SASS Wire Forum

Costume question (Let's beat this horse some more)

11 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I find only one possible restriction in the rules, all clothing must be "typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series." I am not qualified to say this vest does not comply with those restrictions.

I only watched the movie Blazing Saddles, never the TV series, but this costume definitely portrays the character of Mongo.

Mongo_1.jpg.9800b774340b1b9e8939b06d03815e75.jpg

Imho, the 'B-' should be omited in the rule book, only saying '(any) Western movie, or Western television series'.

I don't consider Blazing Saddles a B-Western movie, although Bart would almost qualify for B-Western category :D

blazing-saddles.jpg.62553478ba33b91de2f15104897a2a73.jpg

• Like 3

Apparently, it was ruled as a vest and therefore legal, but I've never seen a vest with a shirt type collar before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

Is the alias Joe Dirt taken?

JOE_DIRT_-_DAVID_SPACE_-MOP_2358x.jpg

It was, but I haven’t seen him in a few years. He used to shoot at Wartrace; seems like he shot outlaw.

• Like 1

i seldom - no never comment on anyone's costume , i think if your happy - im happy , long as your a safe shooter , 

ive enjoyed the steampunks ive shot with some real fun folks 

• Like 1

Been around a long time & have seen a lot of changes. 

Original picture: because he definitely had that Mongo vibe I will give him a pass. 

BUT, if we're going to have dress requirements, especially for a State-or-above match, I think you ought to make a bit of an effort.  It's part of the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, MizPete said:

Original picture: because he definitely had that Mongo vibe I will give him a pass. 

BUT, if we're going to have dress requirements, especially for a State-or-above match, I think you ought to make a bit of an effort.  It's part of the game.

Well said I agree 100%

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MizPete said:

Who gets to define what that is?

10 hours ago, MizPete said:

I've been around for a while also. It appears to me that the costume...and yes, it's a costume, is not only funny but well thought out, required considerable effort to make/acquire accoutrements for and present as a representation of Mongo from Blazing Saddles. 

One person's vision of what SASS should be and another's often collide. Pretty funny for a game that started out based upon a movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Match directors ?

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1

Shooting Bull did a lot of costuming work to fit the part, even gained some weight to fill out the costume:P. There were shooters dressed as Toy Story characters too and some that were dressed in Steam Punk garb. I believe Shooting Bull dressed as Sheriff Woody last year and I saw a couple of folks dressed that way this year. Would this costume pass for proper costuming? She’s got the hat and the boots.

IMG_1642.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Shooting Bull did a lot of costuming work to fit the part, even gained some weight to fill out the costume:P. There were shooters dressed as Toy Story characters too and some that were dressed in Steam Punk garb. I believe Shooting Bull dressed as Sheriff Woody last year and I saw a couple of folks dressed that way this year. Would this costume pass for proper costuming? She’s got the hat and the boots.

IMG_1642.jpeg

If I remember correctly, he was on my posse in 2022. Dressed like Mongo one day, dressed to the nines one day and was Woody from Toy Story one day. I'm not home yet from EOT or I would post a picture. We all had fun with it and that to me is the first rule in cowboy shooting. Have Fun!!

Edited by Sixgun Seamus
Corrected date
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Maybe the guy who used to wear the Dallas Cowboy uniform? I don’t remember his alias, but everybody seemed to think he was the bee’s knees. 

9 minutes ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

Maybe the guy who used to wear the Dallas Cowboy uniform? I don’t remember his alias, but everybody seemed to think he was the bee’s knees. 

That would be Gunzilla

Who is Gunzilla? - SASS Wire - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com)

Gunzilla (akagunzilla.com)  Scroll down to see a lot of his costumes

we all have our visions of what we want to present , if there has been made an attempt to do other than street clothes i seldom even notice/comment , not that i dont notice others great gear and attire , i do ,  im just not gonna ever be the costume nazi at any match - safety yes , not costumes , 

i really do appreciate seeing those that go all out in their attire , we all have our center of interest , ive seen some really great getups over the years and ive wished sometimes my fashion sense was better , but im more a range cowboy at heart , ill never be that city slicker with the great wardrobe , 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Is that a wrist WATCH I see.?

Mongo can tell Time? 

On 3/6/2024 at 8:16 AM, Tyrel Cody said:

It was, but I haven’t seen him in a few years. He used to shoot at Wartrace; seems like he shot outlaw.

Yes he shot Outlaw and more than one time I’ve seen him shoot a Clay bird in the air, from the hip, off a pigeon flipper target.

Randy

• Like 1

So can we all wear short sleeves now? Just sayin’…. What good are costuming rules if we don’t follow them? Maybe T-Shirts ?? 

20 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So can we all wear short sleeves now? Just sayin’…. What good are costuming rules if we don’t follow them? Maybe T-Shirts ?? 

What rules are you referring to? 

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

What rules are you referring to? 

Rules in the SASS rule book. I posted the rule in a previous comment. No short sleeves except for women.

On 3/5/2024 at 2:59 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Stuff not allowed:

- Modern shooting gloves - Short sleeve shirts (male competitors only) - Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors. (Long sleeve Henley type shirts with buttons are acceptable.) - Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys) Straw hats of traditional design are acceptable (e.g., Stetson, Baily, Sombreros, etc.) - Designer jeans are not allowed. Designer jeans include modern jeans that have slogans or logos embroidered, silk screened, and such, saying things like “PINK” or “BABY.” Jeans with fancy or flashy adornments are acceptable. - Ball caps. - All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed. - Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accoutrements. - The displaying of any manufacturer’s, sponsor’s, or team logos on apparel. (Manufacturer’s labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable

Here ya go 

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Rules in the SASS rule book. I posted the rule in a previous comment. No short sleeves except for women.

Here ya go 

That’s a vest Mongo is wearing.

Just now, Yul Lose said:

That’s a vest Mongo is wearing.

Don’t look like a vest to me! It looks like a shirt with the sleeves cut off. Call it what you like!

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Don’t look like a vest to me! It looks like a shirt with the sleeves cut off. Call it what you like!

I will.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I will.

Great and I’ll call it a short sleeved shirt!:P

Rules say "basically NO SHORT sleeve shirts for males", but females can wear whatever they want.  You can call what he is wearing a vest or a shirt, don't care, but it has NO sleeves.  So is he violating the dress code?

How about male shooters who have shot at NATL and World shoots not wearing any shirt, just bib overalls and no socks or shoes. 

Bull, I will defend you against the "clothing" you know what's.

One of the big turnoff's to SASS is the clothing "You know what's. Thanks for the new term Jake. :-)

If you want to grow this game, relax and have fun and leave people alone to have their fun. No sleeves = no violation. Bull looks great in that getup and has the frame to support it. I'm calling it a "C" Western costume. Great job Bull on creating a new category. :-)  

Back in 2005, one of the higher ups in SASS (not Wild Bunch) came up to me and my wife after shooting EOT on the second day and asked me when I was going to stop dressing like a storekeeper. I had on lace up Ropers, Wahmaker pants, leather braces, Scully shirt, a garter on each arm and my "Gus" cowboy hat. My answer to that person was, whenever you start minding your own ******* business. These clothing "You know what's" are and always have derailed new shooters from coming into the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2