Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Quick, clean, and authentic egos


Tennessee williams
 Share

Recommended Posts

  First off, I am by far the best one I know of at being humble and modest:ph34r:. After reading a few comments on some threads here it made me wonder. "How do people really feel about other shooters"? I have said for some time that I feel there are at least 3 different type shooters in SASS. 

 

1)People that want to go fast as they are able and compete that way.

2)People who want to shoot clean without regards to time.

3)People that wish to be as authentic in dress and/or mannerism as possible.

  There is, I feel a common denominator among the 3 types that pull us all together. That is the feeling of commeraderie. Without that, the fast shooters could just shoot in their backyard a lot cheaper than going to a match. The clean shooters could do the same and nobody would be there to see the occasional miss. The authentic could dress up and limp around their living room saying "well howdy pilgrim". But...what good would it do? Not too much.

  So, what do you think of the shooter that says they ran a stage in 14 seconds? Of the shooter that says they shot clean in only 65 seconds? Of the shooter that tells about finding an authentic pair of drawers and their ensemble is now complete? Are they being braggadocious, have a big ego, or are they proud of what they have accomplished and want to share?

  I'm reminded of math class. We were just starting to learn algebra. I wanted to learn it. I tried to learn it. I studied, but just didn't understand it. I finally went to the teacher with my problems. He told me to sit next to whatever her name was when we were doing our worksheets. I immediately balked and said she was a goody two shoes that knew it all and tried to make me feel bad by telling me I was doing things wrong. I thought she had the biggest ego because she was doing stuff I didn't get. He said, well have you ever thought maybe she's proud of understanding what we're doing and just wants to help you? Well, that hit home for me and I started sitting next to her all the time. I didn't really learn any algebra from her but she sure was pretty to look at.

So...ego, or no?

   

  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just like to shoot and hang out with good people. I shoot Outlaw with all guns from the hip. I'll shoot them all from the hip at the regional even though shouldering the rifle is a bit faster. I want to shoot a clean match but won't slow down to do it. Not that I'm fast. Lol. If you sit next to me I ain't pretty. But I will teach you about my extra long nanner spoon and how fast I am with it. By the way, if I finish above you overall, you'll hear about it often. No ego here!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's like buying a conspicuous consumption item...there's ego there. Folks like recognition...period. Anyone that says they don't is lying.

 

The question is: Do the folks that you care about give a crap?

 

Probably not...

 

Phantom

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess, I don't fit in any of the categories and have no ego....

 

I don't try to be the fastest... I try to speed up but I don't feel like practicing and dry firing and what not is not worth the time for me

I don't try to shoot a clean match - shooting slow and methodically is boring, I just don't care enough

I don't try to look like John Wayne or anything - I did not grow up on westerns and cowboys

 

I barely check my scores and placements after the match, usually I don't know how well I did - don't care... and don't brag about it

 

I just go to matches to have a good time...I like to spend a weekend morning at the range, shooting guns, dressing up funny and meet new people... that's all

Edited by Last Call Saul
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Everyone has an ego...

 

yes, but mine is not in SASS shooting... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Ever post a picture...or talk about the guns you bought?

 

I sure did, but I would not call it an ego.... our definitions of ego probably vary 

in my mind an ego is one's high opinion about one's achievements, high self esteem. 

 

bragging about a cool gun... for me doesn't qualify as an ego.... 

constant desire to win every argument on the internet - does  :)

 

have a good day! :)

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh you said EGO, I thought you were talking about waffles !!!!

sp89750528_sc7.jpeg.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

 

I sure did, but I would not call it an ego.... our definitions of ego probably vary 

in my mind an ego is one's high opinion about one's achievements, high self esteem. 

 

bragging about a cool gun... for me doesn't qualify as an ego.... 

constant desire to win every argument on the internet - does  :)

 

have a good day! :)

 

Well...I guess we can always manufacture our own definitions...

 

:rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

Then there’s the ones showing off just to pick up chicks. :P

42 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

Then there’s the ones showing off just to pick up chicks. :P

Are they really out there looking for the fastest guys in town?  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

  First off, I am by far the best one I know of at being humble and modest:ph34r:. After reading a few comments on some threads here it made me wonder. "How do people really feel about other shooters"? I have said for some time that I feel there are at least 3 different type shooters in SASS. 

 

1)People that want to go fast as they are able and compete that way.

2)People who want to shoot clean without regards to time.

3)People that wish to be as authentic in dress and/or mannerism as possible.

  There is, I feel a common denominator among the 3 types that pull us all together. That is the feeling of commeraderie. Without that, the fast shooters could just shoot in their backyard a lot cheaper than going to a match. The clean shooters could do the same and nobody would be there to see the occasional miss. The authentic could dress up and limp around their living room saying "well howdy pilgrim". But...what good would it do? Not too much.

  So, what do you think of the shooter that says they ran a stage in 14 seconds? Of the shooter that says they shot clean in only 65 seconds? Of the shooter that tells about finding an authentic pair of drawers and their ensemble is now complete? Are they being braggadocious, have a big ego, or are they proud of what they have accomplished and want to share?

  I'm reminded of math class. We were just starting to learn algebra. I wanted to learn it. I tried to learn it. I studied, but just didn't understand it. I finally went to the teacher with my problems. He told me to sit next to whatever her name was when we were doing our worksheets. I immediately balked and said she was a goody two shoes that knew it all and tried to make me feel bad by telling me I was doing things wrong. I thought she had the biggest ego because she was doing stuff I didn't get. He said, well have you ever thought maybe she's proud of understanding what we're doing and just wants to help you? Well, that hit home for me and I started sitting next to her all the time. I didn't really learn any algebra from her but she sure was pretty to look at.

So...ego, or no?

   

  

perhaps we should have some new ego-based shooting categories (or styles), like the ones you listed.  

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

 I feel there are at least 3 4 different type shooters in SASS. 

 

1)People that want to go fast as they are able and compete that way.

2)People who want to shoot clean without regards to time.

3)People that wish to be as authentic in dress and/or mannerism as possible.

4) The collector, who likes collecting and shooting everything within the rules.

 

   

  

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nah....and yup.

 

There are those with ego.

There are those who feel they know all, the best way, and ooze it.

There are those who are born to annoy, those who complain...

There are those.

 

Every one is them....no matter the lable someone else gives them.

 

If you notice, different areas have different 'views' on things...

So when 150, 350, 550 or 850 people from all areas gather for a common event...there is bound to be differences brought about in the open.

 

And yes, I can say I have an ego...I like myself 

Many like me...many can't stand me...and some just scratch their heads.

It's okay...

What a world we occupy, huh?:wub:

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'm not following..

We could have

Senior, Frontier Cartridge, Gunfighter, Clean, or

Senior Frontier Cartridge, Gunfighter, Fast, etc., etc. 

Just kidding a bit.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Nah....and yup.

 

There are those with ego.

There are those who feel they know all, the best way, and ooze it.

There are those who are born to annoy, those who complain...

There are those.

 

Every one is them....no matter the lable someone else gives them.

 

If you notice, different areas have different 'views' on things...

So when 150, 350, 550 or 850 people from all areas gather for a common event...there is bound to be differences brought about in the open.

 

And yes, I can say I have an ego...I like myself 

Many like me...many can't stand me...and some just scratch their heads.

It's okay...

What a world we occupy, huh?:wub:

Alpo...did I spell lable wrong???:ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Phantom said, everyone has a ego. I don't have a problem with that, and for the most part I think it is a healthy thing that helps one stay engaged and continue to enjoy the game. Just whipping Old Johnson's butt is worth getting out of bed for, he beat me the last time! However, the people that I feel sorry for are the ones that actually believe being good at this game is important beyond the front gate. It's not.

 

Snakebite 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think everybody has an EGO.     Some more than others.    Some are obvious.   Some are proud EGO's and some are

humble EGO's.

 

But we ought not allow EGO and CONFIDENCE get confused with one another.

 

When I can beat Slater on a stage or match, my EGO gets to brag, mostly to Slater cause nobody else really cares.

And like Snakebite stated, once it gets beyond the front gate,  it really ain't important.

 

Confidence is different.   When I teach a class on SG,  I'm confident that some of the things I share will likely help

many of the attendees.   And why shouldn't it.......... I've practiced those things I teach and they have help me achieve 

many personal goals.   In my opinion, its not a bragging EGO when I (or any instructor) can share techniques

and experiences that is intended to help others.

 

..........Widder

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I try not to overthink to many things about this crazy sport, I like to go as fast as I accurately can and often fail at both, I love the equipment we use and try to just fit in with the crowd, not stand out.. But man would I like to whip ol Matt Black in a head to head matchup, in reality I have a much greater chance at winning the powerball lottery! I just LOVE this game and almost everyone I’ve met so far, ego? Yeah I guess there is one in me somewhere but at 70 years old it’s been tromped on so many times it’s pretty tame!

Edited by Silver Creek Jack
Spell
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

 

Capt,

You and TN Williams are the most 'humble' folks I know..... and modest too.

And if you don't believe me, just as TW.   :lol:

 

..........Widder

 

 

Widder,

I'm pretty sure I'm more humble than TW. And I know for a fact I have a much smaller ego than he does. I figure that makes me the best cowboy that ever was born! But I do agree with Mac Davis, "Lord it's hard to be humble, when I'm perfect in every way!".  I have also noted that I exaggerate at least 200% less than anyone I know, shoot faster & cleaner than everyone (but only in my own back yard, no witnesses), dress authentically 120% of the time, and have a strong dislike for adult beverages & sarcasm. 

Anyone who disagrees with my comments is free to have a more accurate opinion, I'll keep swimming in this pool of delusion.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of y'all should be in politics...

 

Not me, a more humble person you'll never meet and I certainly don't have an ego.

 

TW, it hurts that you didn't mention us BP shooters at all. We should've been at least number 2 on that list. Since you forgot all about me and my fellow Soot Lords(and Ladies) I'm gonna eat that nanner split I was bringing you later today...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone likes recognition and has an ego, some just handle it better than others.  Why do you think we have so many different categories in the first place?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Some of y'all should be in politics...

 

Not me, a more humble person you'll never meet and I certainly don't have an ego.

 

TW, it hurts that you didn't mention us BP shooters at all. We should've been at least number 2 on that list. Since you forgot all about me and my fellow Soot Lords(and Ladies) I'm gonna eat that nanner split I was bringing you later today...

If'n Ida mentioned BP shooters then Ida had to mention 45colt shooters too cause some of them claim 32 and 38 ain't "man" loads. You were gonna eat that split anyhow! 

Happy Birthday by the way!!!

Edited by Tennessee williams
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I definitely do not have an ego. In fact I’m better at not having an ego than everyone on this thread!

 

;)

 

Yup, he wrote the book,"My Humility and How I attained it."
Including 12 glossy photos of his most humble poses.

:D:D:D  

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Last Call Saul said:

I guess, I don't fit in any of the categories and have no ego....

 

I don't try to be the fastest... I try to speed up but I don't feel like practicing and dry firing and what not is not worth the time for me

I don't try to shoot a clean match - shooting slow and methodically is boring, I just don't care enough

I don't try to look like John Wayne or anything - I did not grow up on westerns and cowboys

 

I barely check my scores and placements after the match, usually I don't know how well I did - don't care... and don't brag about it

 

I just go to matches to have a good time...I like to spend a weekend morning at the range, shooting guns, dressing up funny and meet new people... that's all

this is how i roll as well , i like shooting my cowboy guns and reloading my ammo , i dress as well as i can to fit in but could not be classified as trying to look too authentic 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.