SASS Wire Forum

Things you learn now at the grocery

One of the main ones is what people DON'T like. The stores around here look like they're in the last day of a going out of business sale. But you can pretty much buy all of these you want. They're all over the place. Bon apetite!

JHC :D

71ggaIBIsqL.jpg

We've been watching Bones during some downtime. Due to one  episode we watched recently I cannot bring myself to eat beef stew or soup of any kind really. The murder victim was ground up and put in canned soup, yuck.

42 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

One of the main ones is what people DON'T like. The stores around here look like they're in the last day of a going out of business sale. But you can pretty much buy all of these you want. They're all over the place. Bon apetite!

71ggaIBIsqL.jpg

The only problem with those is they're loaded with sodium and carbs! I'll eat 'em if I have to but I generally stay away from stuff like this!

The two main grocery stores in our town a week ago, looked like those old photos of a Soviet Union grocery store.......bare shelves.  Went into both yesterday and the shelves were both back to 98% of normal.  Both had toilet paper and kleenex and no one was fighting over them.  I was sure pleased to see that, maybe it's a bit of a turn around........sure hope so.

To quote the title of one of Ann Murray's songs, "We sure could use a little good news today."

I have been to three different stores the past 10 days. Each in a different part of town. The interesting part is each store is different on what items they have plenty of and which items they have none of. The only consistent items are bread and paper products. Both still fly off the shelf faster then they can be stocked. Even with the store restricting the quantities to one finding a loaf a bread is a challenge.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Went into both yesterday and the shelves were both back to 98% of normal.  Both had toilet paper and kleenex and no one was fighting over them.  I was sure pleased to see that, maybe it's a bit of a turn around....

Alberta huh?  Not that long a drive.   :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

The two main grocery stores in our town a week ago, looked like those old photos of a Soviet Union grocery store.......bare shelves.  Went into both yesterday and the shelves were both back to 98% of normal.  Both had toilet paper and kleenex and no one was fighting over them.  I was sure pleased to see that, maybe it's a bit of a turn around........sure hope so.

To quote the title of one of Ann Murray's songs, "We sure could use a little good news today."

Same here much improved over last week. I had a couple of those Hormels on my cross country trip. Easier to pop one in the hotel microwave at the end of the travel day. Not bad. Not great. Like a Rye said, full of calories and sodium. Like C rats. ;)

1 hour ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

The two main grocery stores in our town a week ago, looked like those old photos of a Soviet Union grocery store.......bare shelves. 

Depends on what kind of city.

nuclear cities, rocket cities had plenty. Also military.

i hired a tour of the castles in the Lviv area of Ukraine. The guide talked about his youth. His father was Soviet Army, they ate well. Often his mother would tell him to invite a friend for supper. That ensured that his friends would eat well at least once a week.

Our local market has no sales this week.  They usually have a two page spread in a local trade paper.  They have ground chuck, but no ground beef.  The paper goods aisle looks like it was a looted electronics store.    Bread is available.  Some fresh veggies are still hard to find, and potatoes are limited to 10 pound per family.  

A week or so ago I decided to go in and pick up a couple cans of Spaghetti-Os. Okay I admit it, I like the stuff and keep it on hand for a quick lunch when I'm busy. Sure enough the canned food shelves were nearly wiped clear except for the Spaghetti-Os and a couple other things nobody else likes. :P

5 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

A week or so ago I decided to go in and pick up a couple cans of Spaghetti-Os. Okay I admit it, I like the stuff and keep it on hand for a quick lunch when I'm busy. Sure enough the canned food shelves were nearly wiped clear except for the Spaghetti-Os and a couple other things nobody else likes. :P

I got some Chef Boyardee ravioli. And I don’t care who knows it. ;)

Those Hormel things will do in a pinch, but like MREs, I wouldn't want to have to live on them.

The stores in my area are hit and miss with some things. It just depends on the store chain and what deliveries they have received that day.

I was in one of the grocery stores in the nearby town yesterday. Went down the soup aisle because there was nobody there. Lots of canned soup, but the cartons of chicken broth, and the pasta on the other side of the aisle, had taken a beating... :D 

And of course the toilet paper aisle...

I was in Safeway a few days ago.  Pasta, almost gone.  No TP or paper towels. Bread pretty well gone.  Produce was plentiful.  Canned beans, jarred red sauce were at about 10% of normal, as were canned corn and green beans.  Plenty of ibuprofen, no Tylenol.  Lots of Easter candy.  Plenty of eggs.

The grocery store near my home had a few bare shelves: T-P, P-Towels, Flour, some brands of bread, some varieties of canned veggies, frozen fish was non existent and only a couple of packages of stew meat - no roasts, steak, hamburg, pork chops etc.

Many of the truck stops that serve truckers diesel, food showers and toilets etc are closed down ether partially or completely and that is affecting deliveries. 

Never look .  I do not buy prepared food.      Make mine myself      GW

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Those Hormel things will do in a pinch, but like MREs, I wouldn't want to have to live on them.

The stores in my area are hit and miss with some things. It just depends on the store chain and what deliveries they have received that day.

I think they ARE MREs. They used to be tolerable at least. Last time or two I ate one they were pretty nasty.

JHC

5 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

We've been watching Bones during some downtime. Due to one  episode we watched recently I cannot bring myself to eat beef stew or soup of any kind really. The murder victim was ground up and put in canned soup, yuck.

I went to Walmart yesterday and it looked Santa Clause had visited.  The only places that weren't somewhere between partially stocked and fully stocked were produce and the beef part of the meat deparment.

Some brands weren't available and we were limited to one of each item in most parts, but I got paper towels (one 6 pack), frozen peas,  a half gallon of milk, some dog treats and a tomato.  Didn't get shaving cream (they didn't have my brand), and Stouffer Swedish meat balls.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Same here much improved over last week. I had a couple of those Hormels on my cross country trip. Easier to pop one in the hotel microwave at the end of the travel day. Not bad. Not great. Like a Rye said, full of calories and sodium. Like C rats. ;)

Bob, your comment has me craving for a can of lima beans & ham heated up in the pot that the single burner Coleman stove came in.  I smuggled it & a gallon of fuel in battery equipment to Germany for the Reforger 1971 exercise.  At least the guys in my section didn't have to eat cold C rats.

P.S. Lima Beans & Ham is the only way I can eat lima beans.  My mother & maternal grandmother would occasionally serve them plain. Yuck!!  Up there with cream peas & carrots & creamed peas.

10 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

71ggaIBIsqL.jpg

........ but did they have any food ?

25 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Went to Sam's Club today for meat.  No meat.  Very little bread.  So I bought wine.

always a good choice, or alternative, for that matter!

:)   B)

See if you can find.......

Healthy Choice Teriyaki Beef frozen “tv” dinner +/-  /about $2.50.

They’re pretty good (if you’re living alone or are in a hurry)......microwave 4 minutes (quick, too!).  There’s quite a bit there, but you could even heat up and add more carrots and rice if you want to.  

Most of those tv dinners are kinda so-so (if that), but this one is the only one I buy, so I keep 2-3 in the freezer, so I don’t have to “cook” from scratch all the time.

Cat Brules

Archived