SASS Wire Forum

Size shot

Lefty Wheeler

The rules read, Shotgun size must be number 4 lead birdshot or smaller for all events (no steel or plated shot).

I've always used # 7, 7.5 or 8.  What are you using?

Thank you

To be honest, right now a mix of old , what looks to be, 5/7/8 that the graphite powder is floating around. (or maybe its lead dust? who knows) I got it at the scrap yard while hunting lead, December 2020....wasn't being picky as I saw the writing on the wall.  It works fine, and yes, I checked to be sure no steel shot with a heavy duty magnet.

Been burning up a few bags of "6"s for practice and monthly shoots.  Saving the 8's  for bigger matches and clay birds   GW

I've fallen in love with Remington Gun Club shotshells at 1145 fps.  I have only seen in in #9, so that's what I've bought.  I still have a fair amount of Winchester LNLR, which is #8, and Remington STS, 1145 fps which is 7.5.

I can't tell any difference in taking down targets between 7.5, 8, and 9.

I reload black/smokeless using 1 to 1-/18 oz. of  #4 through #9 lead shot of what ever I can get a hold of.  Garage sale, reclaimed, sales, etc.  I will use the smaller sizes for big matchs.

SASS rules are limited to "bird shot" sizes (4 and smaller) because many ranges are close enough to homes or other buildings that larger sizes would carry out to hit.   It's a range safety decision. 

And many ranges have 7.5 as the largest size allowed.  So, I only load 7.5 or 8 shot.  Then, I'm legal at any range or even trap, skeet or clays matches, too.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

Does it really matter the legal shot size for distance the targets are set up at?

That's why I asked, didn't know if most people were using something closer to the larger legal limit.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, appears the smaller diameter is a preferred size.

im using reclaimed from a trap range , majority is 7 or 8 but ill bet there was a little 6or 5 mixed in because the sporting clays folks were not well monitored over the years that was running , ATA is pretty strict on what is to be used for trap 

4 hours ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

When possible, I shoot 8, if not 7 1/2. The smaller sizes carry less potential harm if they bounce back. I see it as a safety thing.

If you are trying to address bounce back, then chilled being softer than magnum shot should be considered.

Archived