SASS Wire Forum

1st post, lots to talk about

ian-NH

Welcome...don't worry about showing up somewhere and being the new guy.We were all the new guy once.

We were ALl the new guy once, and we all had the experience of everyone trying to help. I showed up at my first match with only one pistol and no shotgun, and had people falling over each other to loan me the things I didn't have.

Welcome to the fire. All 90000 or so of us were the new guy at some time in the past. Please introduce yourself as the new guy at your first shoot and I am sure you will make a bunch of new friends, some of which may well last you a lifetime.

McKenzie

Yeah, but now you're faster and don't feel out of place. I guess I have to start somewhere.

Faster???...no...I'm 11 years older and my kness are shot.Plus I changed shooting styles from 2 handed to 1 handed (duelist style).If anything I'm slower now.BUT...I still have fun,still get to play cowboy and still get to hang out with some of the best people you'll ever run across.Just go to a shoot and don't worry about speed.That'll come as you get more aquainted with what we do and the more you shoot.Just go have fun and again...WELCOME.

Yeah, but now you're faster and don't feel out of place. I guess I have to start somewhere.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking faster is the only thing about SASS. I've seen it over and over where a New Guy comes in and tries to go Faster than he can, and fumble fingers his gun and almost has people ducking for cover. I'll say it....Work on shooting the gun and hit targets at a reasonable rate until your muscle memory kicks in. If that means 2-3 seconds per shot...don't get in a hurry...don't think about the Buzzer...just hit the targets. Speed will come later when you don't have to think about it.

SASS is FUN because of the People you shoot with, otherwise you could just go shoot in the Hills by yourself. Yeah, it's a competition, but not when your New. Get the basics down pat before hitting the GAS. 5 seconds for 5 hits is faster than 3 seconds with 2 misses. SPEED comes with TIME...time on the range.

Welcome to SASS and CAS. Get with a Pard and watch him/her and listen to them about what to do. Just sayin'

Jake

Some folks have aliases that leave you doubt as to what to call them. e.g. Cincinnati Silversmith

Try to pick something that will get you called what you want to be called that will be short or naturally shortenable.

Welcome and good luck!

Just don't call me Mo or spell my name Allie Moe and all is good! ;)

"No Name Ian" - I kind of like that.

I actually have a small interest in the Texas Rangers (lawmen, not baseball team) and was thinking of something along those lines.

Ranger Danger came to me. I looked it up and it is available. You could dress B-Western and claim to be an obscure, dime novel hero.

Welcome to the fun, Ian!

.44 is a fine caliber - accurate to boot.The most important thing next to having a good time is SAFETY. I'll allude to Big Jake's post and reiterate that accuracy is a key element here. As far as speed is concerned, remember: Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Take your time in the beginning, and like a fine wine, you'll get better with age :rolleyes:

As far as your alias goes, how 'bout the Emanon Kid ? (no name spelled backwards) There was a tavern by that name that I would frequent as a young man. Funny how it all comes back to alcohol....

Have fun, and enjoy the best shootin' sport going!

WWB

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

You're right! The .44 is not a very popular round.

But take heart: You will easily get your own brass back! :lol:

We shoot ONLY .44 S&W's in our outfit too.

Have fun!

Mustang Gregg

Not all of it. Every time I reload, I get surprised by 5 or 6 of those "downsized cartridges" in with my 45's.

...[*]Do you have a prominent physical trait....Don't know how "Big Nose Kate" got her alias....

Named for John Henry "Doc" Holliday's paramour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Nose_Kate

I picked up a jogging stroler for $1 at a garage sale, frabic was torn but that did not matter. Used holisters and belts $20, looks well used but it is a start. Do not spend big money on leather until you are sure on what you want. Advice from other shooters and I agree. Been a couple of years but now I know what I want, If I a going to spend hundreds of dollars on leather then I only want to do it one time.

Caliber is fine, I prefer to reload. I get the ammo I want. If you need advice I am willing to help, its not hard just needs to be done correctly.

My alias is "corporalcapps". On my mothers side my great,great, great grandfather was in the union army during the civil war. I was a corporal in the army. Hope this gives you a idea on creating a alias.

From a fellow new guy, welcome. I wouldn't worry about your choice of calibers. I've purchased 38's/357's for the wife and I to shoot, but ultimately I hope to buy a pair of .44 Special Bisley's and a '92 44 Mag. I figure it'll be more enjoyable to shoot what I actually enjoy, rather than what may be "best".

With regards to your alias, don't get in a hurry. Mine was changed quite a few times before I finally registered with SASS.

I ran across a very helpful post somewhere about ways to choose your alias. One of the suggestions was to take part of your name from a geographical or some such feature near you such as a mountain, creek, valley. But as others have said, be careful as that's how you will be called. For example, there's a Buffalo Creek and a Turkey Creek near my house, but but neither of those sounded appealing for a name. So, since there's a big cholla cactus west of my home, my home is on a hill, and I love to shoot, I chose Cholla Hill Tirador. Maybe something along Ash Bluff Ian, etc. You say you're interested in the Texas Rangers, you could always do some research and maybe use one of the more obscure Ranger names such as John Barclay Armstrong, Captain Bill McDonald, Bigfoot Wallace, etc.

Good luck and welcome!

CHT

Good advice Cholla!

When I was looking for an alias, I looked at the names on score sheets to get a feel for them. Like you mentioned some folks use places, real people, or a play-on-words.

Hubby, chose his great, great grandfather. He was a SG messenger for Wells Fargo out of the Dakotas in the 1870s and even wrote a book about it, Black Hills Trails. His name was Jesse Brown.

I found a lovely calling card from a great, great aunt. The name on it was Allie M. Molt. The M. looked like Mo and Allie Mo is a play-on-words for Alamo. I loved the idea of being called Allie (Mo, not so much...).

We all find our own stories. Hubby and I were lucky to find names we liked in the beginning. You will want a name that can be easily spoken, abbreviated, and remembered. However don't worry too much, as you can always change it later.

I've had kitties whose names changed over the years...;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

Named for John Henry "Doc" Holliday's paramour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Nose_Kate

Suspect BQ had tongue firmly in cheek...... ;)

Aliases are fun! :)

Mine came from my love for both motorcycle racing and The Magnificent Seven (with Steve McQueen).

Steve McQueen raced motorcycles in southern California under the alias "Harvey Mushman" so the studios would not find out (It was prohibited in his contract) - and he entered some of our club's races with that name - those entry forms are now on display in the motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum.

Take your time with your alias and make connections like these and the others mentioned above.

Harvey

I have seen carts made from wagons, handtrucks, golf carts and even those collapsible hand truck things. In the final analysis you only need to remember two things for your first match. Keep Muzzles more or less down range and never pointed at anyone and the other thing is to have fun!

If you do both of those things we will see you again.

My rifle a rossi 92 does not shoot 44 special with 200 grain bullets (too short and they fly out the top). I shoot 44 specs out of my rugers and the longer 44 Mag out of the rifle. I do reload depending on what I last loaded I load either the longer 44 mags or the shorter 44 spec then adjust the expander and seating dies .100 inch to do the the other caliber. I keep dummy rounds of each to assist in setting the dies.

It is really no big thing to shoot two different rounds one for rifles and one for pistols. Your marlin might like 44 specs especially with longer heavier bullets. Some rifles do not like semi wadcutters. I do find it helps to get a good roll crimp to keep the square edge of the case from dragging on the cylinder walls.

Archived