SASS Wire Forum

Christmas eve dinner

Rye Miles #13621

We do the traditional Italian Christmas eve dinner at my Sis' house. 7 different kinds of fish, spaghetti with clam sauce, bread, salad and other veggies. I always have a couple of glasses of wine, it's a great dinner. Smelts, shrimp, calamari, bucala, perch,scallops and eel. I love sea food! ;)

Whatyall eatin???

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

This year - something different:

Chateaubriand steak, spinich salad with a homemade red wine vinegrette, hash brown cheddar potato casserole, and a nice wine....

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR 2012

GG ~ :FlagAm:

A family tradition. Momma and myself attend the evening Church service so we usually have just a light supper. Big tradition is when we get home, cookies and tea.

Tradition goes back to when I was a boy. In our small town lived two widow ladies that took in ironing to make ends meet. My Dad and Mom, being caring folks, took them our ironing and would add in a few food items once in a while. We were not financially rich by any means but I never knew my folks to turn away anyone that was in need. Anyway, these two sweet ladies would bake Christmas cookies for their customers. We would set them aside for Christmas eve. After Church, we would rush home and have cookies and tea. My Dad was a tea drinker. They are all gone now, but the memory stirs every Christmas eve, as I sit alone at the kitchen table with my cookies and tea. Captain Jack joins me for his "share" so I guess a new tradition is starting. :lol:

I never realized how special that tradition would become in my later years, but each year, it becomes very meaningful to me and I can recall those wonderful days as a boy growing up. Christmas is magic.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

EVERYONE.

Don't know what we will have. We are going to Paris so Christmas Eve dinner will be something from a French menu. We are going to cook a traditional Christmas Dinner if we can purchase the makings. Should be fun!

Blackfoot

Guest Rio Grande Slim

We generally have cold meat and cheese sandwitches, mini sausages in red sause, a vegetable plate with french onion dip and chili con queso (cheese dip) we also have lots and lots of Tamalies.

yumm I hungry just writing this.

nothing special for Christmas eve dinner but for Christmas dinner it will be fresh Smoked turkey and Ham

We do the traditional Italian Christmas eve dinner at my Sis' house. 7 different kinds of fish, spaghetti with clam sauce, bread, salad and other veggies. I always have a couple of glasses of wine, it's a great dinner. Smelts, shrimp, calamari, bucala, perch,scallops and eel. I love sea food! ;)

Whatyall eatin???

Can I come to your house?.:unsure: .....I will bring a nice Amador County Cab :)

Whatyall eatin???

gosh, Ryes I dunno... lol. There were four children in the original family, I came along (from under a rock) so six (I have a different mom than the rest).. and then dad married a woman with two children so seven children.. so, I guess you could say we had Christmas dinner on just that day after our chores were done.. lol.. Growing up with milking cattle, beefers, horses, pigs, rabbits, chickens pets and a raccon I guess you could say we were happy to have time alone. So by tradition we do not to this day have a Christmas eve dinner. I created a Barbarian day stole the idea from a friend really.. lol.. but nothing on the eve.. Very cool tradition ... We just ate a noisy meal, sat out cookies and fruitcake for the santa I my homeplace that really ate that stuff.. lol.. And slept until morning.

I am not a big fish kinda gal. Picky about most of it, but hey if it moooooos and is rare I will chase it down and eat it.. lol

Venison and all the fixens .

Merry Christmas to all.

Traditional Polish diner for this cowboy. The women have already had a Perogi making party so there will be plenty of Cheese, Potato, and kraut Perogis along with fish, potato soup (we gave up on Borcht years ago). Before we sit down to dinner to wafers will come out and we will whish each other health, wealth and happiness shake hands or embrace and move on the the next relitive and do it all over again. The extended family will be gathered along with all the kids neices, nephews, old geezers like me, husbands, wives, brothers and sisters and we will sing Carols. Our folks used to sing Polish carols in Polish but theres only three of the women left that know them. Santa will come by along about 10PM park his rig on the roof and come in the back door. All the dads will go out to the sleigh and unload the presents and bring them in so Santa can distribute them to the kids. It's been that way since I can remember. It was strarted by mu moms brothers and sisters and has been passed down to my generation and now the third generation has taken it over. There must be something timeless and right there as it has survived even though all but a couple of those that started it after WW2 are gone.

Bugs

Traditional Polish diner for this cowboy. The women have already had a Perogi making party so there will be plenty of Cheese, Potato, and kraut Perogis along with fish, potato soup (we gave up on Borcht years ago). Before we sit down to dinner to wafers will come out and we will whish each other health, wealth and happiness shake hands or embrace and move on the the next relitive and do it all over again. The extended family will be gathered along with all the kids neices, nephews, old geezers like me, husbands, wives, brothers and sisters and we will sing Carols. Our folks used to sing Polish carols in Polish but theres only three of the women left that know them. Santa will come by along about 10PM park his rig on the roof and come in the back door. All the dads will go out to the sleigh and unload the presents and bring them in so Santa can distribute them to the kids. It's been that way since I can remember. It was strarted by mu moms brothers and sisters and has been passed down to my generation and now the third generation has taken it over. There must be something timeless and right there as it has survived even though all but a couple of those that started it after WW2 are gone.

Bugs

Sounds like a wonderful tradition. Bless you for keeping it going.

We have one of those Ron Popeils Showtime...set it and forget it machines. We're cooking a huge prime rib of Beef and my Daughter and her Boyfriend are bringing 6-7 lbs of Alaskan King Crab Legs....Yummy. We've done this before and I can't wait. Just sayin'

Big Jake

We have one of those Ron Popeils Showtime...set it and forget it machines. We're cooking a huge prime rib of Beef and my Daughter and her Boyfriend are bringing 6-7 lbs of Alaskan King Crab Legs....Yummy. We've done this before and I can't wait. Just sayin'

Big Jake

oh my gosh.. growing weak a the knees.. lol... Prime rib, rare fo course and crablegs with butter and garlic right.. what time will you and your wife be expecting me? lol..

We don't have any traditional Christmas Eve dinner.

That's us, too, Grizz. Don't know if our meal will be pizza, but its usually nothing special. Steak and a baked potato would suit me just fine.

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy, I'm sicilian so it's fish on christmas eve, I'm making bouilbase for a few friends, lobster,clams,shrimp,scallops,cod,pollack,crab legs in a tomato sauce seasoned with herbs, spices and saffron. Several loafs of french bread to slop up the sauce.

Merry Christmas and Buona Fortuna my friend

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

What-ever fowl is too silly to stand still long enough for me draw a bead on. ;)

Might have some pea salad, macaroni & chesse, bread stuffing, cranberrry sauce, hot rolls with a tub of real butter and some fresh honey.....might make up some red beans and cornbread just to take up a little table space.

Fer desert, a spice cake, apple cobbler with ice cream, and a pie or two wandering about.

Or............we may just take the easy route and pack it in fer Denny's. ^_^

'Coon and collards with all the trimmimgs,

Cooked to please, by all the wimmins,

'Possum and taters and a side of grits,

And hope to hell it don't give ya the s---s.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hope everybody has a good one.

Howdy, I'm sicilian so it's fish on christmas eve, I'm making bouilbase for a few friends, lobster,clams,shrimp,scallops,cod,pollack,crab legs in a tomato sauce seasoned with herbs, spices and saffron. Several loafs of french bread to slop up the sauce.

Merry Christmas and Buona Fortuna my friend

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Buona Natale to you my Italian friend B) Rye

Christmas eve dinner out at our place has traditionally been an Old English traditional dinner...roast beef, horseradish, roasted potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, etc. Usually a big peach and raspberry trifle for dessert. Like I said, a traditional Old English Christmas dinner. Our families (both my wife's and mine) are originally from the Isle of Man, and my grandfather continued the old traditions.

We do our big meal on Christmas day.This year we have along with my 89 yr old mother and her 90 yr old cousin,2 couples I shoot with and a recently divorced friend.They don't have family close to here.For Christmas eve it'll be either pizza or maybe Arby's.

Whatyall eatin???

Rye, . . I'd never heered of an Italian Christmas Eve Dinner. . . sounds great. We are having a Christmas Eve party in the saloon here at the Ranch. Don't know what the food is to be. :)

Not much for Christmas eve, just the wife and I. Christmas day she will be baking a beef briscut that I will smoke the day before. The rest is regular Sunday dinner stuff. Mashed taters w/gravey, fresh hot rolls, a veggie or 2 and salad. Afterwards homemade mince pie with ice cream.Our son and his lady friend will be guests.We will have fresh tamales & chorizo scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Whatyall eatin???

We celebrate Christmas on the eve, due to my darling new brides traditions. I grew up celebrating on Christmas day, but needs must . . .

For Saturday night, Christmas eve, we are having Prime Rib Roast (2, 6 lbs each), roasted potatoes, and various other sides.

Dessert will be a ginger spice cake with fresh whipped cream. The Test Kitchen folks have a low and slow recipe I am looking to try,

it promises to give fork cutting tender beef. Of course there will be a Horseradish sauce for the beef . . .

Christmas day the balance of the young'uns will be over, so we'll do a brunch with potato pancakes, sausages, crepe's, and other stuff . . .

T'is the season to enjoy, but in moderation . . .

Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year!

Shadow Catcher

I'm usually busy doing last minute gift wrapping. :lol:

Archived