SASS Wire Forum

American Guns, WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!

Doc Coles SASS 1188

I have long ago sworn not to watch American guns, but made a mistake while I was switching by and saw the section about sporterizing a guy's 1898 Krag. The guy says that its his grandfather's gun and the dolts behind the counter blather on about how its one of the nicest ones they have seen in years. Then the idiot gun owner says "I want to get it sporterized" and the idiots behind the counter agree to do it! WOW!

No ethical gunsmith should agree to do that job. Tell the guy to buy one of the readily available cut up guns and do what he wants to that. Offer to buy the original gun and get him a cut up example to make the way he wants. If it comes right down to it, decline the job. As a gunsmith I, and I presume the idiots at Gunsmoke don't need money bad enough to do this job.

It made my blood boil and I was yelling at the TV. Absolutely disgusting. :angry:

I've watched it twice, twice was enough for me. I get it that it's supposed to be entertainment on TV, but I choose to be entertained elsewhere.

Hey Mad Dog... I have a REALLY nice Swedish Mauser. It all matches, and has the sling, cleaning rod etc. It shoots the 6.5 X 55 unbelievable well.

I want to have it sporterized and made into 357 Colt Python... 6"

What cha think? :blink:

Snakebite

Hey Mad Dog... I have a REALLY nice Swedish Mauser. It all matches, and has the sling, cleaning rod etc. It shoots the 6.5 X 55 unbelievable well.

Snakebite

I think, therefor I am! I used to have one of those in carbine form. Converted it into something useful.. a pistol stocked bolt action and an 12" barrel in 45-70. It was a blast to shoot!

Snakebite

Not exotic enough of a caliber. But you do need to get away from the unimpressive 6.5 ballistics. Needs to be something in the 300-375 gargantuan short action over-bored ultra belted behemoth magnum to take down any four legged thin skinned medium game.

It made my blood boil and I was yelling at the TV. Absolutely disgusting. :angry:

Me too. It looked like they really cut up that original, but I hoped it was another 'fake' build like the "custom howda pistol" that was really a Pedersoli or the 'custom buntline barrel' that had Uberti stampings on it.

It sure looked like they chopped it up to me.

The prices this guy quotes for stuff are so unrealistic too! In return for thousands of dollars they will turn your primo collector grade rifle into a $500 shooter!!

If you kept watching he absolutely bends his "friend" over for $2600 for a S&W 686 with a marginal gunsmith doing some "improvements" and adding a little engraving.

Me too. It looked like they really cut up that original, but I hoped it was another 'fake' build like the "custom howda pistol" that was really a Pedersoli or the 'custom buntline barrel' that had Uberti stampings on it.

Shot my first elk with a 30-40 Krag in original condition. Given to me by my father-in-law. Guys in camp laughed at my old gun. That was until I was the only one who got an elk that year.

Fine rifle. Shot was about 275 yards off hand.

and that's the truth, not some 3 hour marathon story. ;)

If you kept watching he absolutely bends his "friend" over for $2600 for a S&W 686 with a marginal gunsmith doing some "improvements" and adding a little engraving.

Imagine what he would have done to him if he wasn't his "friend."

Yep, it takes a lot of money to support his ego & all that silly-cone on the show. :wacko:

Those clowns on the t.v. could make that happen.

There are just genius. Here's how it could go down. Melt down the mauser and pull up the blue prints for the Python

From the internet. Next machine the python from the melted down mauser. Mix in a little hottie and gunsmith drama and it's done!

Shot my first elk with a 30-40 Krag in original condition. Given to me by my father-in-law. Guys in camp laughed at my old gun. That was until I was the only one who got an elk that year.

This is the biggest pile of HS that I've ever read... any fool knows that you can't shoot an elk with a 30-40 Krag unless it has been sporterized. I just can't believe you would try to sell that load of crap to all these guy on the wire.

GEEEZE!

Snakebite

Wanta swap that gun off?

This is the biggest pile of HS that I've ever read... any fool knows that you can't shoot an elk with a 30-40 Krag unless it has been sporterized. I just can't believe you would try to sell that load of crap to all these guy on the wire.

GEEEZE!

Snakebite

Wanta swap that gun off?

???

I hope that's sarcasm...

???

I hope that's sarcasm...

No need to hope, it is.

The only thing dumber than Gunsmoke is anyone that would waste time looking at it. Except perhaps someone that would give them money to produce it.

I watched and yelled at the tv to, I stopped watching regularly when he wanted to charge a guy $3000 for a Springfield .45acp that lists for $1200, then made a deal with him for $1500. I only watch now if they have a historical gun on it.

Rafe :FlagAm:

I have long ago sworn not to watch American guns, but made a mistake while I was switching by and saw the section about sporterizing a guy's 1898 Krag. The guy says that its his grandfather's gun and the dolts behind the counter blather on about how its one of the nicest ones they have seen in years. Then the idiot gun owner says "I want to get it sporterized" and the idiots behind the counter agree to do it! WOW!

No ethical gunsmith should agree to do that job. Tell the guy to buy one of the readily available cut up guns and do what he wants to that. Offer to buy the original gun and get him a cut up example to make the way he wants. If it comes right down to it, decline the job. As a gunsmith I, and I presume the idiots at Gunsmoke don't need money bad enough to do this job.

Feel yer pain Doc ..........I don't watch it or the one with the blonde with the whiney voice ......good to know some still have ethics .......good on ya Doc

No need to hope, it is.

The only thing dumber than Gunsmoke is anyone that would waste time looking at it. Except perhaps someone that would give them money to produce it.

Gunsmoke is one of the finest programs ever made!

American Guns is one of the worst.

Don't yall laugh when they convert my Browning 410 over under into a side match derringer. Gonna put anything on the market to shame.

Coming to a side match near you. :lol:

Snakebite

Hey Snakebite. When I had my store in the 90's, it was the heyday of the Swedish Mauser importation. I used to joke that I bought them by the cord as I received 20 to 50 a week and always had guys waiting to dig thru and find the treasures. Man those were good times!

Fillmore

Don't yall laugh when they convert my Browning 410 over under into a side match derringer. Gonna put anything on the market to shame.

Coming to a side match near you. :lol:

You will have to shoot it "Gang Banger" style..... :P

Snakebite

Hey Snakebite. When I had my store in the 90's, it was the heyday of the Swedish Mauser importation. I used to joke that I bought them by the cord as I received 20 to 50 a week and always had guys waiting to dig thru and find the treasures. Man those were good times!

Fillmore

I think that I bought mine something back then... got it at Herb Bauer's sporting Goods. I bought it to shoot the long range matches at CVR... and then when (U No Who) put that jacketed round through the front window of a house over in Los Osos, they stopped allowing jacketed ammo. (a good thing). It shoots OK with gas checked hard lead, but with the jacketed stuff it is absolutely amazingly accurate.

They are actually bringing a very good price now. SAMCO can no longer get them, and the surplus supply seems to be drying up.

It has been a tough decision to have it made into a Python. I'm still checking around to get the best price for the conversion.

Snakebite

Howdy:

I gots ya all beat..I want my pristine Luger carbine re-done in .45 Win Mag...Maybe send if down thar and have them do it fer me..whatcha all think?? Maybe even it is supressed???

Seriously..these guys have no idea and the sad part is 99% of the folks that watch the show are just as misinformed as they are. It's scripted..I have been on "Pawn Stars"..some NatGeo episodes and the like and it really is a bit disappointing when you see what all goes on behind the scenes...

Curly

It has been a tough decision to have it made into a Python. I'm still checking around to get the best price for the conversion.

Snakebite

I'll do it! I'll do it! FREE! Can't beat that! I'll read up on what needs to be done, meantime meet me at Adobe Walls with the gun. I'm sure I could get it back to you sometime.

Oh...I thought you were going to say you killed Bin Laden with it.

GG

What's wrong with silly-cone? :lol::wub:

Yep, it takes a lot of money to support his ego & all that silly-cone on the show. :wacko:

Double action conversions of this model and caliber are actually quite common. The semi-auto version is a bit tougher to do and you won't see many of those around. :blink::rolleyes::wacko: I bet the guys from American Guns could do it for you. Now you just have to decide on the finish you want. Black or green spray paint? :lol:

p.s. Magna-porting is gonna cost you a bit extra but is highly recommended. :P

I always wanted a 1.7 x .505 Gibbs in a concealable snubbie! :rolleyes: I wonder if there is a gumsmith that can convert an original Remington O/U Double Deringer to that?

Believe the record elk was killed with a Krag. I slobber all over em at gunshows but haven't bit yet. My pocketbook is still reeling from having THE original Billy Dixon Sharps rebarreled and the wood all redone.

Honestly, I watched maybe 10 minutes of the first episode and never went back. What a croc. <_<

Fake Shop with Fake Boobies where everything cost 10k and that's the only kinda customers he wants.

I been in a lot of shop and never once NO NOT ONCE have I seen a guy offer cash, gold bullion and a Rolex watch for a gun.

Archived