SASS Wire Forum

Henry's SASS Rifle

Cholla

10 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Has Henry modified this rifle from the prior design to make it more suitable for SASS competitions?

My guess the only thing better about this rifle for SASS is that SASS is getting a cut of the sales.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Even though I am not crazy about the caliber, or the gun, this is a very interesting thing.   It might make for a nice addition to the collection.

Of course, if I DID get this, I'd have to get a .22, one of their things in .45-70 and their Mare's Leg to complete the collection...

I'll have to think about this...

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Posted (edited)

I can say honestly most people who cut down the HRA product for Cowboy Action Shooting , Has likely never tried it themselves. 

There are way better options out there that is more suited for our game.

But will it work ?

Hell yes it will work .

Just Not Fast .

I shoot a 92 most of the time .

But I own three 73's two 1860 Henry's Two Marlins Two 92's & One 66, One 94 44 Magnum & One Henry Big Boy 44 Magnum. 

I took my Brand New HRA Big Boy 44 Magnum New out of the box to a local shoot just to see for myself .

And if found if you run it hard and deliberate with moderate speed & Completely Full Stroke's every time .

It will run .

I run a clean match the only time I ever took my Henry Big Boy to a Cowboy Shoot .

Most everything is a better option .

But other then shooting in Cowboy Action .

HRA has a great following.

Is a Great American Made Gun Company. 

Second to None for Warranty Work .

Supporters of America and the shooting community and kids programs .

Support them.

And try to help them build a better product suited for our game !

So Saith The Rooster 

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
language
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

But will it work ?

Hell yes it will work .

Just Not Fast .

8 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I took my Brand New HRA Big Boy 44 Magnum New out of the box to a local shoot just to see for myself .

And if found if you run it hard and deliberate with moderate speed & Completely Full Stroke's every time .

It will run .

With that sterling recommendation why would anyone want to rely on one for SASS which is a timed, speed event?

• Like 6

I will say that once, when my own gun had a problem, someone had one of these and loaned it to me.   It worked just fine for me with no problems.  Now, I am no where near a "fast" shooter, but the gun worked just fine for me.

But I will also say that, as a left handed shooter, I did not like the hot gasses hitting my right wrist all the time.   That more than anything is why I am not interested in the gun.   It seems to be a well made, functional design.   It's just not "right" for me personally.

I'll also say, the one time I used a Marlin for similar reasons, it did not have this problem.

14 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

With that sterling recommendation why would anyone want to rely on one for SASS which is a timed, speed event?

Because even within SASS there is a component of non competitors that believe that "just being there" is an accomplishment.

That the focus within our timed, speed event should be on things OTHER than time and speed.

That a list of admirable positives; American made, warranty response and support for kids is somehow sufficient justification for recommending a tool unsuitable for purpose.

I plan to be on the clock for 15 to 25 seconds; within that time span - I don't care about anything beyond having the BEST possible tool I can afford for the task I am attempting.

If and when Henry decides to build a product that is appropriate (competitive) for our timed, speed event; I WILL gladly consider their products (because of the made in the USA, warranty, community support, etc.).

But the product has to be right first -  if the product is unsuitable; then the other items don't mean a thing to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

It will run .

I feel less people should talk shit about them .

Support them.

And try to help them build a better product suited for our game !

So Saith The Rooster 

I took my brand new 4cyl Hyundai SUV to the local drag strip just to see for myself.

And I found that if you stomp it to the floor - the engine will rev, the transmission will shift and it will roll under its own power from the staging tree all the way to the finish line.

It will run.

Of course - you will lose this race to the finish line to every EV, every V8, every V6, every motorcycle and some determined bicyclists.

But why does that matter? 

When buying a drag racing vehicle - you also have to consider that they are pretty, get good gas mileage and Hyundai of Henderson once sponsored the jerseys for a little league baseball team.

I feel less people should speak ill of them.

Yes, remaining quiet and "pretending" something is suitable and appropriate for a task is always the best way.

Support them.

I'm sure everyone here would love to hear the stories of all the money you spend at restaurants and stores that provide nothing of interest to you.  How you send donations to political candidates that don't support your desires.

And try to help them build a better vehicle more suited for our game!

So saith...

The game of drag racing has been around longer than Hyundai has existed.  If they were interested in building a vehicle suitable - they have had time.

So...

As the game of Cowboy Action has been around longer than Henry Repeating Arms has existed.  If they were interested in providing a suitable product - they have had plenty of time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Because even within SASS there is a component of non competitors that believe that "just being there" is an accomplishment.

I have been shooting SASS since 1995 (I did not join until January of 2000) and have traveled extensively all over the country shooting SASS matches.  Not once have I ever heard "I am just here to shoot slowly and hope my guns jam on the line as that is part of the fun of being here."  That is rubbish.  We have more and more local shooters going well past 80 and none of them show up to lose.  They show up to do the best they can do.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

As the game of Cowboy Action has been around longer than Henry Repeating Arms has existed.  If they were interested in providing a suitable product - they have had plenty of time.

Precisely.  So when people ask for recommendations for a SASS rifle recommending a Henry is bad advice.  If someone asked about a good lever action hunting rifle Henry would be a solid recommendation.  However firing one shot at a deer and ten shots at steel plates are different things.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have been shooting SASS since 1995 (I did not join until January of 2000) and have traveled extensively all over the country shooting SASS matches.  Not once have I ever heard "I am just here to shoot slowly and hope my guns jam on the line as that is part of the fun of being here."  That is rubbish.

Larsen, you and I have shot with a lot of the same people and while I agree that no one wants a slow, jamming firearm - there are MANY that view the focus on speed as a negative.

Many that advocate for "wider swings" between targets to negate short strokes.

Many that advocate for smaller and more distant targets to require slower, more deliberate shooting.

And many that liken efforts to slick, tune and speed our equipment to being unethical, gamey or cheating.

These are the folks that will say that "if" the game was set to their standard; that a long deliberate lever stroke would not be an issue.

These are the same folks that are incapable or unwilling to push past their self imposed ability limit and would love to impose the same limitations upon others.

While you and I may not understand this mentality; It is not rubbish - you have shot with many of these folks that freely express their feelings in this way - just not with the exact qoute you reference.

27 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Larsen, you and I have shot with a lot of the same people and while I agree that no one wants a slow, jamming firearm - there are MANY that view the focus on speed as a negative.

Many that advocate for smaller and more distant targets to require slower, more deliberate shooting.

And many that liken efforts to slick, tune and speed our equipment to being unethical, gamey or cheating.

These are the folks that will say that "if" the game was set to their standard; that a long deliberate lever stroke would not be an issue.

These are the same folks that are incapable or unwilling to push past their self imposed ability limit and would love to impose the same limitations upon others.

While you and I may not understand this mentality; It is not rubbish - you have shot with many of these folks that freely express their feelings in this way - just not with the exact qoute you reference.

I have certainly seen this. Some of the people I shoot locally with have openly said the targets should be further out there (and we already put ours out at about 7yrds pistol, 15-20yds rifle). I think they appreciate a smooth slick rifle but do seem to find the short strokes and such as almost a violation of the spirit of the game per se.

Ironically last month we had the last Stage on the rifle range and put the Targets at SASS maximum (10yrds pistol, 50yds rifle I believe) and there were a surprising amount of misses particularly on rifle. At 50yrds sites were blending in with targets and targets were blending in with berms. I should ask the MD what the overall opinion was of that stage but the tiny bit I heard wasn't real positive, though that day the wind was miserably cold and I think everyone was just glad to be done and ready to get out of the wind. 

Its a good looking rifle, I have my CAS go to rifles that I am quite happy with.  Might consider it, but Henry will have a difficult time breaking into the 1873 /  Marlin crowd.  Question is, do I need another pretty toy, but then at this stage of the game most of us do not need, it is all about want.

• Like 1

Are there things "better" for our game than the Henry Big Boy?

Absolutely.

Are they at least usable?  Yes.  Are they well made, they seem to be.  Do they have limitations, yeah, it seems that they do.

But when all is said and done, if you wanna use one, use one.  If you don't, don't.   I'll speak as someone who will never shoot fast, but who respects greatly those who do.  Most of my guns, especially my vintage ones, are pretty much as they left the factories in New Haven, Hartford, or wherever.   Some of my modern replicas have had some minimal modification to make them more workable, but only what is needed.  For example, when my Armi San Marco 92 had an action that too horrible to use, my instructions to the gunsmith were, "I don't want a race gun.  I just want it to work like a real Winchester."  And that's what I got and I've always been happy with it.  I like shooting guns "as close as possible" to they way they were back in the day.  But, I have nothing against those who do as much as possible within the existing rules to make their guns "better."  It's all part of the game.  I know I'l never win, but I will always have fun.  And that's the most important thing.

Now, with regard to the Henry Big Boy, I personally am not a fan of the rifle, for the reasons stated above in my previous post.  But you know, even though the gun may not be ideal for our game, I think it's rather nifty that they've come out with one commemorate our sport.  I doubt we'll ever see a whole bunch of them on the line, but I think it's rather cool that it exists.   

I just might get one for myself, just cuz they were nice enough to create it in the first place.  

With regard to the often stated criticism in how their marketing tries to imply a connection to the original Henry company, yeah, that's not cool.  But after a lot of years pondering it, I don't think it's worth getting worked up over.  We all know the truth, and they are not fooling anyone.   I think it's far more impressive that someone has made a SASS branded gun.   Nobody else does.  At least Henry is trying to reach out to us.  No reason to bite them.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

There are also shooters that if they can not break the shot the instant that they have cycled the action because they have to hesitate for a split second to confirm their sight picture, then they determine that this is a "bullseye" match. The targets are too far,too small, too widely spaced, at uneven heights or a combination of those things. And this isn't talking about 50 yard rifle targets either.

That the rifle is not well suited to this game, and we all know it isn’t, is not the issue for me. The issue for me is that SASS would endorse such a product to unsuspecting new shooters.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I took my brand new 4cyl Hyundai SUV to the local drag strip just to see for myself.

And I found that if you stomp it to the floor - the engine will rev, the transmission will shift and it will roll under its own power from the staging tree all the way to the finish line.

It will run.

Of course - you will lose this race to the finish line to every EV, every V8, every V6, every motorcycle and some determined bicyclists.

But why does that matter? 

When buying a drag racing vehicle - you also have to consider that they are pretty, get good gas mileage and Hyundai of Henderson once sponsored the jerseys for a little league baseball team.

I feel less people should speak ill of them.

Yes, remaining quiet and "pretending" something is suitable and appropriate for a task is always the best way.

Support them.

I'm sure everyone here would love to hear the stories of all the money you spend at restaurants and stores that provide nothing of interest to you.  How you send donations to political candidates that don't support your desires.

And try to help them build a better vehicle more suited for our game!

So saith...

The game of drag racing has been around longer than Hyundai has existed.  If they were interested in building a vehicle suitable - they have had time.

So...

Not everyone is here for speed .

Not everyone cares about being in the top 10 or even top 20 .

Shoot anything your heart desires to shoot and play your own game how you see fit .

Rooster 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Some years ago, on this end of the country, a club tried something different at their annual.   Target's spaced as far apart as possible and as far back as possible given the constraints of the berms.  There was not one target double-tap or triple-tap in the match.

Went over like a turd in the punch bowl.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Not everyone is here for speed .

Not everyone cares about being in the top 10 or even top 20 .

Shoot anything your heart desires to shoot and play your own game how you see fit .

Rooster 

I could not care any less about anyone elses reason for playing the game.

Speed, accuracy, honoring history, playing dressup or being a social buterfly.

Makes exactly zero difference to me.

Those are SUBJECTIVE, PERSONAL choices - there is no right or wrong reason for anyones decision.

BUT our game is based upon scoring that utilizes a TIMER.

OBJECTIVELY - use of equipment that allows for the lowest time elapsed is the better choice.

Promoting OBJECTIVELY sub standard equipment for use within a timed game without FULLY explaining why "lesser" equipment might be chosen is a dis-service.

Just like my Hyundai at a drag strip analogy - Yes, you can use it to drive down a quarter mile of track; but it is not a racecar.

Conflating somethings ABILITY to perform a task with its SUITABILITY to the task is silliness at an extreme.

You CAN wear Glad trash bags as evening attire - I prefer a tailored suit.

You CAN have heart surgery performed in a dark alley with a Buck knife and Mad Dog for anesthesia - I'd choose a hospital.

You CAN drag race a Hyundai...

You CAN use a Henry Big Boy for CAS...

I wouldn't.

• Like 2

Okay, back to this specific rifle, it would work well for hunting and casual plinking. It looks great and can have your SASS number on it. It's from a US company that strongly supports the 2nd Amendment and will be a lot of fun just annoying Liberals! If I can sell a couple guns here in Alabama, I might just order one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If I can’t run 10 rounds through it in under 3 seconds without a hitch it’s not suitable for a SASS match, at least not for me.

As Creeker said my wife’s Telluride could ‘work’ on the track, but I would use my Camaro 1LE since it was designed for the track and would be more competitive.

Edited by Captain Bill Burt
  • Like 1

Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see this as being advertised as a competition gun.   It’s an opportunity to have a SASS tribute Henry rifle with your sass number on it.  I view it just like the Masonic edition Henry rifle my wife bought me.  It’s a beautiful rifle that would look great on the wall showing support for the sport I love.   I’m sure I’ve spent money on worst things! 

• Like 2

if one of these works for someone im happy for them , i like the look , aside from the engraving that i see as pure embellishment that is unnecessary , but the function is my concern until proven , but ill keep an open mind and look for positive posts by those that buy them ,  

I'd keep my trap shut.  But, I'm likely to break a molar from all the tension.  I'm slow as molasses, don't intend to get any faster,  but still love a well functioning, slick firearm...  I like to think that even a top shooter would be happy to use my firearms... they should work that well.  Henry advertised these things as SASS legal, before they were... (some would give them the benefit of doubt as simply not knowing any better).  Anyone who recommends one as suitable for cowboy action better be hoping for a window in their belly.  It's really a tough call as to which is less suitable, a Henry Big boy or a Winchester 94.  And I really love a Winchester 94 (I better, I own a mess of 'em)!  Frankly, my 1860 is a better rifle for CAS, and we all know it has a built-in hitch in its "get-a-long".  

• Like 1

I'm amazed at some of the attitudes of some of the SASS "cowboys" that are posting on this topic. They have expressed the attitude that because a fellow Cowboy is slow that they automatically dislike faster shooters using slicked up short stroke well tuned guns. Bullcrap! That's insulting and demeaning. I shoot first to entertain and challenge Myself. I don't care that other folks are faster or want targets to be closer. I have shot some of the closest matches available in our game. I also have shot some that were more entertaining. For me it is about the Cowboys that put on the match and what their attitude or goal is. There are places I have shot in the past that I don't shoot anymore because of attitude and there are a couple I have gone back to because there were changes made. I have shot with some of the fastest shooters in our game. Some of them I would shoot with every day, others I don't care if I ever shoot with them again.

kR

• Like 6

I should stay away from this but like Griff, it’s hard not to respond. Do slower shooters ‘automatically’ dislike faster shooters and slicked up guns? Not in my experience.

Is there a small but dedicated contingent of ‘slower’ shooters who dislike the speed aspect of the game and sometimes resent faster shooters, and/or slicked up guns and/or big and close targets? Absolutely!

There’s plenty of room in my shooting world for fast, medium or slow as a snail shooters, as long as they leave room for me in theirs.

• Like 4

I love the company but not that rifle. I have a .22 and it’s great. That’s it for me. 
I have two 73’s for CAS and they are great!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I love the company but not that rifle. I have a .22 and it’s great. That’s it for me. 
I have two 73’s for CAS and they are great!

The .22 is great for SASS, particularly after Slater and Widder work them over. They did a great job on Kid Flash’s .22 and Widder upgraded the front sights nicely.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Is there a small but dedicated contingent of ‘slower’ shooters who dislike the speed aspect of the game and sometimes resent faster shooters, and/or slicked up guns and/or big and close targets? Absolutely!

Thank you.

There is also a small but dedicated contingent on the Wire that eschew nuance for absolutes; simply so they may create a strawman that they can then claim insulted them.

If someone wants a wall hanger souvenir with their SASS number on it - buy one.

If someone wants to participate in a competition game with non competitive equipment - feel free. (I would encourage all gunfighters to grab a Big Boy asap)

But as I have always considered myself an advocate for shooters and I have always lobbied for shooters to have access to and knowledge of their best options - I will not stand silently by and listen to erroneous claims that certain choices (assuming you "go slow" and "deliberately") are just as valid as other choices.

I reject the premise that because of subjective reasons; (USA made, warranty or community support) option A is just as suitable as option B within the context of a timed speed event.

You can eat ice cream with a fork if you want to - but telling someone that a fork is equitable to a spoon for that purpose is ignorant.

• Like 6

We sell quite a few CAS guns in our shop and I tell new shooters that yes, the Henry is legal but not the best choice for our game. They are very good hunting guns and excellent general purpose/plink/.self-protection guns. Good looking, American made good guns. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Looks good.  I don't understand the Henry-hate. We encourage new and newish shooters to shoot awhile before they spend big bucks on 'race-guns'. Most of us realize it is not the gun that keeps us from winning and then relax and shoot what we like.  When we find ourselves in the top 3rd we decide to up grade.  The cheapest rife we use is a 92. They are over $700 new now. The Henry will be a little more, but a GREAT rifle with an actual warranty. Cheaper than a new stock 73. Seems like a viable option for new shooters. If they up grade they still have a great rifle 4 back-up and other shooting. If they never get fast, like me, they have a great rifle. A little more than a 92 but a significantly better company and gun... what's bad about that?

(Also supports CASS)

Edited by Doc Moses
  • Like 1