinking about it, I would not prefer to wear a grass skirt. Nothin' against any of you folks shooting the new smokeless powder doin' it. I am just afraid that I would be one sparking ember from my big smokey loads away from ending up skirtless...

:wub:

I once shot where you could get two P's on the same stage. The funny thing is the extra P was for...wait for it...shooting a hole in part of the prop/stage. Suffice to say, the stage was set up in a fashion that it wasn't overly difficult to shoot put a bullet (or two or three) through the prop/stage.

And there was this one time...at bandcamp...where you couldn't load from a loading strip/block.

And there was another time when the same stages were shot as two different matches on consecutive days and the best score was used to determine the winner...until an out of towner won the match on the first day...and on the second day left seven in a rifle...and the match director decided it that only the second day's scores would count. I'm guessing this new rule was called the Out of Towner Can't Win Rule. FWIW, this club is NOW ran by a bunch of stand-up folks who happen to be some of my favorite folks. They even like (I think) out of towners. :)

I saw a club doing a Wild Bunch match were you could only load 2 at a time in the 97, just like in a normal Cowboy match. It really was just SASS with a 1911.

I was at another shoot that had I guess what is now termed a "Professionals" match. Similar to Wild Bunch, (which is what some places used to call it) but that you can use any guns that existed up to 1917. The Enfield Rifle is popular at such matches, as it is the only "rifle caliber" repeater that holds 10 rounds. BUT, when I went to shoot that side match, was told rifle caliber rifles were limited to 5 rounds, with no reload. This little quirk was not explained in the match rules witch only refered to it as "Professionals (or classic Wild Bunch)"

Was at a shoot once where the score keeper had to call out who the next two shooters were going to be before every stage.

Odd only in that I have only seen this at this one club. So it's odd in the sense of very unusual.

Have been to more than few shoots where the pistols are split. IE, 5 Pistol, 10 Rifle, then 5 More pistol. Includes the instructions "Gunfighters may draw 1 pistol for each set of targets or draw both and reholter on spent rounds before engaging rifle" What struck me as "odd" about this was that they felt is was necessary to spell out what seemed to me to be a common sense proceedure for folks shooting GF.

Finally, I was at a shoot once where at the saftey meeting, it was actually said, "If you are using a Mare's Leg type pistol, it must be shot from the hip." That one struck me as very strage, and perhaps a little dangerous.

Now Ringer you know that is a lie!!!!!!!!! :angry: Out here on the wire you should be a man and tell the TRUTH.......................she shot her TRUCK not her car :lol:

Hey Awfiu,

Thank you for the correction:) I was never sure what type of vehicle it was. I know she hates it when the story gets told....haha

Ringer

Have been to more than few shoots where the pistols are split. IE, 5 Pistol, 10 Rifle, then 5 More pistol. Includes the instructions "Gunfighters may draw 1 pistol for each set of targets or draw both and reholter on spent rounds before engaging rifle" What struck me as "odd" about this was that they felt is was necessary to spell out what seemed to me to be a common sense proceedure for folks shooting GF.

Are you sure they said "reholster"? A gunfighter may restage, but cannot reholster with the intention to reengage.

RO1 - page 16 - item 16

(Gunfighters may choose to shoot five rounds, safely stage their loaded revolvers, hammer down on a spent cartridge, shoot another firearm, retrieve the revolvers, and finish the “shooting string” before re-holstering.)

RO1 - page 17 - first item

While the above restrictions apply, there are additional considerations for the Gunfighter. When shooting “Gunfighter Style,” a gunfighter may not holster revolvers with the intent to engage another revolver sequence.

Hey Ringer, how's Kaintuck? I have one problem here. How come the TO and spotters did not catch the round count and yell,"One More!" From the ROI Handbook:

The Timer Operator should not count misses, but watches the shooter for unsafe acts, correct target engagement, and stage procedures in addition to counting shots fired if possible. However, the Timer Operator is often times in the best position to evaluate hits or misses if in question.

I'm just thankful no one was hurt, just their pride.

Hey Okie,

Maybe they couldn't keep up with her speed? Probably just lost track or got distracted? Who knows?? Things will always happen. Seems to me just following the standard safety rules. Will eliminate the crazy things from happening;)

Oh ya Kentucky is just getting perfect. Humidity is down and 80 degrees. Meeting new folks has been great! But I do miss cowboys in the NW.

Ringer

No need to delete your post, Cat. I don't consider debating an issue a pi$$ing contest. No one is playing fast and furious with the rules when they relax clothing rules for the weather extremes, IN MY OPINION. Some folks agree with me; others disagree. That's fine. That is how we get people thinking about the rules and rule changes. Playing fast and furious with the rules is a club that I know of that chooses to ignore a specific MSV rule because they don't like the rule. That is a safety issue. Wearing Carhaart is not a safety issue. There is a difference. Anyway, this has been beat to death, so I'll bow out.

We have older cowboys. Temperature control becomes an issue with age. We shoot year round so summer hawaiian shoots and winter esquimo shoots become appropriate.

I once shot where you could get two P's on the same stage. The funny thing is the extra P was for...wait for it...shooting a hole in part of the prop/stage. Suffice to say, the stage was set up in a fashion that it wasn't overly difficult to shoot put a bullet (or two or three) through the prop/stage.

I remember a match I was at not too long ago that would have been a Stage DQ. ;)

Neither is wearing tennis shoes, baseball caps and short sleeved shirts. So ya allow them if ya are so inclined? Just wondering.

I know of multiple clubs down here in AZ that DO allow that during the hottest parts of summer as long as you wear a cowboy hat

I guess they want shooters to be able to enjoy the match when it's 115 degrees out instead of having to stay home or risk heat stroke

Neither is wearing tennis shoes, baseball caps and short sleeved shirts. So ya allow them if ya are so inclined? Just wondering.

I know of multiple clubs down here in AZ that DO allow that during the hottest parts of summer as long as you wear a cowboy hat

I guess they want shooters to be able to enjoy the match when it's 115 degrees out instead of having to stay home or risk heat stroke

Hi Folks,

I sure wish someone could explain so this "old blond broad" could understand how:

Athletic shoes are cooler than leather shoes or boots. Seems to me that synthetics make your feet sweat and stink... :o

Baseball caps are cooler and provide more sun protection than a straw cowboy hat. The brim only protects your face, not ears or neck; unless you wear it "punk style" then, it protects your neck not your face or ears. :rolleyes:

How short sleeve shirts that allow for burnt skin without sunscreen are better than a gauzy shirt that would provide sunburn protection without the stickiness. ^_^

Regards,

Allie "who thinks this is 'cowboy action shooting' not IPSC" Mo

What time does the monthly match start during the temperature peak of the spring/summer/fall months? Still hot but could minimize the very extreme. Or not!!!

Archived