SASS Wire Forum

Sharps Rifles.

Hoss

I shot long rang at Trailhead last week. 500 meters with a 38-55 HiWall us a bit of a stretch. I’m going with a heavier caliber. Thinking I want to get a Sharps. Most likely 45-70, unless someone can convince me otherwise.  I’m sure it will be a repro. Should I go with 74 or 77 model?  Any particular makers to avoid? 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look into C. Sharps also. They build theirs in the same town as Shiloh - Big Timber MT - and have "similar genes' so to speak. Quality of either of these USA built rifles is top notch.

http://csharpsarms.com/factory-tour.php

and more neat videos of the factory here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbwEol8X38Iqwe0GsBlbw6Q

FWIW: Pedersoli shooters win a lot of matches.... ;) 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

16 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

For very long range I hear they use 500gr. bullets.

I load a 540gn Paul Jones Creedmoor cast from 30/1(lead/tin)alloy for both our .45-70 and .45-90 Shiloh's.

Pan lube with DGL.

In the .45-90, I'm using 85gns of Old 'E' 2F with a MV of 1355fps out of a Shiloh 30" bbl.

Except for the wood(comes from Missouri)-Shiloh makes everything, including the barrels in house, in Big Timber.

Only thing done off-site, is the engraving by Suzi Blakely.

OLG

I have a 74 Pedersoli in 45-70 with a 32" bbl. It is a fine shooting rifle and fit and finish is really fantastic. They are truly a fine rifle for the money. I bought mine used on here and am really happy that I did.

The only problem I have ever had with my Pedersoli is minor but it crops up often: A little girl with a .38-55 H&R Buffalo Target rifle. Can ruin a whole match for me!:D

1 minute ago, Michigan Slim said:

The only problem I have ever had with my Pedersoli is minor but it crops up often: A little girl with a .38-55 H&R Buffalo Target rifle. Can ruin a whole match for me!:D

Know the that feeling well. ^_^

My wife:wub: has beat me more than a few times with my own Shiloh...

Makes for a L O N G drive home. :lol:

OLG

The Pedersoli can be had for a grand. I got mine on sale for $900.00 or so from Cabelas. Buffalo Target was $350.00. You don't need to break the bank if you don't want too.

If you check the Classifieds, Long Colt has a 1885 HiWall for sale in 45-90 and the price is very good.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Is the “little” girl too cute and causes you to be distracted?

1 minute ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Is the “little” girl too cute and causes you to be distracted?

My daughter. It's the clang on steel that's distracting!

And a Father’s pride, I am sure. Meant no offense, didn’t know. Figured there was a “soiled dove” in the competition and went for the humor. 

You are fortunate to have the time with her!  Enjoy as they grow up too fast. 

HOSS, the 38-55 will reach 500 meters just fine. I shoot a 335grain postell in mine out to 800 with a starting muzzle velocity of around 1350fps. You can use a slightly lighter bullet but you need the high BC to carry that far. Something in the range of 280grains with a gas check and smokeless with a MV of 1400-1450 ans reach 500 meters just fine.  Make sure of the barrel twist and bore diameter as 38-55's vary widely.  No need to get another gun unless you just want one.  Put good sights on the 38-55 and enjoy the lighter recoil.

Shiloh Shiloh............. MVA MVA .......... it the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weight!!

Make it 12#s or heavier. 

C Sharps makes beautiful Hi Walls in 45-70 or bigger. And you can choose your stuff including barrel weight and style. 

A 10# Sharps shooting a 500 gr slug at 1400fps is going to leave a mark.

I have a Shiloh in 45-70. Excellent cartridge, it does punish the shoulder thou.

Seems like the older you get. The more it punishes it.

If I was going to purchase  another one it would be in the 40-65 cartridge. If you are going to use it for target shooting your shoulder will thank you. For target shooting the 40-65 can get out there .

No I am not going to quite shooting my Shiloh.

Lumpy, that looks like a great product!  I have a Shiloh 45-90 and a Shiloh 50-140.  The 45-90 is fun to shoot and the 50-140 is fun for other people to shoot.  The 50-140 is a New York gun from before the move to Montana. 140 grains of 2f and a 630 grain pill will get your attention.

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Know the that feeling well. ^_^

My wife:wub: has beat me more than a few times with my own Shiloh...

Makes for a L O N G drive home. :lol:

OLG

Ya I know that feel all to well also.   Its even a longer ride home when my wife beat me and all the other men at the match.

You could always get what Buffalo Bill used.  .50-90 Trapdoor or a 1884 Trapdoor in .45-70.  It will shoot with any of the Sharps.  You can find a good one for $600 or more.

5 minutes ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

You could always get what Buffalo Bill used.  .50-90 Trapdoor or a 1884 Trapdoor in .45-70.  It will shoot with any of the Sharps.  You can find a good one for $600 or more.

I gave an1874 Trapdoor Carbine. I enjoy shooting it. But I just kinda want a longer barreled Sharps 

5 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

HOSS, the 38-55 will reach 500 meters just fine. I shoot a 335grain postell in mine out to 800 with a starting muzzle velocity of around 1350fps. You can use a slightly lighter bullet but you need the high BC to carry that far. Something in the range of 280grains with a gas check and smokeless with a MV of 1400-1450 ans reach 500 meters just fine.  Make sure of the barrel twist and bore diameter as 38-55's vary widely.  No need to get another gun unless you just want one.  Put good sights on the 38-55 and enjoy the lighter recoil.

I tried a 335 Bullet in my HiWall. Sounded like a bee buzzing down the range. I currently shoot a 310 grain that does well. But one range I shoot at has ram knockdowns at 500 meters. I’ve hit them without knocking them over. And when it’s windy it gets real tough. A spotter told me he cold see my bullets moving with the wind. 

I have Kelley sights. 

I do kinda want a Sharps! 

I use a 1884 Trapdoor rifle that was used to shoot out to 1000 yards at the big blackpowder rifle range in NM.  I have a C Sharps in .45-70 that I can't shoot as well as the trapdoor.  Also have an H&R trapdoor rifle.  I load using a 525 gr lead.  Have a Browning High Wall in .38-55 which works good for SASS but like the trapdoor better.  You shooting the carbine load or the rifle load?

Place an order for the Shiloh. It’s only a $250 deposit. Then get yourself a used pedersoli or what I did a c Sharps 1875 for about the same money. Then in two years when your Shiloh is ready sell the other. Or keep both

The Sharps is a great rifle... I have a Shiloh in 40-90SBN... I've owned it since 1987... I've yet to shoot a decent group, but have finished 7th at the NRA BPCRS Championships when I was about 28 years younger.... Still didn't shoot a 100 yard group worth beans... and hasn't improved as I've gotten older.

The .40 calibers handle the wind better than the .38s... but the .45s are in another league.

A bit of blasphemy here, the 1885 has a faster lock time, and in its original form, cocks with the lever... you eliminate one motion.  In a non-timed event, this is a non-issue, but... when time is a tie breaker, it just might be the difference.

And then... if your heart is set on a Shiloh... give 'em a call and see what they have hanging on the wall... no wait, instant gratification.  (I didn't do that, I wanted what I wanted and was willing to wait... my wait was about 13 months... the wait time can vary... call and get the straight skinny from Shiloh.  

Caliber?  Well it all depends on how far you want to shoot, and if the wind blows.  Larger and heaver calibers carry better than the smaller ones.  I have a 45-90, a 45-70, a 45-65 and a 38-55.  My son has a 45-100.  I’ve been at this long-range game for over 20 years and I can tell the 38-55 will go out to 500 yards.  But will it do it when the wind blows?  The wind moves that light bullet all over the place, it’s not the best choice.  The 45s would be more than optimum for that distance and beyond.   The 45-70 will do 1000 yards, but the 45-90 and 45-100 will do it tad better.  Just remember the larger calibers also shoot very well at shorter distances too.

As for the weight of the rifle, if you are into target shooting, then a heavy rifle is better.  My 45-70 weighs in at 14 lbs.  My son’s 45-100 hits the scale close to 18 lbs.  Weight helps absorb recoil.  You will appreciate a light recoiling rifle after shooting a 40 round match.

If you are not going to shoot past 500 yards, I would highly recommend a rifle like my 45-70.  Mine is a 1874 Shiloh Sharps, but there are other great rifles, like the C Sharps 1874 or 1885 Winchester High Wall.  Ya, I know that Shiloh has a long wait for a new one.  So, look for a used one.   The most bang for the buck is a Browning BPCR (high wall clone), and they come with a decent set of Soule type sights.  The BPCR are available used on Gun Broker fairly often.  

One final thought, learn all you can on reading the wind and adjusting your sight to compensate. 

Archived