SASS Wire Forum

Another Covid Post

Yul Lose

So May 1st there is a county wide face mask requirement if you are out in public with any chance of coming within six feet of anyone. I’ve been wearing a bandana tied around my neck and if asked I’ll raise it up and wear it across my mouth. I won’t put it over my nose because I can’t breath with it like that. Anyway the wording of the notice by the county is pretty vague and I’m wondering how many citations are going to be issued for not wearing your mask in the proper fashion. I saw one woman the other day wearing a scuba mask with snorkel and I’m pretty sure there’s not a filter in the snorkel or mask so the protection factor with one of those would be pretty small, IMO, of course. It’s going to be interesting.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the mask only has little protection for me.  But, provides better protection for others as the mask contains much of my particles (Germans).  So, when going out where I'm likely to encounter other folks, like the grocery store, I'm wear the mask for the other folks.

Yeah, right.  That didn't work for Frank and Jessee either!!

I carry a bandana in one of my shopping bags in case some place requires masks.  NC is struggling with the issue of masks since the CDC is recommending people wear them, but masks are illegal in NC.  I was born & raised in SC and reeeeeeeeeeealy want to move back there.  At least get out of Mecklenburg Co.

5 hours ago, MizPete said:

I carry a bandana in one of my shopping bags in case some place requires masks.  NC is struggling with the issue of masks since the CDC is recommending people wear them, but masks are illegal in NC.  I was born & raised in SC and reeeeeeeeeeealy want to move back there.  At least get out of Mecklenburg Co.

Don’t you mean “New England of the South”? Having those two scum bucket bank headquarters headquarters in Charlotte did nothing but ruin that nice little city. 

For any of you wondering about masks and it being illegal to wear masks, North Carolina isn’t the only state that bans masks:

http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/mcs/maskcodes.html

GA suspended the anti mask law for now.  Our restaurants opened yesterday so I took my crew to eat to help them out and the staff all had mask so I asked if we had to wear them while we eat but they said no.  I was trying to lighten things up.  They were excited a family of 6 came. 

Ohio's gov. mandated masks starting May 12..........I got mine............

IMG_2041.jpg

10 hours ago, MizPete said:

Masks are also technically illegal in several states with the exception of common holidays.

But those rules are waived during the present condition. About 50% of the people in Harris Teeter were wearing masks when I went yesterday.

As stated the main purpose of the mask is to prevent you spreading the virus. Especially if you are one of those asymptomatic people. But it will also provide some small bit of protection for you, depending on the type of mask. I got a stock of very good masks in finally. I wear them when I’m out because I absolutely cannot risk becoming infected and spreading to my wife. I’ll take all the protection I can get.

Masks have been required here for so long I feel odd if I walk outside my house without one.  I am the engineering manager of a manufacturing plant that has been deemed "essential" and company regulations have required a mask be worn at all times.

Times change, months ago if you walked into a gunshop to buy ammo with a mask on, you would probably be held at gunpoint until the cops came for you.

DOD guidlines sez bandannas/gaitors are good enough so that's good enough for me. Masks don't so much protect you as they do prevent you from infectin' others. Staying six feet (or more) away from people, properly sanitizing your hands, not touching your face and avoiding cross-contamination will do more than masks will. But they prolly help. Mind what you touch, like touchpads at the register, don't use them and then touch yourself, your wallet or anything else without sannying your hands.

Seeing how people are just makes me angry. I can't blame'em for being a little scared, they're just doing what they're told is advisable. Most of'em never worked in a field (apparently) where they had to use PPE so they don't know. Don't get me started on the poor reporting we have in this Country that seems to be all about scaring people half to death with crap. Our governor still hasn't said a dang thing and his order expires Thursday. Of course the stupid little demmycrap Phoenix mayor says we couldn't possibly open anything. Leave it up to her, she'd have us all on 100% house arrest until next Christmas. But I don't live in Phx no more, so she can stick that where the sun don't shine....Her own city council already shut her down once but she apparently is too dense to get the message. Sad. 

Our fearless governor here in Ohio, Mike DeWine, backtracked on his order for everyone to wear a mask including customers. He got soooo much flak within 24 hours that he changed his mind! He admitted it. Then this morning he's trying to say that it was because of a mom he talked to that had an autistic child who was afraid to wear a mask. He's such a sleazebag!:angry:

Now he's leaving it up to the stores to decide whether customers have to wear them or not. You know something like, No Shirt, N Shoes, No Mask, No service! I wonder how many businesses are going to sign on to that!:lol:

34 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Our fearless governor here in Ohio, Mike DeWine, backtracked on his order for everyone to wear a mask including customers. He got soooo much flak within 24 hours that he changed his mind! He admitted it. Then this morning he's trying to say that it was because of a mom he talked to that had an autistic child who was afraid to wear a mask. He's such a sleazebag!:angry:

Now he's leaving it up to the stores to decide whether customers have to wear them or not. You know something like, No Shirt, N Shoes, No Mask, No service! I wonder how many businesses are going to sign on to that!:lol:

There a number of businesses that have that requirement here and I wear my neckerchief knotted around my neck and not over my mouth or nose and none of them have objected or requested that I put it over my mouth or nose. I guess it’s just a feel good thing to post something like that or knee jerk maybe. Who knows anymore with this stoopid thing?

Here in South Carolina being considered "law abiding" by the state police, who administer concealed weapons permits, is a condition of issuing or renewing permits. A clean record is essential. And no, we don't need to debate the need for or constitutionality of permits here. The point is that if it's a law, best abide by it or consider the consequences.

28 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Here in South Carolina being considered "law abiding" by the state police, who administer concealed weapons permits, is a condition of issuing or renewing permits. A clean record is essential. And no, we don't need to debate the need for or constitutionality of permits here. The point is that if it's a law, best abide by it or consider the consequences.

Did some legislature somewhere pass a law mandating masks?  Or are elected officials just deciding they have the authority to tell citizens what they have to wear?

I question the legality of both the shelter in place 'orders' and the mandates requiring folks to wear masks. 

I plan on hitting the lake for some fishing tomorrow, without a mask.

14 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Did some legislature somewhere pass a law mandating masks?  Or are elected officials just deciding they have the authority to tell citizens what they have to wear?

I question the legality of both the shelter in place 'orders' and the mandates requiring folks to wear masks. 

I plan on hitting the lake for some fishing tomorrow, without a mask.

I think the relevant statutes are cited here, claiming authority under South Carolina law.  I would guess other States would be similar. It would make sense that someone has to make the call, especially when the legislature is disabled. But not to worry, if the Governor wants to remain popular enough to get reelected. However, that could mean public welfare judgments are compromised in favor of political considerations. The real problem is people who don't want to cooperate, the proverbial herding of cats.

3 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I think the relevant statutes are cited here, claiming authority under South Carolina law.  I would guess other States would be similar. It would make sense that someone has to make the call, especially when the legislature is disabled. But not to worry, if the Governor wants to remain popular enough to get reelected. However, that could mean public welfare judgments are compromised in favor of political considerations. The real problem is people who don't want to cooperate, the proverbial herding of cats.

I believe this document supersedes South Carolina statutes.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn recently, but I'm pretty sure telling me I can't leave my home except for reasons pre-approved by the state is depriving me of liberty.  I can't recall being summoned to court and undergoing due process, but perhaps the government is allowed to skip that part if our masters decide it's appropriate, in which case those are just words on paper with no meaning at all.

Some of our politicians are doing their best to ensure this 'crisis' doesn't go to waste. The sheeple comply without question.

How much of your liberty are you willing to give up for security?

14 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I believe this document supersedes South Carolina statutes.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn recently, but I'm pretty sure telling me I can't leave my home except for reasons pre-approved by the state is depriving me of liberty.  I can't recall being summoned to court and undergoing due process, but perhaps the government is allowed to skip that part if our masters decide it's appropriate, in which case those are just words on paper with no meaning at all.

Some of our politicians are doing their best to ensure this 'crisis' doesn't go to waste. The sheeple comply without question.

How much of your liberty are you willing to give up for security?

But does the "due process of law" enable formal declarations of states of emergency or martial law?  Don't forget that the law often finds the means to suit the desired outcome. Gun owners should know. :>).

1 minute ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

But does the "due process of law" enable formal declarations of states of emergency or martial law?  Don't forget that the law often finds the means to suit the desired outcome. :>).

I don't know the answer to that.  I do know that if those rights can be suspended at any time because any governor decides there's an emergency or wants to declare martial law, then they aren't really rights, they're privileges. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I don't know the answer to that.  I do know that if those rights can be suspended at any time because any governor decides there's an emergency or wants to declare martial law, then they aren't really rights, they're privileges. 

Agreed, but I do think the Bill of Rights should not be a suicide pact.

12 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I think the BOR either means what it says, all the time, or it's toilet paper and should be used as such.

Problem is that the courts, at any given time, will decide on how to “interpret” what it says.

4 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I think the BOR either means what it says, all the time, or it's toilet paper and should be used as such.

I don't believe the law really works that way. I think the courts are pretty busy interpreting what is right and wrong and accommodating prior decisions. Also, we do not have a central government. My understanding is that States, especially former Confederate, are bound only by force of the illegitimate 14th Amendment and the leverage of the income tax.  Even then, they are bound only by certain cases (and rights), where the US Supreme Court applied the 14th to the States. The 2A, or strict or literal interpretations of it, is one of the rights that has not been applied to the States. The Constitutional authority in question regarding each of us is that of the State, not the US. We can know what seems right or is literally true, but that doesn't mean the laws in effect see it our way.

Masks will be required here in public beginning on May 11. However, the governor has stated in his briefings that nobody will be arrested or ticketed for non compliance, but if noticed by authorities you will be asked to put one on. He also said that businesses could refuse service or ask you to leave for non compliance. 

On 4/28/2020 at 11:55 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Does my mask make my head look fat?

No. Your head looks fat all of its own accord.....

Sorry couldn't resist....

;)

3 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Masks will be required here in public beginning on May 11. However, the governor has stated in his briefings that nobody will be arrested or ticketed for non compliance, but if noticed by authorities you will be asked to put one on. He also said that businesses could refuse service or ask you to leave for non compliance. 

Oh well, how does that work? If you refuse or have no mask? Do you get arrested for disrespect? If I was an LEO, I think I would want some authority rather than be expected to be a bully.

36 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Oh well, how does that work? If you refuse or have no mask? Do you get arrested for disrespect? If I was an LEO, I think I would want some authority rather than be expected to be a bully.

Have no idea. Should be interesting. 

I would assume it works the same way as carrying a gun.

Here in Florida NO GUNS ALLOWED signs have no force of law. If I wish to enter a store which has a sign forbidding guns, I ignore it and walk on in.

If, however, some store personnel were to notice that I was wearing a gun and told me that I had to leave, and I did not leave, I could be arrested for trespass.

It therefore seems logical that if I went into a store without a mask, and the store manager told me I needed to put a mask on or leave, and I did neither, he would call the cops and have me arrested for trespass. Not for not wearing a mask. For not leaving the store when I was told to.

Archived