SASS Wire Forum

How many clubs have El Rey category shooters?

Wrangler Bob

I'd be interested in knowing how many clubs have El Rey category shooters. With our older shooters still in the game, I would suppose that category would have a few shooters. [ I just "joined" the ranks of El Rey so that's why I'm asking.]

Thanks for any replys,

Wrangler Bob

Eldorado Cowboys

Boulder City, Nv.

Congratulations on achieving El Rey status.  You obviously took care of yourself to live that long.  Locally we have both an El Rey and a La Reina shooting regularly.  Since they lack competition they strive to shoot clean.  I've sold them lead shot from my personal supply to keep them reloading.  They are valued members of our club.

None of our usual monthly shooters has achieved that status as yet, but we have had 1 El Ray at each of the last two Illinois State Shoots - same gentleman.  FWIW, we've had either 5 or 6 El Patrons at each of those shoots, so there are more El Rays in the pipeline, so to speak!

Count

2 hours ago, Wrangler Bob said:

I'd be interested in knowing how many clubs have El Rey category shooters. With our older shooters still in the game, I would suppose that category would have a few shooters. [ I just "joined" the ranks of El Rey so that's why I'm asking.]

Thanks for any replys,

Wrangler Bob

Eldorado Cowboys

Boulder City, Nv.

Yo Wrangler Bob how goes it my friend? ACSA and CowTown honor El Rey along with EOT. Plus Land Run and quite a bunch of others. Border Town for another.

can't begin to compete with hells comin' or jack rabbit joe, but it's fun watching them compete. I guess my question really was, "how many of us are there?" I think maybe the "rey" guns would be in the steampunk category. but I like the idea...

Wrangler Bob

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That's when you get to call the El Patron a whippersnapper.  :)

:lol:

9 minutes ago, Wrangler Bob said:

can't begin to compete with hells comin' or jack rabbit joe, but it's fun watching them compete. I guess my question really was, "how many of us are there?" I think maybe the "rey" guns would be in the steampunk category. but I like the idea...

Wrangler Bob

:lol:

What's the minimum age for El Rey? :huh:

OK, I found it, 85+.......;)

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

- El Rey/La Reina: Age 85 and up.

SHB p.6

REF also: SHB p.10

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

85...and counting. Wrangler Ron [deceased], jack rabbit joe and I were planning on shooting together this past September. Sadly, that didn't happen; Joe had health problems, so I shot El Patron. There was one late comer to that match who shot El Rey, Deadeye Dick, from Gardnerville/Minden in Nevada, Kind of a mix up, but I wouldn't have been close to scoring like he did. I hope to meet him again in future matches. Hopefully, Jack Rabbit Joe and I will be able to meet again.

My best wishes to all of my CAS family.

The only time we would possibly have any shooters in that category would be at our state match.  Of course, we would recognize it then.  None of our current monthly shooters are even close to that category.

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

El Rey? :huh:

What be dat? :o

They were around when the originals of the firearms we use were introduced by Colt and Winchester. 

In the Phoenix area we have the "one and only" Jackrabbit Joe, who I have seen, even in nasty hot Phoenix weather, get out there and shoot like a guy much younger.  God bless you Joe and I hope they create a new category when you reach 90.

And I dearly miss an El Rey friend of mine, Wrangler Ron. 

We have one that shoots Cowboy and Wild Bunch regularly at our club. Deadwood Miner. We quit charging him to shoot 3 years ago when he was 90. He’s a hero to a lot of us and still shoots quite a few “Clean” matches.

Randy

There were a few at Land Run: Darby, Jayhawk Jerry, Happy Appy, Wyoming Double Oot, Cap'n Highpockets, Captain Allyn Capron.  I shoot with Ranger John Paxton at several clubs in Florida and Alabama and I believe he now qualifies for El Rey, he also travels to many of the larger shoots.  He's an inspiration to us all, usually shooting clean and beating many of the other shooters.

19 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

Tough class - anyone thats made it that far has to be tough!

Thanks Hells. still hanging in there.

12 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

In the Phoenix area we have the "one and only" Jackrabbit Joe, who I have seen, even in nasty hot Phoenix weather, get out there and shoot like a guy much younger.  God bless you Joe and I hope they create a new category when you reach 90.

And I dearly miss an El Rey friend of mine, Wrangler Ron. 

Yo Lone Spur thanks for the comment. And Wrangler Ron was also one of a kind & is missed.

Archived