SASS Wire Forum

American Guns, WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!

Doc Coles SASS 1188

I think that I bought mine something back then... got it at Herb Bauer's sporting Goods. I bought it to shoot the long range matches at CVR... and then when (U No Who) put that jacketed round through the front window of a house over in Los Osos, they stopped allowing jacketed ammo. (a good thing). It shoots OK with gas checked hard lead, but with the jacketed stuff it is absolutely amazingly accurate.

They are actually bringing a very good price now. SAMCO can no longer get them, and the surplus supply seems to be drying up.

It has been a tough decision to have it made into a Python. I'm still checking around to get the best price for the conversion.

Snakebite

Hey I Know that" U No Who " guy

Bags

Hey I Know that" U No Who " guy

Bags

I would imagine that you do! :P

Good to hear that you are still around... hope all is well. I'm going to send you a PM... look for it.

Snakebite

Only reason that I watch the show is to see when the fire department or the ambulance is going to show up. I figure that one day they will blow something up and someone will get seriously hurt. My wife keeps saying she needs some of that silly-cone. I tell her that she will lose 3/4 of her brain if she does.

Fake Shop with Fake Boobies where everything cost 10k and that's the only kinda customers he wants.

I been in a lot of shop and never once NO NOT ONCE have I seen a guy offer cash, gold bullion and a Rolex watch for a gun.

Maybe not that costly but I do remember many years ago of a certain sporting goods store in Lubbock, TX where if you weren't interested in a new Belgian Browning, German Weatherby, etc. then, well, you just weren't their kind of customer.

I have long ago sworn not to watch American guns, but made a mistake while I was switching by and saw the section about sporterizing a guy's 1898 Krag. The guy says that its his grandfather's gun and the dolts behind the counter blather on about how its one of the nicest ones they have seen in years. Then the idiot gun owner says "I want to get it sporterized" and the idiots behind the counter agree to do it! WOW!

No ethical gunsmith should agree to do that job. Tell the guy to buy one of the readily available cut up guns and do what he wants to that. Offer to buy the original gun and get him a cut up example to make the way he wants. If it comes right down to it, decline the job. As a gunsmith I, and I presume the idiots at Gunsmoke don't need money bad enough to do this job.

It made my blood boil and I was yelling at the TV. Absolutely disgusting. :angry:

I will not watch the show my self.

I fill the guy prostitutes out his daughter and his wife for the camera.

A real peace of $hit if you ask me.

I've seen the show once and it happened to be the criminal Krag affair - I nearly wept! Short of painting it pink and using it as a tomato-stake, I can scarcely imagine a better way to destroy a beautiful, historic firearm!! Then when he gouged his "friend" on that S&W it was just beyond belief...even for "reality" TV!(and was reminded why I almost NEVER watch any of it!)

I wouldn't buy a two dollar water-pistol from that ethically-bankrupt operator!!

I will not watch the show my self.

I fill the guy prostitutes out his daughter and his wife for the camera.

A real peace of $hit if you ask me.

Agreed. That show is an embarrassment to all legitimate gunsmiths and dealers. It is nothing but a scripted lie from start to finish and anyone who appears on it is just as guilty in perpetrating that lie as the owners and producers of that show. Just because it features guns does not make it good for gun owners

I wonder how much they would charge to change my Colts into Uberti's?

I'll do it for free... send me the Colts... I send you the Ubertis

Snakebite

I'll do it for free... send me the Colts... I send you the Ubertis

Snakebite

That is not the same as having a $6,000 pair of Uberti's. Is this a trick....................

Roo

That is not the same as having a $6,000 pair of Uberti's. Is this a trick....................

Roo

How could you even begin to doubt someone called Snake! If you have $6,000 invested in the Colts, then you will also have $6,000 invested in the Uberti's. I can guarantee this.

(I must insist that you pay shipping.... both ways)

Snakebite :ph34r:

Last week I was channel surfing while stuck in a hotel and landed on the show. The shop's owner was actually at the S&W factory talking about how he can "modify" a J-frame better than their custom shop. It was such a crock of poo, but it made me sad that S&W would even consider being connected with the show.

I watch it, but then I watched Superman...even though you'll never convince me he was "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" weakened by Kryptonite. I mean seriously, even if Kryptonite really did weaken him, lead would protect him. As strong as he was, he could have worn a lead suit, always been protected from Kryptonite, and still able to fly. "Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Leadman!

I think it's funny that reality TV isn't reality, but we expect it to be. I watch it. I know it's seriously "made for TV." I laugh to myself at the staged drama. "But Dad, I need to go to Italy (?) now or else I will never be the most awesome engraver the world has ever seen!"

I understand the dismay of "destroying" a very nice old gun. The mere thought of what The Dukes of Hazzard did to thin the herd of '69 Chargers breaks my heart. With all that, I'm glad producers are producing shows about guns and particularly on networks like Discovery and The History Channel. These networks expose WAY more people to guns and the fact that they can be used for recreation and protection (guns are not inherently bad) than the more "accurate" shows we see on The Outdoor Channel. We "gun nuts" will pay to get The Outdoor Channel while the person who wasn't raised with guns as a part of their life likely won't.

I've often told my children that sayings come about as a result of many people experiencing the "same" lessons in life. The saying that comes to mind here is "Don't shoot yourself in the foot." In my mind, any TV show that shows guns in a positive light...is our friend. If Neilsen calls me, I'll swear I never miss an episode.

Every time I watch American Guns, I think of a guest who came on the Wire a year or so ago claiming to be a producer looking for a family owned gun shop to be featured in their show. Most were rude to the guest. I remember Slick McClade speaking up in his typical nice-guy fashion and expressing an interest in having his shop featured. I wonder who the guest was. Could it be? Did we...shoot ourselves in the foot?

Despite the old saying, there is such a thing as bad publicity. This show, above all the other "reality" gun show on at the moment, makes gun owners and dealers look like idiots. It also encourages viewers to do bad things to rare guns and promotes extremely shoddy work.

I do not expect reality TV to be real, I know its fake and pointless so I don't waste my time on it. The only thing real about this show is the bad work they do (or at least present). This show is not a good way to expose people to the shooting sports.

As a kid I would go to "deer camp" with my grandfather and I met some memorable characters there. One of the standouts was another kid about my age (10-12) who had a near perfect round hole in the top of his right boot. He told me how he was holding his shotgun with the barrel on the top of his boot and accidentally (I'm guessin' here) pulled the trigger blowing a hole in his boot and removing a toe. I remember thinking how stupid he had to be to put the gun there in the first place, but considering he was wearing the boots and advertising that he had shot himself in the foot was beyond stupid.

For any collectors looking for this rare gun, here are 14 to choose from. I'm guessing that this one is a steal.

I don't personally believe that just any gun/shooting exposure is good. I've seen some exposure from the Full Auto guys shooting up everything from this to that with hundreds.... thousands of rounds. Tearing up trees and everything else in the path. Shooting exploding targets and showing the full destructive potential of their weapons. Now don't get me wrong.... it looked like fun to me...but I am a long time gun advocate, and even done a little of that myownself! But, I didn't do it where crowds of non gunners could view it. To many folks that type of gun play is nothing less than frighting and intimidating. Some of the guys seem to display what appeared to be a complete lack of self control. Kinda like the pictures on the NEWS that show some of the middle easterners shooting into the air celebrating some event. I'm not advocating against anyone, but lets face it... some gun activities don't play well with the average citizen/public. I would like to see more so-called, wholesome shooting activities made available to the average viewer.... something like Cowboy Action Shooting. Sure... it is on an obscure satellite channel that few viewers subscribe to, but just think how much better it would be if it were on one of the channels that everyone gets. Seems that other stuff gets to where the viewing public can see it ... ever wonder why CAS or other wholesome shooting events don't get more air time on channels that are viewed by the average citizen? I'd bet it is NOT because the viewing public ask for it... but rather, because the liberal media knows that it will promote the anti-gun cause if they show the side of shooting and gun ownership that scares the public rather than the non-intimidating side of guns.

Snakebite

I tend to agree with all of the above. However, I do enjoy the CNC work they do and it still beats "Dancing with the Stars." At least it has guns. It's only entertainment; just don't expect more than that from it. ;-)

Archived