SASS Wire Forum

Mixing up your shooting style.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

I just shot my 4th match in a row duelist. It has been a blast. Don't be afraid to go outside your comfort zone a bit. It's been a nice break from shooting two handed. And actually kinda relit a little flame. Try it,you'll like it.

Duece, I've been shooting duelist for 15 years. 5 years ago I went to FCD, I've tried to shoot two handed but I'm kinda off kilter with that. I guess that's because I shoot everything one handed, (1911's, Glocks etc) I've tried GF a couple of times at our wed. shoot so that's the next probable step. FCGF. I agree, everyone should try sumthin different once and awhile. At our Wed. and Sunday shoots at Firelands we don't use any categories so the idea is you can try a different shooting style on any stage. Rye ;)

I just shot my 4th match in a row duelist. It has been a blast. Don't be afraid to go outside your comfort zone a bit. It's been a nice break from shooting two handed. And actually kinda relit a little flame. Try it,you'll like it.

Brother D, way to go! Just wondering what your observations are on stage shooting sequence design? We always hear how stages are gunfighter friendly etc? Your thoughts from a duelist extroidinaire point of view?

I switched from shooting two handed smokeless to frontier cartridge (two handed) a couple of years ago. Will shoot CAC in FC category then plan to switch to FCD. Gives me the winter to dry fire practice and shoot local matches.

My question to you Deuce, are you shooting straight duelist or double duelist?

This year I have shot: Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, Standard Gunfighter, Two handed, and duelist (Classic Cowboy). The variety does make for some fun, except for the Classic Cowboy thing in which I took a horrible whupp’in. :(

Spittoon

I shot DD at one of our local matches this summer. Pretty fun. I just bought a pair of lowered hammers for the NMV's. When I get them in I'll try some more, soon GF. I like to mix it up a little, but I know I'm missimg my shot at the new Cadillac. Oh well!

Cash

I hear you.....been shooting a little gunfighter the past few months......LOTS of room for improvement there.......just shot FCGF last weekend......

Stan

Duece, I agree, while I shoot two handed most of the time, now and then I shoot a stage or two double duelist and have a ball. And I got a kick out of shooting the gunfighter side match at an annual this summer, don't know that my brain is up to shooting a match GF yet, but I will try it eventually.

A couple of times a year us BP guys get together and one month we shoot FC, next month FCD then Frontiersman. It's fun and interesting to see the times.

When I started shooting, I had just turned 60 and couldn't conceive of holding a SA with 2 hands. I signed up as a Senior Duelist and have never considered doing anything else, but did go to DD last year.

Last week, I was out on the front porch doing a little gun maintenance/practice and decided to try two handed. Boy, that was wierd; probably never be ready for prime time, but it was fun.

Sheesh - I can barely remember what I'm trying to do out there, without switching classes!

Still - I like shooting duelist, and I'm hankering to try gunfighter, which I would do if I could; sadly, my left hand might just as well be a hook!

Spealing of which, I shot with Lead Dispencer last Sunday. He was trying gunfighter for the first time ever. It was a bit funbly. Of course there was that stage that he won outright. Shooting Gunfighter for the first time. With a miss...

Deuce, you fast guys make me shake my head....

;-)

FJT

I agree with you. When I feel like being different I'll shoot GF.

Sheesh - I can barely remember what I'm trying to do out there, without switching classes!

Still - I like shooting duelist, and I'm hankering to try gunfighter, which I would do if I could; sadly, my left hand might just as well be a hook!

Spealing of which, I shot with Lead Dispencer last Sunday. He was trying gunfighter for the first time ever. It was a bit funbly. Of course there was that stage that he won outright. Shooting Gunfighter for the first time. With a miss...

Deuce, you fast guys make me shake my head....

;-)

FJT

FJT,

I recently sat in on a GF class taught by Buck D Law. He was lecturing with his guns pointed down range alternating pistols just dry firing away like chewing gum. I also shoot with 5 time GF World Champion Easy Rider. Gunfighters rock, I mean rock how fast and how well they shoot. When Easy Rider is "on it" very few two handed shooters will out shoot him. I've tried GF and I think I'll stick to double duelist. A few years ago in the GA championship Fast Eddie and I tried teaming for the team shoot. I was to shoot two handed traditional style. After my 4 attempts of firing a pistol two handed the crowd LAUGHING behind me kicked me off the firing line! Either way Deuce is right, it sure is fun changing categories sometimes....

I just switched to Gunfighter this summer. I am usually shooting BP. I am shooting LFCD at Comin At Cha. I am loving it. If I am doing duelist I do Double Duelist. I have not shot 2 handed since July when I got my new guns and started 1 handed.

Painted Filly

that's strong point about BW,,,may have tu dress fer it but yu can schute yur peestols anyway u wunt...

way cool

Cheyenne :)

A couple of times a year us BP guys get together and one month we shoot FC, next month FCD then Frontiersman. It's fun and interesting to see the times.

It IS fun, I just can't get the idea of two hands on the pistols down anywhere near consistantly...

I am so totally right handed that anything other than duelist is out of the question. I tried going back to two handed shooting in a side match and it was a riot. I had no idea what to do with either hand. I wound up shooting supported duelist.

Lead Bane tried something(I've been told) at an Arkansas shoot early this month. He shot pistol two handed but used only one gun and reloaded 5 rounds on each stage. Still averaged in the mid 30s.

Shooting double duelist is a challenge. So is shooting double duelist "outlaw" style. Some day, I would like to try shooting gunfighter "outlaw" style. It's all about having fun and challenging yourself. Happy trails, Squint

that's strong point about BW,,,may have tu dress fer it but yu can schute yur peestols anyway u wunt...

way cool

Cheyenne :)

Good point CC, ya may just see me show up in some fancy duds one day!:) Rye

Funny you mentioned changing shooting style. I normally shoot two handed (reg powder). A couple of weeks ago I showed up at a match shooting FC. I know nothing about BP! But it was a real rush :rolleyes: It put a huge smile on my face :lol: Today I ordered 25LBS of GOEX :ph34r:

May the force be with me! I think I will need it!

Ringer

I'm match director for our next monthly shoot. Read a post about a "no cat" shoot a couple of months ago. Our shoot will be a "no cat" shoot. We will try to write stages to encourage people to try different styles. You can shoot your usual style or try shooting them all.

You can also try switching guns, the variety can add to the fun.

Last couple of shoots, each stage I rotated between a Spencer, a '73 and a Lightning; for pistols it was a pair of Schofields or a pair of open-tops. Came in at the bottom for each match, but boy did I get comments. :)

Well,

We shot a match with a category called "Gunsharp" that required you to shoot each stage a different style; Traditional, Duelist, Double Duelist, Gunfighter & Outlaw. It was predetermined which stages each style would be shot. Only a handful of folks gave it a try. Being a gunfighter the most trying stage was shooting Traditional with two hands on the same pistol.Yet, it was my best stage of the day. It really is easier to maintain sight alignment with two hands supporting a pistol. I'll shoot "Gunsharp" again if it's offered.Shooting BP once in a while is a hoot.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

We have offered "Gunsharp" a couple of times on our range,and everyone who has tried it has loved it.

Unpleasant had the idea,I gave it the name.

Goes the same every time in the order that Keystone mentioned. No matter what is written for a

particular stage so that no one has a pre-planned advantage.

If you shoot at a club that always has six stages in a monthly,you could throw in Josey Wales!

We are offering Gunsharp as a category,again,in December at Oak Ridge,Tn.

Harley.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I just shot my second "Duelist" match and it was a lot of fun (and one shot short of a clean match)

I also left the 97 on the cart and used my old hammer gun dbl

I got him to do that more than once....it never quite stuck....Yet :lol:

Duece will try anything http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/5r4/DSC_0390.jpg Here he is shooting GF black powder.

Besides my lack of talent, I am always trying a different category which enforces my mediocrity. I enjoy shooting, competing and love to try different things. I've shot every category I could with the exception of B Western and I'll probably give that a whirl one day.

kk

My style is always 2 really good, fast stages...1 train wreck.. 2 or 3 more good stages..another train wreck..ect. :angry:

Yep I shoot the same way.

When I want to totally switch things up I shoot a stage fast and clean :) as for styles I'm slower than molasses! most of my leather gear is home

Made out of old boots, leather scraps, and animal hides I cured I couldn't be fast if I wanted tto. To switch things up I used to switch my rigs every stage cross draw right hand strong, cross draw left hand strong, both strong. Now as soon as my hand heals up and decides to behave itself and start working ill try shooting outlaw again. The only good thing about my left hand not working is I'm getting dang good at shooting my sxs right handed outlaw. Ya just have to make sure you have a good grip when hip shooting a 12 ga with one hand.

Evil dogooder

Archived