Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoss

Sharps Rifles.

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

Thanks for the tip.  I have 1,000 plus of 45-70 cases,  about 500 45-90 cases, and no need for 45-110.  But the fact that Starline makes it just once a year kind of demonstrates my point that 45-70 is a bit easier to get components for.  

Maybe it's 'cause the .45-70 is also a smokeless round, and the others are BP only. ;)

Plus-The .45-70 also commercially loaded............

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Maybe it's 'cause the .45-70 is also a smokeless round, and the others are BP only. ;)

Plus-The .45-70 also commercially loaded............

OLG

Undoubtedly.  I load bp for my 45-90 and 50-70 (for sharps and 1870 trapdoor). I load both bp and smokeless for 45-70.  The bp loads duplicate the velocity of the GI 45-50 carbine load (a period download of the 45-70 for use in cavalry carbines). They are very pleasant to shoot in my 1886 winchester carbine or the H&R officers model trapdoor.  I don’t own an original 45-70 right now, but am on the hunt.  I would shoot bp in that.  

 

However, we have strayed a good bit from the point of the original post topic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an older Shiloh Sharps in .45-70 and love it.  One vote for Shiloh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go with a Rifle in .40-65 shooting bullets weighing between 370 - 410 Gr.  Less pounding than the bigger .45s and still with the reach for 1,300 Meters Plus ...

 

Jabez Cowboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Go with a Rifle in .40-65 shooting bullets weighing between 370 - 410 Gr.  Less pounding than the bigger .45s and still with the reach for 1,300 Meters Plus ...

 

Jabez Cowboy

I've heard 40-65 is a nice caliber.  If one fell in my lap I would certainly condiser it.  But 45-70s are certainly more common.

 

I do have a 76 Winchester in 45-60, which is a nice shooter, but brass is hard to come by (I cut down 45-70 for it)  I could see myself confusing 45-60 and 40-65  pretty easily!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a Shiloh Sharps #3 Sporting Rifle in .45-70 for the last 12 years. I have only had the opportunity to shoot it out to 500 yds, but it was no problem taking down steel rams at that distance. I wish there were more CAS matches that had long range side matches. In my area there are only 3 a year, and I run one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dapper Dynamite Dick said:

I have had a Shilo Sharps #3 Sporting Rifle in .45-70 for the last 12 years. I have only had the opportunity to shoot it out to 500 yds, but it was no problem taking down steel rams at that distance. I wish there were more CAS matches that had long range side matches. In my area there are only 3 a year, and I run one of them.

A Shilo is where you go to store grain. :lol:

Shiloh is where you go for the best Sharps made.........:D

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Silo

I know^_^

Was wonder'n how long till someone post'd that...........

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoss;

Not an issue the .40-65 case is longer than a .45-60 case ... and New Star-line brass is available in .40-65... Or a single pass through your .40-65 sizing die and .45-70 cases are now ready flare and load ....

I use my .40-65 far more than my .38-55s. or my .45-70 ....

I have really good success with my .40-65 from 580 yards out to over 1,300 meters.

Mine is a Uberti High Wall with a 30 inch Barrel ....

I seem to really notice the advantage of this gun out passed the 500 yard range ...

 

Jabez Cowboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2019 at 8:49 AM, Dusty Feller said:

I have a Shiloh Sharps 45-70 Montana Roughrider, with Soule sights added, for sale.

 

Bought it new, about 10 years ago, and never fired it--it has been, and still is, a safe queen.

 

I suppose that I should figure out how much; he said with a smile.

 

Anyone interested in it, just let me know.

Dusty and I have made a deal on his rifle. Can’t wait to get it and try her out!

 

im sure I’ll shoot some BP, but likely going to start with that heathen smokeless stuff.  Anybody have a pet load you care to share?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hoss said:

Dusty and I have made a deal on his rifle. Can’t wait to get it and try her out!

 

im sure I’ll shoot some BP, but likely going to start with that heathen smokeless stuff.  Anybody have a pet load you care to share?

 

 

Hoss congrats on the rifle. I use 28gr of Clays behind a Magnus 405 gr LRNFP bullet. works mighty fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ease of finding .45-70 brass was a major reason for my choice of that calibre.

Anything other than .45-70 seems to be unobtainium here in Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 10:17 PM, Red Cent said:

The 38-55 from Uberti or Pedersoli is usually made with an 18:1 twist. This limits the weight of the bullet to be stabilized. My C Sharps has a 14:1 twist and does well with a 335 Postel bullet. Accurate Molds has a 360 gr tapered bullet for breech seating that is screaming at me. 

 

 

My Uberti HiWall 38-55 has a 18-1 twist. Won’t stabilize a 335 grn bullet. Sounds like a bee buzzing. I did find a 310 that works well. I really like the 38-55, fun rifle to shoot without getting beat up. Mine is very accurate unless it’s windy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoss-What's the details on the Sharp's.

FYI-Shiloh uses a 1/18 ROT in their .45 cal bbls.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, Black Mike said:

Can't go wrong with the Uberti/Pedersoli.  Would love to have a Shilo but this rifle is a fine shooter at 300 yards with smokeless or black and 405 gr bullet. Shot 600 yards once but did not get a lot of time. I now use APP exclusively and it shoots great. Tough offhand as it is heavy but off sticks it is just fine. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Black Mike, sent ya a PM! Thanks - SCJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you plan to ever shoot NRA Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette matches, make sure your rifle is under the 12 lb 2 oz. weight limit.  My Shiloh, a Long Range Express with extra fancy walnut had to have 4" cut off the 34" barrel to make weight.  The 3 times I went to Nationals, it weighed 12 lbs 1 oz.  https://competitions.nra.org/media/7825/nra-silhouette-rifle-rulebook.pdf.  page iv.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Griff said:

If you plan to ever shoot NRA Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette matches, make sure your rifle is under the 12 lb 2 oz. weight limit.  My Shiloh, a Long Range Express with extra fancy walnut had to have 4" cut off the 34" barrel to make weight.  The 3 times I went to Nationals, it weighed 12 lbs 1 oz.  https://competitions.nra.org/media/7825/nra-silhouette-rifle-rulebook.pdf.  page iv.

Wish Shiloh would put that info on their site.

They do include it in the catalog.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 12:32 PM, Hoss said:

unless someone can convince me otherwise. 

 

 

 

Not trying to talk you out of a Sharp, but if you are open to other models give the CPA rifles a serious look.  CPA makes a scaled up copy of the Stevens 44-1/2 action.  The Stevens 44-1/2 offers one of the best double set triggers available.  The action also offers a slight camming while closing which can help stuff a cartridge into a dirty chamber.  Oh and the best part about the Steven's 44-1/2 action IMHO is the fact that barrel, firing pin block, and extractor are all easily swapped out which means you can have one rifle capable of shooting anything from 22lr all the way up to 45-110.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Not trying to talk you out of a Sharp, but if you are open to other models give the CPA rifles a serious look.  CPA makes a scaled up copy of the Stevens 44-1/2 action.  The Stevens 44-1/2 offers one of the best double set triggers available.  The action also offers a slight camming while closing which can help stuff a cartridge into a dirty chamber.  Oh and the best part about the Steven's 44-1/2 action IMHO is the fact that barrel, firing pin block, and extractor are all easily swapped out which means you can have one rifle capable of shooting anything from 22lr all the way up to 45-110.

I made a deal on a Shiloh Sharps, but if the right Stevens 441/2 fell in my lap, who knows!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a Shiloh a few years back, and have never been able to pin down the exact year of manufacture. Shiloh says they don't have any data on the serial number range due to the breakup, "but probably inlate '89". That doesn't fit with the breakup, so...

 

Piecing together data from other owners, and when they bought theirs, it appears it was probably made in late '85 or early '86. Who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same issue-but I know my gun was previously owned by Mike Venturino .  I like to think he taught Tom Sellek proper handling techniques for a Sharps with my gun, even though the likelihood seems low.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I picked up a Shiloh a few years back, and have never been able to pin down the exact year of manufacture. Shiloh says they don't have any data on the serial number range due to the breakup, "but probably inlate '89". That doesn't fit with the breakup, so...

 

Piecing together data from other owners, and when they bought theirs, it appears it was probably made in late '85 or early '86. Who knows.

You should join the http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

And post your questions there. ;)

IIRC-What we today call Shiloh Rifle Manufacturing, opened in Big Timber, MT in 1990 from a New York move.

The rifles built when your was, has a long freebore for paper patched bullets. 

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You should join the http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

And post your questions there. ;)

IIRC-What we today call Shiloh Rifle Manufacturing, opened in Big Timber, MT in 1990 from a New York move.

The rifles built when your was, has a long freebore for paper patched bullets. 

OLG

I got my rifle in April of 1987, from Big Timber, the move was before that.    My rifle is in the very middle of the 8300 serial range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Griff said:

I got my rifle in April of 1987, from Big Timber, the move was before that.    My rifle is in the very middle of the 8300 serial range.

 

I'm no longer responsible for my memory, or what goes on in my mind.........:lol:

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is toward the end of the 7900 range, so that makes late '86 or early '87 fit - a year later than my previous guestimate.

#6122 was shipped from Shiloh in January of '84, and yours, say approximately #8350 is from April of '87, so a rough average of about 83 rifles per month, making mine about 4 to 5 months earlier, so somewhere around November '86 to January '87 would be a good guess... if they were assembled sequentially, instead of a block of numbered receivers where, say, 8150 and 8350 could have been assembled on the same day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be very surprised if Shiloh put out 83 rifles in one mouth.

The place ain't that big(I've been there)and there's lots of very detailed hand fitting.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone on the forum guessed a hundred a month, and that sounded pretty ridiculous. Eighty three still sounds high, so maybe they don't assemble them sequentially. It's only a hundred miles from me, but it's been a few years since I've been there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Someone on the forum guessed a hundred a month, and that sounded pretty ridiculous. Eighty three still sounds high, so maybe they don't assemble them sequentially. It's only a hundred miles from me, but it's been a few years since I've been there.

Call the office, and find out when Kirk or Lucinda will be there. 

Make the trip and bring your rifle.

You may also want to bring your credit card......:lol:

There's a neat store called 'The Fort' just across the street from Shiloh, and always has a good selection of used guns.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I'm no longer responsible for my memory, or what goes on in my mind.........:lol:

OLG"

 

i like this thinking , im going with that from now on as well , but before i start - hows that workin out for ya ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 8:17 PM, Red Cent said:

The 38-55 from Uberti or Pedersoli is usually made with an 18:1 twist. This limits the weight of the bullet to be stabilized. My C Sharps has a 14:1 twist and does well with a 335 Postel bullet. Accurate Molds has a 360 gr tapered bullet for breech seating that is screaming at me. 

 

 

Pedersoli make a fine 12 twist in their high wall.  My shooting partner cleans my clock regularly  with that rifle. He's using a 375 grain bullet

                                          JA
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a big fan of John Schoffstaff of C Sharps.  I have two 74s in 45-70.  They both shoot excellent.  He is still president of C Sharps and is a previous owner in the Farmingdale Sharps.  I have also owned a Shiloh.  They are about the same price.  I bought all two of mine back in the 5 year wait period.  They were worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, July Smith said:

Not trying to talk you out of a Sharp, but if you are open to other models give the CPA rifles a serious look.  CPA makes a scaled up copy of the Stevens 44-1/2 action.  The Stevens 44-1/2 offers one of the best double set triggers available.  The action also offers a slight camming while closing which can help stuff a cartridge into a dirty chamber.  Oh and the best part about the Steven's 44-1/2 action IMHO is the fact that barrel, firing pin block, and extractor are all easily swapped out which means you can have one rifle capable of shooting anything from 22lr all the way up to 45-110.

         I can't say enough good things about the Shuttleworths!! Beautiful accurate rifles with great customer service. I have four barrels for mine. 22 lr, 40/65, 45/90 and last but not least is the 22 hornet barrel with a nikon 4-12 mil dot all loaded up and ready to harvest some pesky squirrels today!!

Not meaning to belittle the great Shiloh Sharps. I have a long range express in 40/90 Sharps straight and after much trials and tribulation it shoots like a house a fire!! I wouldn't trade either rifle for love nor money!!!

                                  Jasper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.