SASS Wire Forum

Beef stew question

I decided that I will make a beef stew. Ingredients of course are beef stock, beef, potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, peas. For my stew anyway, many other vegetables are possible. But when I searched the web the most commonly recommended item is mushrooms, often sautéed. I never heard of mushrooms in a stew. There’s no reason that I can’t include them of course but I wanted to ask other’s opinions.

I do make an excellent beef stock, I’ll include the recipe in SDJ’s vittles thread later.

I dunno, I like mushrooms, so it sounds good to me!

I prefer my beef, (or any other stew for that matter) without the peas!!

The mushrooms, sautéed with the onions and celery along with some garlic, are definitely to be sought after!

You are allowed to omit anything you find objectionable.  How many recipes include onions?  My wife is allergic to onions.  She doesn't include them in any recipe calling for onions.  Her cooking is sublime.  Create and enjoy.

4 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

You are allowed to omit anything you find objectionable.  How many recipes include onions?  My wife is allergic to onions.  She doesn't include them in any recipe calling for onions.  Her cooking is sublime.  Create and enjoy.

Can she use garlic? Is she allergic to all of the onion family, like leeks and shallots?

The only receipts for stew with mushrooms, other than vegetarian ones, that i've seen before are Eastern European.  I don't see any reason not to add them, but for your standard American Beef Stew they seem an odd addition.

I left a translation question in the V&V thread for you.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The only receipts for stew with mushrooms, other than vegetarian ones, are Eastern European.  I don't see any reason not to add them, but for your standard American Beef Stew they seem an odd addition.

I left a translation question in the V&V thread for you.

Strange!  My family has always put mushrooms in beef and chicken stew.

My grandmother even used mushroom soup as a starter for her rabbit stew. She was a fourth or fifth generation hillbilly of British and American Aboriginal descent.  

She also picked her own mushrooms.  She would walk off into the woods and come back with an apron full!!

Im with Blackwater. Growing up sautéed mushrooms were always added to the stew. Ive continued that tradition and don’t eat it any other way. If i had to guess, it’s a background kinda thing. My ancestors were sort of poor. Collecting mushrooms for the stew, both stretches the meat but also added a healthy dimension and depth to the stew.

7 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Strange!  My family has always put mushrooms in beef and chicken stew.

My grandmother even used mushroom soup as a starter for her rabbit stew. She was a fourth or fifth generation hillbilly of British and American Aboriginal descent.  

She also picked her own mushrooms.  She would walk off into the woods and come back with an apron full!!

I see that I didn't finish my thought in my post, I should have said "the only receipts THAT I KNOW OF...."

OK, I can see American Aboriginals using mushrooms in stews.  

Did she use a clear mushroom soup, or a cream of soup?  I'll use a cream of mushroom soup as a base for gravy sometimes, especially for a pot pie, which I guess is a stew in a crust.  
|
I just searched "Beef Stew" and the first dozen didn't mention mushrooms.  I then searched "Beef Stew With Mushrooms" and got a couple of pages.  I guess I just wasn't searching for the right thing.

28 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Can she use garlic? Is she allergic to all of the onion family, like leeks and shallots?

No vampires around here; garlic is used in every soup and stew.  But no leeks, shallots, or chives.

Onions et al wouldn't kill her, just cause violent vomiting and diarrhea.  

More than you probably wanna know...

:ph34r:

SDJ! She’d make a cream soup, (actually, more of a roux that she thinned with her beef or chicken broth) for her stews and soups.

I would convince her to leave the peas out of her foods when she would make them for us.  She’d cook it down and then set some aside for me.  She always dumped the peas in after she was done with the cooking when she was at our house.

Speaking of allergic… one of our pardettes, Boston Lady, is allergic to celery. Anaphylactic Shock allergic. Celery is in almost everything, even when it’s not. Chicken and other stocks may look like liquids but they were often made with celery.

31 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Speaking of allergic… one of our pardettes, Boston Lady, is allergic to celery. Anaphylactic Shock allergic. Celery is in almost everything, even when it’s not. Chicken and other stocks may look like liquids but they were often made with celery.

The "uncured" meats that claim "no added nitrates" are cured with nitrates derived from celery.  Does she have to avoid those?

41 minutes ago, watab kid said:

my wife and i like mushrooms in most everything and we think they add to the flavor , some dont like the texture , each to their own , but i vote yes 

My wife is finally starting to like mushrooms, other than my portabella mushroom "steaks" that I use to make a meatless "hot ham sandwich" during fasts.

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Long as it tastes good.

Bingo!  

A slice or two of cabbage in segments, celery chunks and diced turnip is what I add to all the good stuff Marshal.

Never added mushrooms though and this part of the country is known as BIG consumers of the fungi.

Mushrooms in my spaghetti sauce for sure.

40 minutes ago, watab kid said:

we like the portabella mushrooms as well , mostly in the horsedouvers we get at a local place 

We stuff them with a bread, onion, and celery mix and bake them.  Or I slice them about 1/4" thick, fry the slices in a pan with some cooking spray, season with a little salt and pepper, then the last 30 seconds add a splash of soy sauce.  Make a sandwich with those, lettuce, tomato, mustard and mayo.

9 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

We stuff them with a bread, onion, and celery mix and bake them.  Or I slice them about 1/4" thick, fry the slices in a pan with some cooking spray, season with a little salt and pepper, then the last 30 seconds add a splash of soy sauce.  Make a sandwich with those, lettuce, tomato, mustard and mayo.

sounds great , now im hungry again , 

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Me too.

Okay, it's on. Road trip to the Marshall's place for chili!

I saute mushrooms with garlic and add them to my stew.

17 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The "uncured" meats that claim "no added nitrates" are cured with nitrates derived from celery.  Does she have to avoid those?

I think yes. It is a dangerous world.

By the way, celery is the one food that uses more calories to consume than it yields as nutrients.

Archived