SASS Wire Forum

What brand of TV

Perro Del Diablo

My daughter had a Visio. It was a POS. YMMV.

My daughter had a Visio. It was a POS. YMMV.

I had one it broke after 12 months had to fight with them, but finally got it fixed :angry:

Next time I bought a Sony.

we have had our Vizio 46" HD for 4 years and not a problem with it at all, we would buy another one

I've had a 47" LG from Walmart for 18 months. Works great.

Have a Samsung DLP 52,it was great for 5 years,then kaput!Still messing with it though,it freezes up and we have to unplug it for awhile then it might work,we have smaller ones in the bedrooms though.Make sure to ask what the life span is and get an exstended warranty,we are savin for a new one but i don't want Samsung again becuase of thier no customer service,make sure ya get good customer service,HDMI in the tv and the reciever,we thought we had a good reciever but had no HDMI hook up,my dughter has had a Westinghouse and she loves it and just got another one.Another thing is make sure YOU have control of all settings,on our Samsung you can't adjust the tint. :angry: Buying online right now and you don't have to pay shipping..

The better half works for a call in service center that covers Best Buy.The most frequent TV called in on for repairs is Samsung.Best Buy has instructions that those are factory warranteed sets.Problem is,Samsung won't answer the lines when someone tries to call in for repairs.Visio is supposed to be a good brand as is Sony.

We have both Samsung and Sanyo - can't tell a dime's worth of difference between them and both have been trouble free since we got 'em four years ago.

52" Samsung LCD still going strong after 3 years.

Same here, and it's seen a lot of use down in the basement game room with the kids watching movies, TV, and playing games.

Have a Toshiba flat screen in the kitchen that works well, but sometimes has issues with our Comcast cable box. Easy fix to unplug and replug the HDMI cable, but annoying.

One thing I do when researching out such a purchase is to check amazon for the makes and models I'm considering. Read the customer reviews. A small percentage of bad reviews doesn't scare me off much, as there are lemons with any brand. But sometimes you can see a trend of a problem or less than worthwhile feature. FWIW, I bought my Samsung from amazon, best price I could find and no problems with delivery or anything else.

So far so good with our Vizio.

Same here! At the time I was buying the TV review sites all pointed to the Panasonic as the top of the line in plasma,

at that time for specific models, which is what we ended up buying.

An additional note, in the old days the rule of thumb for a 4x3 aspect ratio TV (the old style we all know and loved),

was that the optimal viewing distance was around 4 times the diagonal. On a 42" diagonal TV you'd want to be about

168" back, or about 14 feet, which was probably about the size of a living room. On the newer aspect 9:16 TV's, the

rule seems to be 3x the aspect ration. On a 42" diagonal you'd be 10.5" away, and since my LR is about 15 feet - I

have to agree - a 52" or 55" would work better.

I like the Panasonic Plasma TV's for their color, once you adjust them to your room lighting and color scheme, plus

your own personal biases about intensity and such, they're magnificent.

Shadow Catcher

I'm considering up grading my TV to a HD 1080p probably 42 or 46 inch flat screen. Seen good price on Visio any recommendations and value for $$$

Visio is considered an entry level flatscreen TV. I've had a 37" in the living room, and a 32" in the bedroom for over a year now. No complaints. You can buy a SONY for more than twice the price. It's better, but not twice as good.

One thing about flatscreens, don't leave it on when you are not watching it. The screen is back lit, and when that bulb burns out, it's time for a new one. They definatly have a built in obsolescence. You won't get 20 or 30 years out of a flatscreen like you did with a good CRT TV. Anything over five years is gravy.

Another thing is, don't get a Plasma Flatscreen.

Watching one burns more electricity than a toaster running continuously.

Ford beats Chevy and Dodge everyday :lol:

Vizio is good - after we had it replaced :rolleyes: . It's been three years and it's as good as any other IMHO. Customer service was very good in the ordeal

However, the next TV will be a 50+" Samsung.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I didn't read the whole thread but:

Make sure the speakers on the TV actually point out into the room. A lot of them don't.

If you are not running it thru an "entertainment center" it is tough to hear.

Same here! At the time I was buying the TV review sites all pointed to the Panasonic as the top of the line in plasma,

at that time for specific models, which is what we ended up buying.

An additional note, in the old days the rule of thumb for a 4x3 aspect ratio TV (the old style we all know and loved),

was that the optimal viewing distance was around 4 times the diagonal. On a 42" diagonal TV you'd want to be about

168" back, or about 14 feet, which was probably about the size of a living room. On the newer aspect 9:16 TV's, the

rule seems to be 3x the aspect ration. On a 42" diagonal you'd be 10.5" away, and since my LR is about 15 feet - I

have to agree - a 52" or 55" would work better.

I like the Panasonic Plasma TV's for their color, once you adjust them to your room lighting and color scheme, plus

your own personal biases about intensity and such, they're magnificent.

Shadow Catcher

+1 on the Panasonic plasmas.

Have they gotten the reliability issues straightened out with the plasmas? When we were looking, that was a big concern about them.......... :blush:

Buck, my son-in-law works for the local cable company, and according to him, yes they have. The other thing about the new plasmas is they don't generate nearly as much heat as their predecessors did. They still burn more electricity than LCD's or LED's, but I still bought a plasma for the living room because we actually don't run it very much. My wife and I watch more TV in our bedroom than the living room. We have a 52 inch Mitsubishi DLP in the bedroom, and that poor thing stays on so much, we have to replaced the bulb in it about every 14 months. :rolleyes:

Well you guys are great. The threads here are better than consumer reports. I did measure my room and looks like 16 feet to my chair. I don't have entertainment system other than DVD and yes I still have a VCR. I am leaning to the LED side. My current TV is 12 yo Sanyo 32 inch. Still works good but want to be able to see cowboys better. Dang guess my eyes are getting old :-)

Archived