SASS Wire Forum

Has anybody ever shot a Nauga?

Quit poaching! They are now endangered and protected in CA!

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I used to like the feel of Naugahyde but then the girl wearing the skirt made from that elusive critter’s hide slapped me. :rolleyes:

............. can't imagine why .....    :blush:

54 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

As are unicorns and Sasquatches.  -_-

(Not to mention crooks and "undocumented travelers," although neither of those are particularly endangered.)

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I used to like the feel of Naugahyde but then the girl wearing the skirt made from that elusive critter’s hide slapped me. :rolleyes:

Mess with my skirt I'd slap ya too.

JHC

11 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Mess with my skirt I'd slap ya too.

JHC

Nope........not even gonna go there......

I've long heard that they hydes were the preferred clothing material of Artesians... helped 'em hide right handily! :)

There is no need to shoot a Naga. That's like shooting a sheep so you can get the wool, or slicing open the goose to get the golden egg.

Read the second sentence in the copy.

The-Nauga-is-ugly-Naugahyde-1967-750x994.thumb.jpg.7c763c4951d2734556dab79b32c79d2e.jpg

ONCE A YEAR HE SHEDS HIS HIDE FOR THE GOOD OF MANKIND.

Not sure exactly what it means, but they "tuck" ( thinkin' a family word for raising them ) in Connecticut!  Naugatuck on the west side of the state. Pretty sure they did raise Naugas there at one time!

On 1/27/2022 at 2:42 PM, DeaconKC said:

Also they cause cancer in CA.

22 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Never even seen one.  They hide too well.

Never seen one either, only fragments of their hides. Did see a strip of hide once in a fabric and upholstery supply store. I was struck with awe... One strip was eight feet wide and 500 feet long! All on one roll.

No way I would tackle the wild Nauga by myself.

57 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Did see a strip of hide once in a fabric and upholstery supply store. I was struck with awe... One strip was eight feet wide and 500 feet long! All on one roll.

A lot of people think like that, but it is inaccurate.  Naugas are only about the size of a fox, what you see in the commercial establishments is the product of special skiving machines that split the hides, then taper the edges so that they can be joined seamlessly into larger sheets.  It takes about 40 naugas to cover one recliner.  

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A lot of people think like that, but it is inaccurate.  Naugas are only about the size of a fox, what you see in the commercial establishments is the product of special skiving machines that split the hides, then taper the edges so that they can be joined seamlessly into larger sheets.  It takes about 40 naugas to cover one recliner.  

I was going to prove you wrong, but the communist fact checkers have apparently completely corrupted the Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naugahyde

It says there that Naugahyde is an "American brand of artificial leather."

But as reported here:

https://www.thehogring.com/2015/04/01/wwf-adds-naugas-to-endangered-species-list/

Reporting on the WWF adding the Nauga to its endangered species list,

In a statement on its website, animal rights group PETA lauded the response as “a step in the right direction,” adding that “automakers should be ashamed of themselves for the many crimes they’ve perpetrated against the planet’s biodiversity.”

Both realities can not be correct! And I saw that strip of hide with my own eyes. It was 500 feet long if it was an inch.

4 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Also they cause cancer in CA.

Yup...  :(

image.png.5683c2625247629820899f2d838b8fdc.png

Archived