SASS Wire Forum

Filler for reduced BP load.

I needed to make a reduced .38 load for my honey. I used grits but that made the guns feel pardon me for saying this gritty after a few stages.Any suggestions as to what else I might use for a filler.Have also tried the round insulation cut up.Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sgt H :FlagAm:

I use grits to reduce loads in the large cases but since reducing case sizes I am down to just the 44-40 using fillers now. The 44 Russian reduces the spec and mag while the 45cowoy reduces the Schofield and Colt cases. There are small cases that will do the same for the .38 but the problem is with getting close to minimum required loads when you go much lower than .38s. I am not sure about the exact minimum so you might seek guidance there and see how the 38 capacity fares. I have never noticed gritty guns BUT will affirm that the powdered residue from grits, and most other fillers capable of metering through your powder measure, will bog down the reloaders fairly quickly and often. Other type fillers require insertion with each round and this can double or triple loading time for any given number of rounds. This is the reason that where ever possible it is better to go to a smaller caliber or shorter case size to reduce the bp loads.

Black Dawg makes a ground corncob filler that they use in their loads.

I've used it for years.

Very consistent.

Look in the "catalog" section

Black Dawge Link

--Dawg

I don't usually agree with reducing BP loads for any caliber and you have to be very careful when doing so with the 38 spl. It does not hold that much to start with. If you dump your powder charges first and then put the charged cases into a loading block for the next steps. Put a card of felt or vegetable wad over the charge and then add your grits, cream of wheat or similar material to the proper level. Seat the bullet and crimp them. I have put together some like these in 45Colt and 44-40 for folks to try. The wad of felt seems to work well and keeps the barrel free of any bad fouling. This does require extra time but you are doing something that was not done with the shells of old. If you shoot these in the revover and regular loads in the rifle, she should be fine with the recoil.

Guest Cactus Cris SASS#2790

I used Malto-Meal in the reduced loads for the Buckaroo loads for WR. A 128gr RNFP on top. He shot them out of a pair of Gaucho 4 1/2" pistols. He also used the same loads out of his 66 Carbine. I also used APP 3f as the powder. He shot WR (12 stages & 4 warm-up stages) with out needing to clean and didn't miss a rifle target. So I can say that this load works just fine! -_-

I don't usually agree with reducing BP loads for any caliber and you have to be very careful when doing so with the 38 spl. It does not hold that much to start with. If you dump your powder charges first and then put the charged cases into a loading block for the next steps. Put a card of felt or vegetable wad over the charge and then add your grits, cream of wheat or similar material to the proper level. Seat the bullet and crimp them. I have put together some like these in 45Colt and 44-40 for folks to try. The wad of felt seems to work well and keeps the barrel free of any bad fouling. This does require extra time but you are doing something that was not done with the shells of old. If you shoot these in the revover and regular loads in the rifle, she should be fine with the recoil.

Actually, .45 Colt started out as a 40 grain load but was reduced to 35 by the use of a cork wad because the recoil was too severe. Some civilian loadings were further reduced to 30 grains by using a thicker cork wad. This was done in the 1870's for the same reason as today. Recoil reduction. I use grits in both .44-40 and .45 because my arthritic hands just can't stand the pounding any more. :)

Activated charcoal. Essentially same as the charcoal that is in the BP itself. Use a granulation that is called 28-35 (passes a 35 mesh screen, retained on a 28 mesh screen), made for water filtration, and it will meter through most powder measures.

Does not seem to cake up, draw moisture, form plugs over a long time, nor cause a "snowfall" of white particles like most of the cereal fillers do.

Good luck, GJ

Don't know if they still do it, but Powder Inc used to sell a non cereal filler. Ground walnut shells fron the fine lizzrad litter will be my next experiment. 38s with light compression shouldn't be too bad in any case.

CR

Black Dawg makes a ground corncob filler that they use in their loads.

I've used it for years.

Very consistent.

Look in the "catalog" section

Black Dawge Link

--Dawg

I too, use this Black Dawge finely ground corncob filler with my Cowboy Goex loads in pistol/rifle. Good stuff.

Howdy Sgt, the 38sp barely holds enough BP to meet the 1cc smoke standard, approx 1.2cc is all it holds with about 1/16" to 1/8" compression using the 158gr big lube bullet. That only leaves about enough room for 1/8" of filler and still meet the 1cc minumim smoke standard. My suggestion would be to work with her on technique, the difference between 1cc and 1.2cc is gonna be hardly noticeable in felt recoil. One other way to reduce the recoil would be to use 2f instead of 3f, this will be a softer load but would not burn as clean as 3f. Using a good clean burning powder like Schuetzen will make a difference. The smoke standard is based on 1cc of 2f.

It is expected the blackpowder competitor shall contend with smoke obscured targets. To insure this, all shotgun, revolver, and rifle powder charges must produce smoke at least equivalent to a base line load of 15 grains by volume (1 cc) of ffg blackpowder

Another good option that Beartrap suggested would be to use the .38 long colt brass, it holds right at 1cc and still allows about an 1/8"+ compression. FWIW I have used cream of wheat as a filler in 45LC. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r:

A .38 Long Colt case is only .013" shorter than a .38 spl case, but every little bit helps.

A "warthog" .38 doesn't kick much in a rifle (or pistol, for that matter), but to lessen recoil in pistol rounds, reduce the charge so that you can seat the bullet such that just enough of it clears the case to comply with the rule, "Ammunition with bullets recessed below the case mouth is disallowed." To reduce capacity even further, use a .060" wad or two under the bullet. As previously mentioned, you might not meet the smoke standard though.

I have been using walnut shell cleaning media with good results. A good way to use up some old dirty media.

McKenzie

Old tumbling media has a VERY good chance of having lots of sand particles in it. Would not want that rattling down the barrel at 700-800 FPS.

Clean media, perhaps, but not used.

Good luck, GJ

AW cmon Joe, how often do we find a bp filler that cleans and polishes the barl after ever shot?

Errr, ummmm, OK, I'd encourage ALL the competition to use old media. ^_^

GJ

Old tumbling media has a VERY good chance of having lots of sand particles in it. Would not want that rattling down the barrel at 700-800 FPS.

Clean media, perhaps, but not used.

Good luck, GJ

Unless sand is already in the new media one can eliminate the sand particle worry by cleaning their brass first,.... most BP shooters dump their brass in a soapy/water solution at the match, clean with water at home, then dry, and then they put them in the tumbler,

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Point well made, GG. I too wash BP brass before tumbling. BUT, lots of our pards tumble their own BP brass and their (or their shooting partner's) smokeless brass all in the same tumbling media. Voila, dirt and sand gets in the media. In fact, that is what I do.

Good luck, GJ.

I use cous cous, can get it here in 3 grain sizes, medium is the one for me.

It has less (to no) dust then other stuff so my Lee pro autodisk and others keep running.

Picture of my setup

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/R516nSKk8uFRFoQ57GwR7o9f9s4b66rF3VhbJ_zW8KE?feat=directlink

Heee Haaa.. Well I use:Enriched White Hominy Quick Grits.. The Original Grits..(microwaveable)I use ta buy a 1lb 8oz can for a dollor..Now its a$1.25.. :) Sometimes I put alittle cinamin in the grits ..the smell makes the compition hungry.. :lol:

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo( Who shoots Pale-Rider loads in His Avatar) :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Point well made, GG. I too wash BP brass before tumbling. BUT, lots of our pards tumble their own BP brass and their (or their shooting partner's) smokeless brass all in the same tumbling media. Voila, dirt and sand gets in the media. In fact, that is what I do.

Good luck, GJ.

Yeah, I can only speak of myself - I don't have any freinds that let me touch their brass :lol: ...:unsure: ...:P

I previously used malt-o-meal but found that it was leaving too much gunk in the barrel.

Switched to Quaker instant grits and have not looked back since.

This was in my 45 Colt cases.

Your mileage may vary. You should always consult a physician before beginning an exercise program, especially if you have any preexisting medical conditions.

Some clinical trial participants experienced prolonged elevation of the zygomaticus muscle during and after shooting bullets loaded with black powder. Patients experiencing these symptoms for more than four hours should continue to load and shoot black powder rounds as fast and often as they can as it is a symptom of having a good time.

I too, use this Black Dawge finely ground corncob filler with my Cowboy Goex loads in pistol/rifle. Good stuff.

Filler in a .38? Billy, say it ain't so, say it ain't so! :(

Wouldn't used tumbling media have a lot of lead dust and lead styphinate in it? I sure wouldn't want to breath it.

I guess the amount would be dictated by whether one washes their cases before tumblin' them....

Use a lighter bullet, and one that is longer based than most. Like this one, 110 grains, long base to take up more case room, lots of BP lube to help with the smoke.

http://i29.photobuck...e123/38Slim.jpg

Filler in a .38? Billy, say it ain't so, say it ain't so! :(

Yes, yes. Don't need much but seems to be a needed item for the Cowboy Goex use, along with SPG bullets....at least that is the way I was taught, and from a very knowledgeable teacher. I do like the fact that after the filler station one definetely knows if powder charge is correct because filler is showing just inside rim. You guys using 777 and APP miss out on the fun with filler to clean up off press. ha. But ya know, if I ever quit CG, bet that's what I'll load for BP shooting. I've tried the Cowboy Triple Seven and sure liked it with 125 gr bullets...accurate and plenty of smoke.

bb

I ran down to the auto parts store and bought me a roll of cork gasket material.

Take a 3/8 hole punch and go to work.

Not only a great filler but cleans the barrel as you shoot them !!!

you can even pick the little boogers up and reuse them.

And they come in every caliber...that you have a punch for!!

BH

Fillers? Really? In pistol calibers? You suppository shooters need to get yer heads outta there! I'm appalled... why it might be seen as akin to shoootin' w/o a hat!

TEE HEE HEE! Chuckle, chuckle...

You boys are makin' me hungry! :P

Think I'll cook up some grits, if y'all left any at the store for eatin'...

hawhawhaw. :lol:

Archived