SASS Wire Forum

.45 Colt, Factory Made

Whiskey Hicks

Hey pards, got another question for ya. I’m far from having all the guns I need for CAS or having the stuff required to reload ammo.

What factory-made loads and brands of .45 Colt do you all swear by in matches? Wondering what I should be looking for on the store shelves. 

Even ammo labeled "Cowboy" will be pretty stout compared to reloads.   Pretty much any factory ammo with an all lead bullet is okay in this caliber.  I have used Winchester Cowboy Loads, Remington, and a couple of "off" brands I've seen at stores that was lower priced.  Generally I only bought the factory stuff to get me reusable brass when it was hard to find when I first started in the game.   Since then I've found plenty of empty brass to load up.  

15 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Even ammo labeled "Cowboy" will be pretty stout compared to reloads.  

That being said,

most .45 Colt loads of any kind are loaded well below what they could be because of the company's fear someone will blow up their old SAA.

45 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I load my own but I know others that use these re-manufactured ammo suppliers

Bullets by Scarlett

Georgia Arms

Freedom Munitions

If you buy from Scarlett you'll get a hug every time she sees you.

Randy

If it's for pistol try 45 schofield a little less recoil, when if I buy loaded ammo I try to get ultramax, hsm, black hills or fioccha cowboy loads they all support our game. They all are a little pricey so as stated keep your empties and buy a lee single press off someone to get started. I used mine for 8 full seasons of 2-3 shoots a month. 

Rafe

Brands are not too important.  You need to find a bullet weight that shoots to point-of-aim from your revolvers.  You also need a cartridge overall length that feeds well in your rifle and a bullet shape (truncated cone or round nose flat point) that feeds smoothly into the rifle chamber.  Once you buy your firearms perhaps another shooter will let you try some ammo to see how it works.  BTW, once you start loading you can settle on a round that works well in both your rifle and revolvers.

14 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Brands are not too important.  You need to find a bullet weight that shoots to point-of-aim from your revolvers.  You also need a cartridge overall length that feeds well in your rifle and a bullet shape (truncated cone or round nose flat point) that feeds smoothly into the rifle chamber.  Once you buy your firearms perhaps another shooter will let you try some ammo to see how it works.  BTW, once you start loading you can settle on a round that works well in both your rifle and revolvers.

I just need a SASS legal load out to look for to start. I figured brands might help.

20 minutes ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

I just need a SASS legal load out to look for to start. I figured brands might help.

The brand doesn't matter too much. That said there is at least one off brand that doesn't reload well but I can't remember which one. In some range brass I occasionally come across one of those cases. The issue is they don't fit into the shell plate.

I know that Scarlett's loads are tailored  for CAS.  

I have used a lot of the Black Hills cowboy ammo when doing classes, and it has been great.  Never particularly cheap, but good ammunition if you can find it.  As said before, keep your brass...

Check out Choice Ammunition. Excellent product, good pricing and they are SASS supporters (look for their ads in the Chronicle). 

1 hour ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Check out Choice Ammunition. Excellent product, good pricing and they are SASS supporters (look for their ads in the Chronicle). 

What he said.

I won a box of their 45 colt ammo 200g powder coated rnfp bullet, 445fps, made with Starline brass and Federal primers. Suitible for rifle or revolver. Great lite recoil load for Cowboy but will not meet WB pf.

kR

For the price of a couple of cases of ammo, you can go out and buy yourself a nice progressive loader.  

Another recommendation for Scarlett’s “Cowboy Cartridges”.  Once you are ready to load your own cartridges Scarlett can provide you with the same bullets used in her cartridges and the label of the cartridges provides you with the load data so that you can duplicate the ammo!  Some thought went into that.

35 minutes ago, Sarge said:

For the price of a couple of cases of ammo, you can go out and buy yourself a nice progressive loader.  

Reload,  you can get a Lee Classic Turret kit for what you'll spend in just a few matches. One kit includes dies, the other includes scales. Till then Scarlett's;). Good Luck:)

https://kempfgunshop.com/Lee-Turret-Press-Kit.html

I didn't know Scarlett made the whole cartridge I thought they just sold the bullets. 

I don't reload, so I get mine from a guy at the gun club.  His ammo works out to be about 54 cents per round.  But he's not been able to reload for a while because of health reasons, so I've been looking for an alternate supply. 

I don't swear by these, it's just 2 that I recently found that are cheap (both below 50 cpr).  I haven't had a chance to shoot them because of chinese bat aids. 

sellier and bellot.  I think i got lucky with my sub 50 cpr price because I don't see them that cheap right now.  When I bought it was from unammo.com

BVAC (Bitterroot Valley Ammunition Company).  It's out of stock right now but I think that's because of the pandemic too.  I was only able to order a few boxes of it and when I spoke to the lady at surplusammo she said they were down the road from them and assured me they were still in business. 

https://www.surplusammo.com/products/45-long-colt-255-grain-lead-swc-bvac-cowboy-action-20-rounds-new.html

27 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I didn't know Scarlett made the whole cartridge I thought they just sold the bullets. 

I don't reload, so I get mine from a guy at the gun club.  His ammo works out to be about 54 cents per round.  But he's not been able to reload for a while because of health reasons, so I've been looking for an alternate supply. 

I don't swear by these, it's just 2 that I recently found that are cheap (both below 50 cpr).  I haven't had a chance to shoot them because of chinese bat aids. 

sellier and bellot.  I think i got lucky with my sub 50 cpr price because I don't see them that cheap right now.  When I bought it was from unammo.com

BVAC (Bitterroot Valley Ammunition Company).  It's out of stock right now but I think that's because of the pandemic too.  I was only able to order a few boxes of it and when I spoke to the lady at surplusammo she said they were down the road from them and assured me they were still in business. 

https://www.surplusammo.com/products/45-long-colt-255-grain-lead-swc-bvac-cowboy-action-20-rounds-new.html

You may want to check out Ammoseek you can change the search to meet your needs.  I found them accurate and you can search for ammo, reloading supplies, guns and magazines.

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

You may want to check out Ammoseek you can change the search to meet your needs.  I found them accurate and you can search for ammo, reloading supplies, guns and magazines.

Than looks like a useful site. Do you need to join to use it, I couldn't find a search window to check them out.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Than looks like a useful site. Do you need to join to use it, I couldn't find a search window to check them out.

ammoseek.thumb.png.b44e315df4d4627c211b7210ab9b5183.png

I never joined just modify search (red circle)

wow i think you need to look at buying the cheapest lee single stage press  and digital scales and a lee powder measure for 12 bucks a stage savings wont take long .... ask a cowboy that you shoot with to help it aint that hard to reload with a load book and someone with experience

Archived