SASS Wire Forum

Grateful for seat belts, car seats, and Guardian Angels.

I took a day of vacation yesterday so Cora and I could go to a children’s museum.  We were bopping up the avenue listening to Motown when some dumbarse decides to run the red light at a high rate and pegged me in the front left quarter panel.  

When the car stopped sliding I unbuckled and ran to her.  Cora was crying but otherwise unhurt.  (Her mom took her to the doc to be sure.)  Two nice people who saw the whole thing stopped and made sure we were okay, then stayed to verify to the police that we had the green light.

I got an ER trip because of C3/4/5 fusion surgery, but all the hardware is intact with just a stinger and some soreness. 

Seat belt?  Worked like a champ.

Car seat?  Even before the fire trucks arrived, Cora had calmed down and was most worried that my wife’s car had a boo-boo.  The chair did its job.

Guardian Angel?  If the guy had hit my door at that speed instead of the quarter panel, it would have been a very different outcome.  

I’m sore but okay this morning, and the car can be replaced. 

Much to to be grateful for.

Glad you're okay. Take it easy for a few days, then reschedule that trip to the museum.

Glad to hear you're all ok. What carseat do you have? I may need to recommend that to the wife when we have a kid in a year or so...

My wife got rear ended by a drunk driver in West Palm Beach. She was stopped at a light and he hit her doing about 50 mph. If she was in a car she'd be dead. The impact literally broke her seat. I used to give her a bunch of crap for driving a Range Rover in Florida where there are no hills and no snow, but it saved her life so I stopped making fun of her vehicle choice. That was 4 years ago, shes now needing to get neck surgery from the herniated discs. Oh, the drunk driver didn't have insurance OR a license. 

I drive a shoebox and have to make extra sure that cross traffic is stopped because I don't think I'd survive any sort of moderate impact. It's not often but I have managed to avoid being creamed a few times now from people blowing red lights at supersonic speeds. 

Always be aware of your surroundings as much as possible. You never know when there's an idiot near you.

JR

55 minutes ago, John Ruth said:

Glad to hear you're all ok. What carseat do you have? I may need to recommend that to the wife when we have a kid in a year or so...

John,

Below are details about the seat. My son did a lot of research before Cora hatched. This one is relatively easy to get in and out of the car, and adjust as she grows. It obviously did it’s job yesterday. I’d recommend it to anybody. 

D83C4FA2-5AD0-49FB-9330-FAE721EEED6F.jpeg

0BBD81C2-9496-4360-B5FE-1264AF573012.jpeg

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Is the da in custody?

That’s one of the irritating twists. 

While getting Cora out of her car seat, I looked over (40 yards or so away) to see the other driver getting out of his car. He’s a 30-ish male. Ok, so he’s not hurt. Then another car stopped by and seemed to be helping him. All of a sudden he starts walking away and around the corner. XXX?

When the officer arrived and started taking statements, some lady comes over and identifies herself as the driver. Tells him that she tried to run a yellow but I jumped the gun too. XXX?

I gave my side, minus the driver switch, then went back to tending Cora. 

A few minutes later I get the cop alone and tell him that the woman was not the driver. He nodded and said the Good Samaritan witnesses already corroborated everything I said. The guy probably had a warrant out. He still had to talk with the lady about the switch. 

Before leaving to the ER, my wife talked again with the officer. He said the woman admitted to not being the driver but “did not know” who the man was. I’m no lawyer, but doesn’t that make this a hit and run, and the woman admitted to filing a false police report?  But the officer said they’re not allowed to do anything in these cases. XXX?

I could go down a dark hole about this facet of yesterday, and its snapshot of our society as a trend. 

Instead, I will be grateful that Cora and I are okay, and that the car can be replaced. 

I've read (I'm long past the time where it makes a difference to me) that car seats are like bulletproof vests. They are basically consumables. If you end up using it, you need to go get another one. Don't take the chance that it got internally stressed from the accident.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I've read (I'm long past the time where it makes a difference to me) that car seats are like bulletproof vests. They are basically consumables. If you end up using it, you need to go get another one. Don't take the chance that it got internally stressed from the accident.

You are correct. Like Kevlar, SawStop blades, and other emergency gear, they’re good for one use. 
I already cut out the straps and have a new one on order. 

Charley Harley:
You were lucky you had some good people who hung around as witnesses.

I got T-Boned in my then new Cougar be a red light runner, who then claimed I had jumped the light.

The #$#$@% behind me, who witnessed the whole thing tried to say he saw nothing and drove away.

Fortunately, a driver coming the opposite direction hung around and filed her report. that we had the light and reminded the traffic LEO that the red light runner had to go through a red, because we had a delayed green!

(Then the fun started with MY insurance company!)

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Yes, it is law in some states that insurance has to cover the car seat too.

So glad to hear that you both are okay. Please rest for a bit as sometimes the effects of the crash are not felt for a few days. 

Survived four serious car accidents due to my seat belt. Thank God you are all okay.

I was asked one time if I could determine how many fatalities were the result of people not wearing seat belts. Long story short took me around 2 months of thorough investigation and my results was this. 94% of fatalities that year were people not wearing seat belts.

Archived