SASS Wire Forum

Am I the only one that doesn’t have it? 
I'm getting a new TV soon and I will get it I guess…….

No, you're not the only one.

Sure feels like it sometimes though, don't it? Doesn't matter what you want to get, it will connect with your Wi-Fi!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

No, you're not the only one.

Sure feels like it sometimes though, don't it? Doesn't matter what you want to get, it will connect with your Wi-Fi!

I tell everyone I’m wired!:lol:

• Haha 3

I love having WiFi. 

Rye, do you use Amazon Prime? If so, with a smart TV and WiFi you can watch movies, TV series, documentaries, etc. You can also, through Prime, stream other channels with discounted monthly fees. 
You can also use your TV as a computer screen from a laptop or tablet. 
That’s just a couple of the things WiFi and a Smart TV can do for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I love having WiFi. 

Rye, do you use Amazon Prime? If so, with a smart TV and WiFi you can watch movies, TV series, documentaries, etc. You can also, through Prime, stream other channels with discounted monthly fees. 
You can also use your TV as a computer screen from a laptop or tablet. 
That’s just a couple of the things WiFi and a Smart TV can do for you. 

That’s what I hear which is why I’m gonna have to step up my game here! Thanks for the info. I’m checking in to getting a new TV  this week.

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

We have WiFi with a mesh system, because even my sewing machines need to access the internet for software and firmware updates.........

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s what I hear which is why I’m gonna have to step up my game here! Thanks for the info. I’m checking in to getting a new TV  this week.

My wife and I bought a 56” Samsung smart tv 4K and lots of features on Sale at Sam’s Club for around $400. 
We had a Vizeo sound bar from our previous set up and they work great together. 
You can use the sound bar as your stereo speaker. I use my iPhone and Apple Music to play music through the sound bar. It sounds excellent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

My wife and I bought a 56” Samsung smart tv 4K and lots of features on Sale at Sam’s Club for around $400. 
We had a Vizeo sound bar from our previous set up and they work great together. 
You can use the sound bar as your stereo speaker. I use my iPhone and Apple Music to play music through the sound bar. It sounds excellent. 

Recent iPhones can "mirror" on your smart TV.  Anything you are seeing on your phone is shown on tv.  Nice for showing everyone some photos or videos at the same time.

Edited by J-BAR #18287
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Recent iPhones can "mirror" on your smart TV.  Anything you are seeing on your phone is shown on tv.  Nice for showing everyone some photos or videos at the same time.

Thanks. I forgot about that. 

• Like 1

dont know about the rest of the world - we have it here , dont really think much about it unless its down , 

• Like 1

I’m going to a small TV store today. They’ve been there forever. They specialize in setting up your new TV. You pay a little more than a big box store but the service is priceless! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These days the only wiring you need is to plug the TV in to the outlet.  Everything else is done with the remote control following prompts on the TV screen.  Sound bars are really nice bacause the flat screen TVs don't have room for a decent speaker.  That's going to take another wire or two.  Our TV has built in Roku.  I highly recommend getting this feature for the preinstalled programming.  Lots of it is free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I've thought about getting a smart T.V., but I worry, and I don't know enough to know whether it's a real concern or not, that the smart T.V. I get will sooner or later be unusable like an older computer is.

It is a mild concern.  Mostly because you are at the mercy of the manufacturer for updates. While there are viruses out there, the biggest danger comes from the owner installing a malicious app.

Best thing you can do is use the smart tv for streaming movies. Do your email, banking, and shopping on a real PC or tablet that gets regular software updates.

BTW; DO NOT use the same password for all your logins.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Otto got you again! It is spelled "weird". :P

weirdly wired

TM

19 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Finally giving up the black and white tv? LOL

TM

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I've thought about getting a smart T.V., but I worry, and I don't know enough to know whether it's a real concern or not, that the smart T.V. I get will sooner or later be unusable like an older computer is.

Don't worry too much about it.

One perk of the electronics revolution is pricing - TV's that were thousands of dollars just a few years back are cheap now.

My local Wal-Mart has 50+ inch TV's for $200; if a smart TV were to become unusable after a few years - a replacement is relatively easy to come by.

For way too many - tomorrow never comes.

Don't deny yourself today because something "might" happen tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Don't worry too much about it.

One perk of the electronics revolution is pricing - TV's that were thousands of dollars just a few years back are cheap now.

My local Wal-Mart has 50+ inch TV's for $200; if a smart TV were to become unusable after a few years - a replacement is relatively easy to come by.

For way too many - tomorrow never comes.

Don't deny yourself today because something "might" happen tomorrow.

I appreciate the input, and the thought. I don't really think I need one, it looks like the main advantages are the built it apps like Netflix, Paramount, etc, which I already have access through my cable company. They cost extra anyway, and I'm already paying for the ones that I watch. The other is the bluetooth connections that I wouldn't be using either. I don't think my flip phone has anything to show me.

12 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Should I replace my icebox?

Not until it can't keep beer cold.

TM

17 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Should I replace my icebox?

No as long as the ice man still comes around!! 

• Haha 1

Majority of the first floor and basement have WiFi light switches.  When I’m gone and the wife hears a “bump in the night” that scares her all she has to say is “Alexa all lights on”.

When we travel I can tell what the humidity is in the safe and if is being tampered with, turn up the thermostat on our way home.  And a few security measures.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2024 at 2:36 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

The other is the bluetooth connections that I wouldn't be using either. I don't think my flip phone has anything to show me.

Bluetooth feature is so that you can use wireless headphones.  Quality headsets are not that expensive and if you have hearing issues allows you to crank the volume with the neighbors complaining.

39 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Bluetooth feature is so that you can use wireless headphones.  Quality headsets are not that expensive and if you have hearing issues allows you to crank the volume with the neighbors complaining.

Oh don't get me wrong, I have my phone connected to bluetooth in my Jeep, and a "trucker's headset" for if I'm driving any other vehicle. I LOVE that thing. I just can't see my appliances having anything to say.

WiFi = PITA

This coming June, I have 50 years in the computer business.
A wired CAT5 network beats the snot out of WiFi for reliability and performance.

If you are streaming TV over WiFi, you want line-of-sight between the WiFi router and the TV set.
For example, if you use an Amazon Firestick, get a short HDMI extension cable to mount the Stick in true line-of-sight to the router.
The Apple phone has a built-in WiFi signal meter which is very responsive.  Use this to determine location and antenna orientation.

Comcast sent me a free mesh repeater that automagically connects to their WiFi modem in the other room.
This gives my wife stronger internet signal for her iPad during her morning coffee-in-bed ritual.

We bought a new Hisense U8H set to replace our 12 year old Samsung which is now in my wife's office.
The new TV has the Netflix client built in, so I run it on a CAT5 wired network directly attached to the LAN side of the router.
We stream 4k UHD so bandwidth is necessary, and we get plenty of it from CAT5.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 1:12 AM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Our "new" smart TV is ten years old.  A couple of weeks ago went to watch something on Netflix and it announced, "Netflix will no longer be available on this device after May 2, 2024."  And provided a URL for a list of compatible devices.

17 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

Our "new" smart TV is ten years old.  A couple of weeks ago went to watch something on Netflix and it announced, "Netflix will no longer be available on this device after May 2, 2024."  And provided a URL for a list of compatible devices.

Pretty much what I was concerned about.