SASS Wire Forum

1st post, lots to talk about

ian-NH

Hello guys and gals, new guy here. Just getting into cowboy action shooting and wanted to get some opinions and advice.

First off, from my perspective as a new guy, this looks like a lot of fun. I've already traded for the guns needed to join and participate, now I'm working on the other stuff (ammo, clothing, reloading, holsters, cart, etc.) I think this may be overwhelming for some people and maybe that's what scares away new shooters?

So far here's what I've got. 2 matching Ruger Vaquero's, 4 5/8ths, .44 special. Stoeger 12 gauge coach gun, 2 triggers, no hammers. Marlin 1894 in .44 mag, older one with JM on barrel, by the way does anyone have a video on reassembly of one of these?? I got it used and decided to take it apart and clean it up and I'm having a little trouble..... :lol: A buddy of mine who is a member here has already pointed out to me that I might regret my caliber choice due to cost. I'm already thinking he's right!

For a holster/belt rig, did most of you start off with something used? Is there something good and inexpensive that will get me started and last my first year or so? I've found lots of $300-$600 rigs that are very nice but not a reality for me right now.

The clothing doesn't seem like a big deal, my understanding of the rules is jeans are OK if you ditch the belt loops and labels and add suspender buttons right? Henley shirts are approved as well correct? Can you get a decent pair of SASS approved boots for under $100? Can anyone offer a link to something comfortable?

When building a cart what should I make room for? On your average day, how much are you shooting? Just wondering how much ammo I should make room for.

Even though I'm brand new and under equipped, should I just go to the next match with what I have or should I wait until I have absolutely everything?

Last question, and might be the most difficult one.... how did you come up with an alias? Can't think of anything that isn't taken.

Welcome to the Wire,Cowboy Action Shooting and SASS. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on CAS stuff. Post your general location and for an alias, just tell what your interested in and lots of folks here can give their ideas. The 44 Special is my favorite cal. to shoot, but it's not the most popular in CAS. The Marlin breakdown can be found on Marauder's web site and see Widowmaker Hill's info.

http://marauder.homestead.com/cowboy.html

Don't wait. Start shooting now! Thats how you learn and get your questions answered.

44 special shouldn't be crazy $$$$ if you reload.

Craig's list jogging stroller can make a fine cart with little work and $$$.

Welcome

Ringer

Hello guys and gals, new guy here. Just getting into cowboy action shooting and wanted to get some opinions and advice.

First off, from my perspective as a new guy, this looks like a lot of fun. I've already traded for the guns needed to join and participate, now I'm working on the other stuff (ammo, clothing, reloading, holsters, cart, etc.) I think this may be overwhelming for some people and maybe that's what scares away new shooters?

So far here's what I've got. 2 matching Ruger Vaquero's, 4 5/8ths, .44 special. Stoeger 12 gauge coach gun, 2 triggers, no hammers. Marlin 1894 in .44 mag, older one with JM on barrel, by the way does anyone have a video on reassembly of one of these?? I got it used and decided to take it apart and clean it up and I'm having a little trouble..... :lol: A buddy of mine who is a member here has already pointed out to me that I might regret my caliber choice due to cost. I'm already thinking he's right!

You've already got the guns, so enjoy your .44's. .45 would probably be a little cheaper and little easier to find components.

For a holster/belt rig, did most of you start off with something used? Is there something good and inexpensive that will get me started and last my first year or so? I've found lots of $300-$600 rigs that are very nice but not a reality for me right now.

Cabelas and Sportsmans Guide both have decent selections of "starter" leather that won't break the bank.

The clothing doesn't seem like a big deal, my understanding of the rules is jeans are OK if you ditch the belt loops and labels and add suspender buttons right? Henley shirts are approved as well correct? Can you get a decent pair of SASS approved boots for under $100? Can anyone offer a link to something comfortable?

Google "The Fort". It's a western wear place in Nebraska. They sell some nice CAS boots that are around $120 and VERY comfortable.

http://www.fortwestern.com/old-west-cowboy-boots/

When building a cart what should I make room for? On your average day, how much are you shooting? Just wondering how much ammo I should make room for.

Most 6 stage "monthly matches" will shoot 60 pistol, 60 rifle, and around 25 shotshells. (Figure 10/10/4 per stage average). I started with a big cart that would carry the kitchen sink. It makes traveling cumbersome. For some monthlys now, I use a big saddle bag or a small "breakdown" gun cart called the "Jack Rabbit" by Off the Wall Guncarts. It's small, light, and I can break it down to fit in a box in the trunk of my car.

Even though I'm brand new and under equipped, should I just go to the next match with what I have or should I wait until I have absolutely everything?

Take what you've got and go to a match. Call/email the club leadership and let them know what you are missing. Folks will loan you what you need.

Last question, and might be the most difficult one.... how did you come up with an alias? Can't think of anything that isn't taken.

Can't help you on that one.

I started to reply, but by the time I typed answers and suggestions to your questions, everybody else had already covered the same thing.

Most people in this sport are eager to help and you should find the same thing when you get out to the shoot. Just go do it, be safe, and have fun.

Welcome to the dance Pard !

As far as your caliber choice I think its a great choice.

I my self am a 44 special shooter .

I have been in the game for 4 years now and I would not pick any other caliber to shoot.

First off its a caliber you love or you would not have already had the guns.

Second off if you are going to be shooting 44 or bigger you can be a WortHog like me.

WhortHogs Rule ! http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?board=9.0

I my self Have 3 sets of 44 special Rugers .

Two sets of 44 mag Rugers.

Three Rossi 92s in 44 mag/special

Two 12ga Stoegers SXS

and a Winchester 97 12ga .

My son ( 24 years old ) shoots 44 specials also.

Check out The WartHogs its some thing to be PROUD off ! http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?board=9.0

God bless.

PM me with your ph # and I will give you some load info ( you can NOT post load data hear )

Consider what makes you distinct, what identifies you. That sometimes makes the best alias, and it's usually how Old West aliases got applied (Big Nose Kate for example). Make sure it's something that you don't mind being called - Dirty Smelly Polecat may be fun for some folks, but perhaps that's not the first thing you want to hear from your shooting buddies every time you show up. Hah.

Perhaps your locale, (Granite George)

job, (Broadsheet Bob)

interests and hobbies, (Willie Whittle)

family, (Grannie Ghost)

historical or fictional characters, (Pistol Pete)

historical event in the west. (Sandcreek Massacre)

I envisioned one of the most adventurous ancestors of mine, took his first name (short form) and middle name, interchanged them, and am known as Garrison Joe. Instead of just sticking with the reality of him returning from the Civil War back to his farm, I imagine him, in Josey Wales style, heading west to seek his fortune (or revenge).

So, in short order, I developed the name, the background, the costume style and motivation for his being in CAS. And that is a lot more than most folks ever get around to.

If you run short of ideas, head down to the local library, go to the novels, find the L'Amour and other westerns section, and just leaf through the first chapter or two of several books. You will probably find a name that either fits or that gives you a starting point.

Good luck, GJ

One thought I've had is buy a good quality used rig. Start asking around at the shoots you attended. Or shop the wire classified. I would rather have a qulaity used rig over a cheap new rig any day!!! Some folks dont see a value in good leather and that's a big mistake.

You can shoot all the matches with out leather. So wait until a rig shows up and you won't have to buy twice.

Happy trails.

Ringer

First off, "WELCOME" to the most fun sport in the world! Go shoot your first match with what you have. Contact the Club you plan to shoot at! There will be some one there to Help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions and for help!

A +1 for what others have said.

Just for the record. Justin Ropers work good. Cheap and comfortable and you can wear them other places. Wranglers as is will work blue, black, tan, or whatever and a work type shirt like Wrangler or Sears is fine.

Has worked for me for 11 years.

Look on the SASS home page at the credit card add. That is a World Champ in stock Wranglers. Shot with him and his brother many times and that was all they ever wore.

WJ

Just go shoot :)

Welcome!

As far as an alias, many incorporate something to do with where they are from, or currently live, Red River this, Smokey Mountain that, etc. Others for for historical characters or movie/TV characters, but as you've noted, most of those are taken. About the only thing I wouldn't recommend is using part of your real name, unless that's how you want to be known. I go by 'Dave' in real life, and would prefer that folks call me Grizz when cowboy shooting. But your mileage may vary.

Just off the top of my head from your forum ID, how about 'Newt Hampshire?'

One thought I've had is buy a good quality used rig. Start asking around at the shoots you attended. Or shop the wire classified. I would rather have a qulaity used rig over a cheap new rig any day!!! Some folks dont see a value in good leather and that's a big mistake.

You can shoot all the matches with out leather. So wait until a rig shows up and you won't have to buy twice.

Happy trails.

Ringer

I agree about good quality used leather, but question whether you can shoot any match without leather. Most SASS clubs are very understanding, but not all shooting stations have areas to stage pistols.

Keep your Marlin but send it to Slick McCade for a Widdermatic style tune up. then you'll have a super slick gun to take you many years into SASS and be abler to shoot you 44 Specials through it.

Love the 44 Special.

Wyandot Jim - I see the ad you refer too, thanks. Are collars ok? I seemt o remember reading somewhere you can't have one, but I can't tell in that pic if he has one.

Lead Ringer - You don't need leather to shoot? If I can shoot by picking the guns up off a table or bench like I've seen in a few videos that would be a great stress reliever as right now I'm trying to decide if I should skimp on the leather or the reloading stuff, right now after buying those 4 new guns something has to give. If I can push the leather off for a few months while I sort everything else out that would be excellent. That jogging stroller idea is interesting too......

Sturm Rooster - Thanks, I'll PM you shortly. I've never reloaded before so any help is appreciated. I have a friend locally who is into action shooting and reloading so once I have accumulated a pile of brass I'll start annoying him with questions too.

Oh, and on the topic of leather, if you contact someone with the local club, chances are someone has holsters they can loan you until you get your own. It's a good idea to take your own sturdy leather belt though as one side does not fit all.

I carry a box of spare leather in my car to every match, and I know others do as well, just to loan out to new shooters.

I agree about good quality used leather, but question whether you can shoot any match without leather. Most SASS clubs are very understanding, but not all shooting stations have areas to stage pistols.

Yea, I forgot about that:)

Welcome to SASS, Pard. You can check the Classifieds here for used rigs. You might want to go observe a shoot first and get some ideas on clothing and leather. You can get a lot of questions answered at a shoot.

You can get a lot of new shooter questions answered here too. Capt. Baylor's Ranger Camp

Good luck. And you're right. It is fun! Way too much fun ;)

Wyandot Jim - I see the ad you refer too, thanks. Are collars ok? I seemt o remember reading somewhere you can't have one, but I can't tell in that pic if he has one.

Lead Ringer - You don't need leather to shoot? If I can shoot by picking the guns up off a table or bench like I've seen in a few videos that would be a great stress reliever as right now I'm trying to decide if I should skimp on the leather or the reloading stuff, right now after buying those 4 new guns something has to give. If I can push the leather off for a few months while I sort everything else out that would be excellent. That jogging stroller idea is interesting too......

Sturm Rooster - Thanks, I'll PM you shortly. I've never reloaded before so any help is appreciated. I have a friend locally who is into action shooting and reloading so once I have accumulated a pile of brass I'll start annoying him with questions too.

Collars are fine. There is no prohibition. Reloading ain't rocket science. Even I figured it out. I do not recommend shooting a match without leather!

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

You're right! The .44 is not a very popular round.

But take heart: You will easily get your own brass back! :lol:

We shoot ONLY .44 S&W's in our outfit too.

Have fun!

Mustang Gregg

First -- before you even shoot once -- DON'T. You'll find the wholly suitable gear you have now will become completely unsuitable -- and then you'll spend $5,000 on gear.

You'll find that the insane people you meet outside the sport are not nearly as much fun as the insane people you meet inside the sport, and you'll spend all your time talking to other cowboy shooters and ignoring your job to put posts on the SASS wire.

You'll turn to handloading (if you don't do this already) to "save" money (to date, I think I've spent about $2,000 saving money this way).

-----

Now -- having said all of that, realize it's meant in fun, and welcome to the fire. Your guns and gear are a good starting place -- don't buy anything to replace it right now. Later on, you may find it's less expensive to shoot .38s (I never have, I remain a .45 shooter).

Holsters and packing gear -- I've never bought used. There are inexpensive holsters at Midway and at Sportsmen's Guide. Buy a shotgun belt and hang your holsters from it (and then later on you can spend a lot of money on the real rig you want, and by then, you'll know what you want).

Clothing -- don't worry about it too much. Do enough to "get in" at your local club to start, and you'll find you'll gradually upgrade to more period clothing as time goes by.

Alias -- Obviously, a lot of the movie and "real west" names are taken. What suits you? What do you like to do or do professionally? Is there a local-to-you, but not nationally famous, historical figure you'd like to portray (I've envied the guy who grabbed the fictional character Flashman as his alias for a long time). And pick ANY alias and join SASS for a year. At the end of the year, you can always change it.

But first and foremost, acquire the holsters and ammo and get shooting. After your first shoot, you'll have the sickness the rest of us have!

Well,

Yes you can have collars on your shirt.

Now about leather. Most of the time the pistols are drawn from holsters. Kind of hard to carry 4 guns to shoot a stage. At the several clubs I shoot at ya need holsters.

The strollers are probably your best bet on a cheap cart. I built my own after several years of using a radio flyer wagon. Happy with mine now.

I don't know if you have already bought your brass or not. But be aware that the Marlin may not like 44 specials. I had one that short fine with 44 Mag but not specials. My Pard had two that would jam with specials. He even sent one back to Marlin when Marlin was Marlin. Still did it. He now has a 73 in 44special. Ya can load a 44mag to 44 special.

WJ

Well,

Yes you can have collars on your shirt.

Now about leather. Most of the time the pistols are drawn from holsters. Kind of hard to carry 4 guns to shoot a stage. At the several clubs I shoot at ya need holsters.

The strollers are probably your best bet on a cheap cart. I built my own after several years of using a radio flyer wagon. Happy with mine now.

I don't know if you have already bought your brass or not. But be aware that the Marlin may not like 44 specials. I had one that short fine with 44 Mag but not specials. My Pard had two that would jam with specials. He even sent one back to Marlin when Marlin was Marlin. Still did it. He now has a 73 in 44special. Ya can load a 44mag to 44 special.

WJ

Wyandot Jim is correct about checking that Marlin to insure it will handle the .44 special.

Ifn it don't, you can send it to Slick and he can fix that timing issue with you to run both the .44 Special and .44 Mag.

OR, ifn you live in E.TN, bring it to me and I'll 'Get R Dun' for ya.

Best regards

..........Widder

Welcome to the fun!

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of comfortable shoes or boots. Get those with all leather uppers and innards. They will conform to your feet better. I prefer hard rubber soles with small grooves (not lugs) if you will be shooting on a grassy or smooth ground.

Regards,

Allie Mo

:FlagAm: 1st and foremost, "Welcome and don't forget to have fun!" I love my .44 spcl's. Carry em while on horseback, NMV's they are and are extremely accurate. I compete with .45 Colt, NMV's and SAA. I could not afford to shoot if I didn't reload. Invest wisely in a Dillon, SDB or 550, get what you can afford. El Paso Saddlery has a quality low end rig, I believe its called the Rio Grande. About that Marlin...you cannot go wrong with it, older ones are sound and reliable. Go to a local boot repair shop and check out the never picked up repaired boots, often times you'd be surprised what you will find for the cost of repair only. Great starting point. Go simple on the clothes, keep checking on the SASS wire for stuff. If you are creative and handy, build a cart. I built my 1st one out of pine, it was pretty cheap to build. I carry match ammo, camera, snacks and water in mine. Alias....what ever suits who you want to be. Have fun with it, I did cuz I use to be alot of things in my 55 years.....Yoos-ta-be-Kid.

I found a good used cart on the SASS classified wire for $200. My son wants in the sport, he can use my guns but needed his own leather. I posted a leather wanted post on the classified wire, a Pard is sending me his used but servicable old rig, for free! I have also gotten a new shirt, a vest and suspenders, free, from folks on the wire. Its a great place to shop. And when you get some gear you are no longer using, give it to somebody else!

You can get a good heavy duty basketweave tool belt at Lowes or Home Depot for about $20. Thye work great for hanging holsters on. I bet somebody at your local club will have a set of holsters they can loan you. Find the contact for your local club and email him, i'm willing to bet he can help you with gunleather.

I buy my ammo from ammotogo.com great prices, exeptional service.

I picked my alias from one of my favoirite cowboy shows, and modified it a bit on a play from my actual last name.

Go shoot at your local club. Everybody I have met in CAS has been just as nice as can be. They will help you out. I do think it helps if you know the basic rules, but don't worry about your outfit. As long as you are in boots, hat, jeans and LS shirt, you will be fine. Lots of time to refine your outfit as time goes by. Help out in your posse. Anybody can pick up brass, and practice counting misses. Seems like nobody likes to count, but its not hard. If you know its a miss, its a miss, if you think its a miss, its a hit. Go and have fun.

38 Special is a more common choice but 44s aren't bad. I shoot the same rifle as you in Wild Bunch and found once-fired 44 mag brass for sale at $0.10 a case. Even if you buy a rifle to shoot 38 specials, keep your Marlin as a backup. You will eventually need one.

For a holster/belt rig, did most of you start off with something used? Is there something good and inexpensive that will get me started and last my first year or so? I've found lots of $300-$600 rigs that are very nice but not a reality for me right now. There are swap tables at some big matches. Keep an eye on them.

The clothing doesn't seem like a big deal, my understanding of the rules is jeans are OK if you ditch the belt loops and labels and add suspender buttons right? I wear trousers with a belt when dressing B-Western. I can't imagine a club complaining about a new shooter wearing a belt. Henley shirts are approved as well correct? Can you get a decent pair of SASS approved boots for under $100? Can anyone offer a link to something comfortable? I wear lace-up boots I bought at a local western boot shop. I paid $110 for the last pair but my wife found the same boots on e-bay for $40 and bought me a second pair.

When building a cart what should I make room for? On your average day, how much are you shooting? Just wondering how much ammo I should make room for. Go small and minimal. A small cart is easier to push around and load and unload from your vehicle. For a six-stage day carry three, 50-round boxes of 44s for you rifle and revolvers. Your will shoot ~120 rounds and have 30 left for a re-shoot if needed. Take two, 25-round boxes of shotgun shells. You will only need one box but if you have a bad day or encounter targets set improperly you many use part of the second box.

Even though I'm brand new and under equipped, should I just go to the next match with what I have or should I wait until I have absolutely everything? Winter is coming. Start now! Life is short. Don't delay fun.

Last question, and might be the most difficult one.... how did you come up with an alias? Can't think of anything that isn't taken. I see things that that would make a good alias all the time. Recently I read that the Morunga Scorpion was the hottest chile pepper in the world. That would work as an alias. I bought pickles in the supermarket recently and saw a bottle of Sweet Gerkins. That would make a nice alias for lady. I was reading about turn of the century comic strips and realized that the Yellow Kid and the Katzenjammer Kids (Hans and Fritz) were available.

Some folks have aliases that leave you doubt as to what to call them. e.g. Cincinnati Silversmith

Try to pick something that will get you called what you want to be called that will be short or naturally shortenable.

Welcome and good luck!

Picking an alias.

2. What do you like to do? Choose an alias from that. I like quail hunting and fine bird guns.
  3. What kind of job do you do? Choose an alias from that. We have a physician from Oklahoma that posts here often.
  4. Take a look at your ancestry. Choose a name of one of your great grandfathers who has an interesting history.
  5. Do you have a prominent physical trait. I know a cowboy who is short in height and calls himself "Too Tall." Don't know how "Big Nose Kate" got her alias.
  6. Are you a little crazy? That gives you a lot of leeway in choosing an alias. Just look at the folks here! ^_^

And since nobody has mentioned it, you don't have to cut the belt loops and manufacturers logos off your jeans.

Some folks may not *like* them and choose to not have them, but they are perfectly within the rules.

I guess you are one of those that don't take the time to read post before you post :rolleyes:

MY POST

A +1 for what others have said.

Just for the record. Justin Ropers work good. Cheap and comfortable and you can wear them other places. Wranglers as is will work blue, black, tan, or whatever and a work type shirt like Wrangler or Sears is fine.

Has worked for me for 11 years.

Look on the SASS home page at the credit card add. That is a World Champ in stock Wranglers. Shot with him and his brother many times and that was all they ever wore.

WJ

"No Name Ian" - I kind of like that.

I actually have a small interest in the Texas Rangers (lawmen, not baseball team) and was thinking of something along those lines.

Pecos Ranger? Ranger Dalton (I like the movie Road House)? I don't know, I'll think of something.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Definitely made this new hobby a little less stressful, I was pretty worried about coming up with all of the necessary items by the 30th. And if I manage to actually pull that off I was worried about showing up with a pile of new stuff somewhere and being the new guy.

"No Name Ian" - I kind of like that.

I actually have a small interest in the Texas Rangers (lawmen, not baseball team) and was thinking of something along those lines.

Pecos Ranger? Ranger Dalton (I like the movie Road House)? I don't know, I'll think of something.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Definitely made this new hobby a little less stressful, I was pretty worried about coming up with all of the necessary items by the 30th. And if I manage to actually pull that off I was worried about showing up with a pile of new stuff somewhere and being the new guy.

Welcome...don't worry about showing up somewhere and being the new guy.We were all the new guy once.

Welcome...don't worry about showing up somewhere and being the new guy.We were all the new guy once.

Yeah, but now you're faster and don't feel out of place. I guess I have to start somewhere.

Archived