SASS Wire Forum

Ahhhh....Coffee!

Just plain old Regular Maxwell House perked heart starter for me.

• Like 1

Kembata

(notes - blackberry, lime and dark chocolate) 

Kembata, Ethiopia - Durame Village

with a splash of half & half

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Folger’s Classic Roast…Ahhhhh :D

That or classic Yuban are our usual.  But now and then we treat ourselves to something a notch or two up.  This is whole bean and the dreaded Starbucks.  Why Starbucks?  Because Safeway had it on special at less than the Folgers or Yuban.  Yesterday when we went shopping Walmart Grocery had some ground Starbucks Verona on a clearance rack, $6 for an 18 oz bag, which is less per oz. than the Yuban or Folgers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That or classic Yuban are our usual.  But now and then we treat ourselves to something a notch or two up.  This is whole bean and the dreaded Starbucks.  Why Starbucks?  Because Safeway had it on special at less than the Folgers or Yuban.  Yesterday when we went shopping Walmart Grocery had some ground Starbucks Verona on a clearance rack, $6 for an 18 oz bag, which is less per oz. than the Yuban or Folgers.

Joe, sorry pard. 2 demerits for drinking Yuban. :lol:

• Haha 3

Why? Is it nasty coffee? Or is Yuban one of them businesses that we should not support, like Levi?

It being nasty coffee would of course be your opinion. I happen to like the flavor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Why? Is it nasty coffee? Or is Yuban one of them businesses that we should not support, like Levi?

It being nasty coffee would of course be your opinion. I happen to like the flavor.

I can't tell much difference between equivalent roasts of the two and so buy whichever is less expensive at the time.   

Walmart used to sell a house brand "Dark roast, 100% Arabica" that we thought was very good, better than Folgers or Yuban.  And about 2/3 the price. Haven't seen it in years.

Two brands I won't buy are Maxwell House and Dunkin Donuts.   I've tried both a couple of times and always ended up throwing them out after making a couple of pots.   

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That's what mom and dad used.....You sayin' Momma was wrong!  ARE YA?!?!?!  :lol:

Your mother was a saint, I’m sure. I would never say your mom was wrong. I’m sure it was your dad that liked crummy coffee. ;)

37 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Lunch trucks serve Yuban when MJB isn’t available. It tastes like grill grease. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

Your mother was a saint, I’m sure. I would never say your mom was wrong. I’m sure it was your dad that liked crummy coffee. ;)

:lol:

Probably from being a Marine on the USS Brooklyn (CL40)

• Like 3

Before my first coffee, I hate everyone!*

After that first coffee, I don’t feel guilty about it!!

*(I haven’t had so much as a sip of coffee for almost 55 years!!) :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Before my first coffee, I hate everyone!*

After that first coffee, I don’t feel guilty about it!!

*(I haven’t had so much as a sip of coffee for almost 55 years!!) :lol:

That explains a lot. :P

• Haha 2

Nobody's mentioned Arbuckle's yet....     :rolleyes:       

image.png.0756188326e0193ce419a9c8795ba04a.png

"The Yuban brand (sometimes Yule brand) was John Arbuckle's name for his personal mix of fresh coffees for Christmas gifts.  In 1935, Arbuckle Brothers Company, the first merchant to sell packaged coffee, was merged with Maxwell House*."       

image.png.29bb727d2a57c4c99ffde225fd1f2ed2.png     *Good To the Last Drop       

'Tain't nuthin' wrong with Yuban.   ;)

When asked how I like my coffee, I have long responded with "Strong enough to float a horseshoe, hot enough to make it wilt, and if there are still a few crumbs of road apple clinging to that there horseshoe, well... it'll just add to the flavor."  ^_^  

image.png.1cfc7ef0404b948bbede78d1312f66fd.png

Edited by Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967
  • Like 2

Once, while taking a particularly vile sex offender back to prison, he kept running his mouth. My Boss told him "You probably shouldn't push your luck. The only reason you're still sucking air, is Collier [your's truly] had decaf...".

• Haha 3

my wife likes her amaretto coffee , i like my BRCC silencer smooth , im always up for a good cup , the best i ever had was at an event - served after dinner , i couldnt get them to tell me what it was or how they made it , one day ill figure it out - or die tryin , 

• Like 1

no , NO sanka 

i grind my own beans and make mine fresh as i can every day i drink it , otherwise im not drinking it , just sayin 

Edited by watab kid

In the eastern states...I don't know what they use for coffee....or if it's their water...but I can see why people try to hide the flavor with sugar and cream...undrinkable bitter crap...

I like Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee and will grind the beans.

Of course when it is winter I can just step outside into the 30 degree weather and 10-15 mph winds and I'm awake instantly, without needing coffee

• Like 1

Farmer Brothers.  Usually found in restaurants.  I followed one of their truck all over to find out where to get it.  One word answer: Amazon.

Also Community Signature Blend.  Just a touch of chicory, but if they hadn't told me I'd never have noticed.

• Like 1

My daughter went to Ethiopia as a missionary. When she returned she brought me some coffee. Apparently coffee is THE THING in Ethiopia.

Tasted like it had black pepper in it. Spicy. Had a bite.

I didn't like it. I like my coffee to taste like coffee. Somebody up the thread talked about a coffee that had "notes of chocolate and lime" - I don't want chocolate and lime in my coffee. I want coffee in my coffee. The closest I ever get to having a flavor in my coffee is once in a great while I will put some Baileys in it.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Alpo said:

My daughter went to Ethiopia as a missionary. When she returned she brought me some coffee. Apparently coffee is THE THING in Ethiopia.

Tasted like it had black pepper in it. Spicy. Had a bite.

I didn't like it. I like my coffee to taste like coffee. Somebody up the thread talked about a coffee that had "notes of chocolate and lime" - I don't want chocolate and lime in my coffee. I want coffee in my coffee. The closest I ever get to having a flavor in my coffee is once in a great while I will put some Baileys in it.

It's just tasters jargon.  You can probably find similar tasters notes about whatever your favorite brew is, "evocative of smoky bitter chocolate and salted caramel with a citrus finish" or some such.  All part of what makes coffee taste like coffee.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

When friends and Family travel, if they want to bring me a Nic Nac,,, I tell them to just bring me some Coffee from the area they are visiting ... 

I drink it and Share it with friends, and then it's gone... Not hanging around collecting Dust and take space, better filled with ammo...

Jabez Cowboy

• Like 2

Schoolmarm drinks coffee all the time!

Those big ol’ Folgers tubs are great for brass and components ‘n’ such!!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 4:49 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Nobody's mentioned Arbuckle's yet....     :rolleyes:       

image.png.0756188326e0193ce419a9c8795ba04a.png

"The Yuban brand (sometimes Yule brand) was John Arbuckle's name for his personal mix of fresh coffees for Christmas gifts.  In 1935, Arbuckle Brothers Company, the first merchant to sell packaged coffee, was merged with Maxwell House*."       

image.png.29bb727d2a57c4c99ffde225fd1f2ed2.png     *Good To the Last Drop       

'Tain't nuthin' wrong with Yuban.   ;)

When asked how I like my coffee, I have long responded with "Strong enough to float a horseshoe, hot enough to make it wilt, and if there are still a few crumbs of road apple clinging to that there horseshoe, well... it'll just add to the flavor."  ^_^  

image.png.1cfc7ef0404b948bbede78d1312f66fd.png

I surely do admire that man's hat.

All I know is that if someone EVER tries to serve me civet coffee you guys are gonna have to post my bail!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

All I know is that if someone EVER tries to serve me civet coffee you guys are gonna have to post my bail!

We just won't tell you....

• Thanks 1