SASS Wire Forum

Shooting in Maine

Rye Miles #13621

In June he was in treatment for psychological problems, namely for making threats of shooting up a military base. How do I know this? Because, once again, the media just has to make a "star" out of this a**hole. by publishing anything they can find out about him.

I firmly believe that if the media stopped broadcasting the killers info, this kind of stuff would greatly diminish. Erase all evidence that the killer ever lived, sell everything they own or possess and give the proceeds to the victims/families. The entire "I have to be famous anyway I can" is a plague upon society that continues to grow and get worse with each day.

Ohhh, this scumbag needs to be captured alive.  Then locked away forever with no press, book offers, or movie rights ever.

Stripped of everything and thrown into a dark pit like yesterday's trash.

20 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

In June he was in treatment for psychological problems, namely for making threats of shooting up a military base.

In theory this means his guns would have been seized and he would have been flagged as not allowed to buy a gun on NICS.

Yet again the warning signs were there.  Did law enforcement take the steps I listed above or did someone kick the bucket down the road?

53 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

In June he was in treatment for psychological problems, namely for making threats of shooting up a military base. How do I know this? Because, once again, the media just has to make a "star" out of this a**hole. by publishing anything they can find out about him.

I firmly believe that if the media stopped broadcasting the killers info, this kind of stuff would greatly diminish. Erase all evidence that the killer ever lived, sell everything they own or possess and give the proceeds to the victims/families. The entire "I have to be famous anyway I can" is a plague upon society that continues to grow and get worse with each day.

It's their job to report the news! I'm glad they tell us about this kinda stuff especially if you live where this guy is roaming around. 

21 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's their job to report the news! I'm glad they tell us about this kinda stuff especially if you live where this guy is roaming around. 

It's not the reporting of the evil act I would like to see gone, it's the name/details of the shooter I want to see gone...forever. Once these losers figure out that they won't become famous (in their own sick, twisted way), this kind of crap will become less prevalent in our society. Nothing else works, it's worth a try.

Edit - It's not of the evil act I would like to see gone changed to It's not the reporting of the evil act...

11 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

It's not the evil act I would like to see gone, it's the name/details of the shooter I want to see gone...forever. Once these losers figure out that they won't become famous (in their own sick, twisted way), this kind of crap will become less prevalent in our society. Nothing else works, it's worth a try.

It helps to know his name and history as he's still on the run! Any info could help them catch this lunatic!

Like Rye Miles, I want to be informed of these events and individuals with these problems.We’re the ones (through our level of involvement with electing representatives starting at the local levels and up). Maybe putting more pressure on them will send them  running. Taking action against those that have knowledge of a bad situation and do nothing would be a place to start. I’m no genius, but if I knew my neighbor was a drunk/drug addict (hard to miss) and had troubled kids I would try to find a way to interact. The prevailing attitude seems to be, ain’t effecting me so I am out, got my own crap to worry about. Don’t bother me and I won’t bother you sort of thing. Situational awareness is about knowing what’s going on around you, if you ain’t paying attention its a guarantee you will be caught off guard. Thats our current state of affairs in the USA. 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I agree with you on that point.  That and related information is needed. 

What I don't agree with is the media and entertainment fields sensationalism of these attrocities.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It helps to know his name and history as he's still on the run! Any info could help them catch this lunatic!

A big agreement with that, but after he/she is captured or (preferably) dead...let publicity of their existence end there and then.

In preparation for the next anti-gun pronouncement from Biden, I asked every single gun in my safe if they had been out on unsupervised jaunts.
All of them assured me they don't go anywhere without me.
None of them knew if any of their other inanimate objects went on a rampage in Maine, but they were certain they did not.

It musta been a nutbag doing those murders, and not the inanimate object.

Mine all identify as what they are and have their chastity belt on...  and I have the key.

Very anti-Woke

Did the perp go diving and get his gun from one of those boating accidents I keep hearing about?

Once again the signs were there that this perp was, allegedly, by his own admission, having mental problems, including hearing voices in his head! Yet, he was released from treatment after two weeks in a treatment facility. Yet, it appears that no effort was made to notify law enforcement, so that they could interview his to see if he had any guns, and, if so, to take them and associated items (ammo, etc.).  I don't know if Maine has "red flag" laws, but they ought to. Not that that would guarranty anything, the way such laws are utilized where they exist!  The problem is NOT "gun control", but the fact that our mental health situation is practically non-existent in this country!

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Once again the signs were there that this perp was, allegedly, by his own admission, having mental problems, including hearing voices in his head! Yet, he was released from treatment after two weeks in a treatment facility. Yet, it appears that no effort was made to notify law enforcement, so that they could interview his to see if he had any guns, and, if so, to take them and associated items (ammo, etc.).  I don't know if Maine has "red flag" laws, but they ought to. Not that that would guarranty anything, the way such laws are utilized where they exist!  The problem is NOT "gun control", but the fact that our mental health situation is practically non-existent in this country!

Maine has “Yellow Flag Laws” first I’ve heard of it.

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/10/26/what-is-maines-yellow-flag-law-and-how-does-it-work-n76544

Amazing how the numbers change! NBC new here just said 18 dead and 13 injured. OP post says 22 dead and 30 injured. So which is it? And now they will make him TV hero. Poor Bobby, while they ignored the signs and the mental health treatment he needed.

I wish I had the answers.   Obviously, passing new laws isn't going to help.  It's already against the law to murder people. 

And how did the media find out this guy was in a mental health facility for two weeks back during the Summer?  I thought that information was confidential under HIPPA laws.

I pray for the safety of the officers hunting this animal down.  

This is interesting:

https://apnews.com/article/maine-shooting-what-we-know-40e373f7f2f0e0fb012ad4b26f4b78cd

LEWISTON, Maine (AP) — Authorities say a U.S. Army reservist fatally shot 18 people at a bowling alley and restaurant in Lewiston, Maine, on Wednesday night. A massive search for 40-year-old Robert Card of Bowdoin was underway. The shooting in the state’s second-largest city is the 36th mass killing in the United States this year, according to a database maintained by The Associated Press and USA Today in partnership with Northeastern University. The database includes every mass killing since 2006 from all weapons in which four or more people, excluding the offender, were killed within a 24-hour time frame.

===================

Well now, the press finally coming close to telling the truth.  Most claims I've seen about mass shootings are usually that the number is above 500.

10 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

...Most claims I've seen about mass shootings are usually that the number is above 500.

Mass shootings do not have enough dead people to qualify as a mass killing; there are more shootings. But I am surprised the wire service did not go with the bigger number.

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What does this woman think she’s accomplishing? Scroll down to the image of the woman holding a home-made sign “showing her support”. 

https://apnews.com/live/lewiston-maine-shooting-live-updates

She got her face in the news.

All the articles use incorrect language, "gun rights," "loose gun laws," "gun lobby."

There is no such thing as "gun rights." Constitutionally protected civil rights is what they mean.

"Loose gun laws" means respect for civil rights.

"Gun lobby" is civil rights advocacy.

So the news channels are reporting that the area the scumbag lived in is under “shelter in place”. What happens if people need to go to work, buy food or go to the doctor ? Is this mandatory , will they stop you? Arrest you? I can’t find answers just this:

https://whdh.com/news/residents-shelter-in-place-in-multiple-maine-communities-while-law-enforcement-works-to-locate-shooting-suspect/

14 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

And how did the media find out this guy was in a mental health facility for two weeks back during the Summer?  I thought that information was confidential under HIPPA laws.

Probably from the police.  HIPPA law doesn't apply when when a crime or potential crime is involved and police can get a warrant for medical records.

A medical professional is required to notify law enforcement if they feel  a person is a danger to themselves or others.

The short version is, if you commit a violent crime like this law enforcement is going to have all of your medical records, all of your social media, all of the websites you have read and/or posted on, access to your telephone records,  the GPS location of your cell phone and maybe even the GPS location of your car.

19 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

On 10/26/2023 at 8:51 AM, Chantry said:

In theory this means his guns would have been seized and he would have been flagged as not allowed to buy a gun on NICS.

Yet again the warning signs were there.  Did law enforcement take the steps I listed above or did someone kick the bucket down the road?

Almost as if someone was hoping for a tragic outcome.

I'll put my tinfoil hat back on now.

You can expect some tragic outcomes to have a cause assigned quickly and inaccurately.   Never let a crisis go to waste.

For example we might say that the mass shooting in the Ukraine was caused by tanks or the recent one in Israel by Ultralight aircraft.

Benghazi 2012, remind me again the cause of that one?

If I run for President on a platform to outlaw hatred do you think I have a chance?

Archived