SASS Wire Forum

How many of these did you hear growing up?

Buckshot Bear

8 of 18. A couple of them were similar to what I heard but the word “Damnit!” was very prevalent in my house with some of those. If I heard “ Damnit Boy” I had best duck. 

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Number eight was, "who was your maid last week?" Never heard slave, but heard maid a lot.

That list is Aussie, so I reckon 8 would be cultural as it was a common expression here when I was a kid.

Yeah I figured it was Commonwealth when it said you didn't get pudding until you finish your supper.

Pudding here is a specific type of sweet. I think it's called custard in Europe. But in England pudding is that sweet dish you have after you eat supper. We call that dessert.

35 minutes ago, czhen said:

Mom's words turn off the light the company is rich we aren't.

My niece and nephew, from Texas, were spending the summer with my parents. One day my niece was in the kitchen and when she left she left the light on. Mama, sitting in the living room, yelled at her - "Turn that light off. You work for Gulf Power?"

She turned around and said, "Grandma, Daddy says that all the time. Who's Gulf Power?"

You forgot this one

"There are children starving in Korea"

41 minutes ago, T.K. said:

You forgot this one

"There are children starving in Korea"

...... I, once(and once only), offered to send those poor starving children that which was before me  ...........    :wacko:

I must be old, kids were still starving in Europe when I was young.  I recall an old Allan Sherman bit where he related how his folks told him just that, so he cleaned his plate but “they kept starving and I got fat.”

Seamus

Once when I was in 4th grade my mom told me “You better eat that! There are starving kids in China that would give anything for that.”

I promptly got up from the table and went and got a box I had saved just for this occasion. I brought the box into the dining room and sat it on the chair that I had been sitting in and I picked up my plate and sat it in the box. I looked up at my mom and said “What do you suppose their address might be?”

In a flash my dad had me by the back of the shirt and up the stairs we went. I got a whipping that night, boy. :lol:

And I laughed myself to sleep…after I figured out the right position to sleep in with a sore butt. 

Later I awoke to hearing my mom and dad laughing about my little show. I never let them know I heard them talking and laughing about it. 

Yeah, I got by butt whipped a lot as a kid. I was a little wise guy. But I grew up all right. ;)

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yeah, I got by butt whipped a lot as a kid. I was a little wise guy. But I grew up all right;)

........ that's what you say ....   :P

Don't do as I do .

Do as I say !

Do you ever wonder if at dinner, the kids from China, Africa and Korea, et al heard "eat your dinner, they're children starving in America"?

"Stop your crying or I'll give you something to cry about"

This seemed confusing as a kid!

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

"Stop your crying or I'll give you something to cry about"

This seemed confusing as a kid!

Murphy was arrested and taken to the brig. She did not approve of that - notice the dead MP lying on the floor in the first panel.

co20180907bL.thumb.jpg.11fe022c496934de94705b6bea623eab.jpg

Archived