SASS Wire Forum

To those who hate Canadian bacon pineapple pizza

sassnetguy50

That’s a sacrilege in an Italian family! Could be dangerous too if Uncle Louie is around !:o

:rolleyes: :wacko:

If I want pizza, I want pizza!  Ham and pineapple?  I’ll find a luau!!  Tacos or fajitas?  There’s a Mexican joint or food truck on most street corners.

Some “fusion” is okay, I guess, but pizza ain’t where I want to find it!!

Just me!! Y’all do whatever!

If you don't like it, don't eat it.  If you like it, go for it.  I'd give it a try even though I'm not a fan of chicken and waffles.

Yesterday I made "pizza" with the dough, a thin smear of ricotta, some green can parm, thinly sliced onions, and grated white cheddar.  It was pretty good.  Also good with a sprinkle of "everything" bagel seasoning on it before baking.

53 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If you don't like it, don't eat it.  If you like it, go for it.  I'd give it a try even though I'm not a fan of chicken and waffles.

As I see it, the offense is not that the combination is either good or unappetizing. That's a matter of taste.

The trouble is calling it 'pizza'. Calling it pizza will never make it pizza.

I don't hate Canadian bacon and pineapple pizza, I just find it excruciatingly boring. But that chicken and waffles thing looks dangerous! And messy! :D 

30 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

As I see it, the offense is not that the combination is either good or unappetizing. That's a matter of taste.

Ah, so if I call it "Hawaiian inspired pie type dish on a pizza style crust that isn't actually a pizza" I should be in safe territory. It's always in the details, isn't it?

I partially agree.  Bought a frozen pizza in the Canadian bacon section.  It was sliced ham, no pineapple, and sweet BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce.  Changes that drastic from the norm should be in big bold print on the box.  Surprise pizza is rarely good.

44 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

If the syrup is pepperoni flavored I’ll allow it.

Howdy,

I have no intrest in bbq pizza or chicken pizza or pineapple pizza or any sort of mex pizza.

One weird pizza I do like is........BLT pizza.

A place near my sister makes this and my brother in law just groans when I order it.

He doesnt have to eat it. He can order and eat what ever he wants.

I have suggested it to local shops and NO is all they say.

Just too bad the place is 400 miles from me.

One local place uses raw sausage which makes tasty but very greasy pizza.

Different strokes....

Best

CR

When my mom made homemade pizza it’s was fairly plain, olive oil, tomato sauce, oregano, a little garlic and grated Romano cheese not melted mozzarella. We usually ate it with a nice big Italian sausage link with the pizza folded over it. Now Mama Mia that’s Italian!!B) :)

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It comes down to what the definition of "pizza" is.    The word itself goes back to a codex from A.D. 997 and appears in the terms of the lease of a mill.  Was there "pizza" before the Pizza Margherita was invented in late 1800s?  Does the pizza commonly sold before that, topped with oil, salt, garlic, and oregano really "pizza?"

Modern definitions seem to say it has the dough, tomato sauce, cheese, and maybe other toppings.  So, does a white sauce or pesto rather than a tomato based sauce mean it's not pizza?  

35 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

When my mom made homemade pizza it’s was fairly plain, tomato sauce, a little parsley, a little garlic and grated Romano cheese not melted mozzarella. We usually ate it with a nice big Italian sausage link with the pizza folded over it. Now Mama Mia that’s Italian!!B) :)

A treatment a little like Calzone.  Have to try it.

36 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It comes down to what the definition of "pizza" is.    The word itself goes back to a codex from A.D. 997 and appears in the terms of the lease of a mill.  Was there "pizza" before the Pizza Margherita was invented in late 1800s?  Does the pizza commonly sold before that, topped with oil, salt, garlic, and oregano really "pizza?"

Modern definitions seem to say it has the dough, tomato sauce, cheese, and maybe other toppings.  So, does a white sauce or pesto rather than a tomato based sauce mean it's not pizza?  

We call that white pizza .

35 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

To me it means it's not. Not the first losing battle, but still....

Is a fish sandwich a fish burger? A lot of places it is, but how is that possible?

26 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

To me it means it's not. Not the first losing battle, but still....

Is a fish sandwich a fish burger? A lot of places it is, but how is that possible?

Is the fish ground?

7 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

a fish sandwich a fish burger? A lot of places it is, but how is that possible?

Different thing since "burger" is short for "hamburger sandwich," itself short for "sandwich of steak in the Hamburg style." Whereas "pizza" seems to mean a thin flatbread with at least olive oil, garlic, salt, and oregano as toppings, or, since the 1870s, flatbread topped with tomato sauce, cheese, and maybe other toppings.   A very wide, almost open ended, range of possibilities.

I would grudgingly say that a formed fish patty on a bun , with or without the usual hamburger sandwich fixings, could be styled as a "burger style fish sandwich." In short, fish burger. I usually call it a fish sandwich. 

Language is an ever changing thing as we see going from "steak in the Hamburg style" to "hamburger," and from "hamburger sandwich" to the more common "burger."

Well, adding “sweet” stuff to pizza is just weird. As long as I don’t have to eat it, that’s fine. And while I am eating my normal pizza I really don’t want to hear how good your weird pizza is. 

A thought just occurred to me. 
When having a meal with someone who wants to inflict themselves upon you for their own entertainment regarding their weird eating habits and your obvious disdain for their choices I think it might be a good time to merge a couple of threads in your mind and discuss them with your meal partner. 
I think it would be totally acceptable to discuss this while they are gloating over their weird food selection. 
https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/342931-final-remains/

Especially my post about donating bodies to science. 
Oh, and an added bonus. Do you know that during the decay process quite often the human body gives off a sickly sweet smell that some equate to the smell of pineapples or maple syrup?

Yeah, I am a bad, bad man…

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

A thought just occurred to me. 
When having a meal with someone who wants to inflict themselves upon you for their own entertainment regarding their weird eating habits and your obvious disdain for their choices I think it might be a good time to merge a couple of threads in your mind and discuss them with your meal partner. 
I think it would be totally acceptable to discuss this while they are gloating over their weird food selection. 
https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/342931-final-remains/

Especially my post about donating bodies to science. 
Oh, and an added bonus. Do you know that during the decay process quite often the human body gives off a sickly sweet smell that some equate to the smell of pineapples or maple syrup?

Yeah, I am a bad, bad man…

Yes you are despicable :P:lol:

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

When my mom made homemade pizza it’s was fairly plain, tomato sauce, a little parsley, a little garlic and grated Romano cheese not melted mozzarella. We usually ate it with a nice big Italian sausage link with the pizza folded over it. Now Mama Mia that’s Italian!!B) :)

I forgot to add oregano (not parsley) and olive oil. -_-

29 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

... what, no banana slices?

Sure if you feed it to monkeys! :lol:

One of the weird pizzas I have personally encountered in the past year?

F7983773-FDEF-47C8-8B7B-72D6AD367280.thumb.webp.a52aa0efe6b0ba288f3c3eef0152c969.webp

My daughter, who loves the latest trends in cooking, was raving about this pizza. She bought it just because she hadn’t tried it. 
So, not only does one encounter weird pizza toppings, I guess now one can encounter weird pizza bottomings…:rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One of the weird pizzas I have personally encountered in the past year?

F7983773-FDEF-47C8-8B7B-72D6AD367280.thumb.webp.a52aa0efe6b0ba288f3c3eef0152c969.webp

My daughter, who loves the latest trends in cooking, was raving about this pizza. She bought it just because she hadn’t tried it. 
So, not only does one encounter weird pizza toppings, I guess now one can encounter weird pizza bottomings…:rolleyes:

My friend tried it and said it wasn’t bad. 

Archived