Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Widder, SASS #59054

'Possible SPAM': what is it?

Recommended Posts

About once a week on average, I get a phone call that is identified as 'Possible SPAM'.

 

When I see it, I immediately just hit the OFF button.  

 

QUESTIONS:  

1.  If our phone systems can identify such incoming calls, why can't it identify the numbers they originate from?

 

2.  What makes it a SPAM call?

 

3.  If I answered the call, what kind of call would it be?..... advertisement, overseas call, solicitation, etc.....

 

..........Widder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

About once a week on average, I get a phone call that is identified as 'Possible SPAM'.

 

When I see it, I immediately just hit the OFF button.  

 

QUESTIONS:  

1.  If our phone systems can identify such incoming calls, why can't it identify the numbers they originate from?

 

2.  What makes it a SPAM call?

 

3.  If I answered the call, what kind of call would it be?..... advertisement, overseas call, solicitation, etc.....

 

..........Widder

 

When caller ID was originally developed, there was no concept someone would actually lie about the ID.

 

The technology was originally for fax systems. The owner of the fax machine would program the number into it. Later as the technology developed the ID could be the company name rather than just numbers.

 

This is completely different from "tracing" a call to find the true origin.

 

As to what the call might be... Well, if a number is not in my address book, it goes to voice mail. If the call is important enough to leave a message then I can add the caller to my address book in the future.

 

As to some who have actually left messages... Apparently my travel visa from China is revoked and there is a warrant out for my arrest in multiple jurisdictions for money laundering. Apparently I can call them back and make arrangements to resolve the issue.

 

Also there seems to be some problem with my student loans. And various credit cards. Again, they want me to call back to resolve the issue.

 

And then there are the car warranty programs...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have gotten 2 of these. 
I answered both because I wondered how Verizon knew it was spam. 
One was a call from my doctor’s office. 
The other was a definite scammer. 
So, my experience is 50%

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possible Spam: What is it?

 

People have been wondering that same question ever since 1937 when it was invented.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a call center in Escondido that does this kind of stuff. They do nothing but telephone marketing 12 hours a day until covid-19 hit and their parking lot has been empty for about six weeks. I drove by yesterday and there were about a dozen cars there so it looks like they are getting ready to start up again, rats. How do I know that it’s a telemarketing call center? Because I know a scumbag that works there and he’s pretty proud of what he does and he’s good at it and he’s an ex con which is a job requirement I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The primary ingredient in Spam is chopped pork shoulder meat mixed with ham. About 90% of Spam is pork from a pig's shoulders. The remaining 10% (or so) comes from the pig's buttock and thigh, better known as ham.

 

image.png.b10f5a0a957626e765e074e8bf259aab.png

 

Sorry I couldn't resist being a wise a$$ :rolleyes:

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My I-Phone 6 says, "Spam Risk"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Panasonic phone system is programmed as follows: If the number is not in my phone book, there is a message to the caller "We are unable to answer the phone at this time, please press one to leave a message in my voice mail." There is no ringing on my end. Stops the junk calls, which is especially handy during the endless election cycles. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My iPhone and Service Provider do the same thing.  If the caller is not in my contacts, the call gets shunted off to Voice Mail.  Callers I really want to talk to, leave a Voice Mail.  SPAM callers, do not and I block those numbers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

As to some who have actually left messages... Apparently my travel visa from China is revoked and there is a warrant out for my arrest in multiple jurisdictions for money laundering. Apparently I can call them back and make arrangements to resolve the issue.

 

Also there seems to be some problem with my student loans. And various credit cards. Again, they want me to call back to resolve the issue.

 

And then there are the car warranty programs...

If I have the time, I'll let it go through to the caller, and when they start their spiel, I'll hit them with,:

(Best phoney indian accent,) Hello, this is Bob from Microsoft. Our technicians have discovered a problem with your com-put-er."

Click!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spam.  I grew up kinda poor (well... more than "kinda!" :rolleyes:), and Spam was a real treat in our household.

 

So back during high school days (68-69) I had a weekend/summer job working for the Navy at the Oakland Navy Supply Depot.  Packed and shipped everything from anchor chain to silver coffee services for shipboard officer's wardrooms.

 

But part of that time was spent shipping provisions - including pallets of these whopping huge six pound cans of Spam!  And every once in a while a can would fall and get damaged... and we'd all have 'spam steaks' for lunch.  :blush:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did any of you get a spam call from your own phone number?  I have on several occasions.  Same for e-mail from myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

 If the caller is not in my contacts, the call gets shunted off to Voice Mail.  Callers I really want to talk to, leave a Voice Mail.

This. ^^^^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good many of my calls are 1st time calls from other Cowboys wanting info on a Marlin problem or

sending me a Henry .22 to modify.    Its A LOT easier for me to take those calls then to return the call

and also have to leave a voice message.

 

..........Widder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I answer I hope it's not a recording so I can have some fun.  My area code is from South Texas so a lot of the calls show a number with the same area code.  I figure if their from South TX they should know how to speak Spanish right?  They don't and then they hang up.  Or if their from India while they're talking I'll google Hindu Curse Words and then use a couple.  That infuriates them, they usually curse at me and they hang up.  One guy bothered me so I called him back, he wasn't too happy after the 5th or 6th call and he blocked my number.  Life's short have fun with them.  YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 8:58 AM, Cypress Sun said:

Possible Spam: What is it?

 

People have been wondering that same question ever since 1937 when it was invented.

I don't know, but if you slice it thin and fry it it's pretty good.

JHC :lol:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Did any of you get a spam call from your own phone number?  I have on several occasions.  Same for e-mail from myself.

Yes only once and it freaked me out!!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may have been that feller what was giving everybody money. I answered the other day and they sent me a check for a thousand bucks! It was some prince from Africa been trying to give his millions away for several years. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

It may have been that feller what was giving everybody money. I answered the other day and they sent me a check for a thousand bucks! It was some prince from Africa been trying to give his millions away for several years. 

So I guess you're buying the drinks this week, or has the check cleared yet?

JHC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever I get a call that says “possibly spam” I get excited hoping it’s spam coming my why. I used to despise the stuff, especially after my army days, but I’ve since discovered this recipe guu I d spam and kimchi fried rice that is to die for. Now I look forward to spam 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 6:58 AM, Cypress Sun said:

Possible Spam: What is it?

 

People have been wondering that same question ever since 1937 when it was invented.

Pig's A$$. Bacon's cousin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

So I guess you're buying the drinks this week, or has the check cleared yet?

JHC

Yep, drinks are on me! They're waiting for yall in the man cave.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.