SASS Wire Forum

Best Powder for 45 LC

American pioneer powder fffg or GOEX, just don't let the sun go down before cleaning. i dunk my brass in a mixture of vinegar and water then rinse and tumble when i get home.:D

For smokeless i like Trail boss.

Hope this helps.

No matter what kind of powder you use (smokeless or black) you will get dirty brass. Part of what you expect when shooting 45lc. I personally use nothing but Titegroup with a good crimp.  Just have to clean your brass very good. JMHO

Winchester WST is what I use, a little smoky on the case but cleans up very quickly in my tumbler.  Cases don't HAVE to be jewelry.  Just remove the grease and dirt.   Anything more is (vanity   :lol:).   

I've found most of the double-base powders (that contain some nitroglycerin as well as the standard nitrocellulose)  leave lots more soot and greasy residue on cases.  That would include some of these common powders, even some recommended above:

TiteGroup (very high NG content)

Bullseye (high NG content)

Unique

(and most other powders made by Alliant and Winchester)

The exception to that seems to be a couple of double-based powders that run much cleaner - Clays and E3.

If you are using conventional lubed bullets, much of the grime is coming from the lube.  The poly coated bullets remove almost all of that.

Bottom line - 

So, if you must have "as clean as possible" fired cases, I'd suggest Clays and a poly-coated 250 grain slug in .45 Colt.

Good luck, GJ

I use Clays. Reason is that Clays may be used for my 357,  45acp, 45 colt, and for 12ga. One powder fits all so one 8lb is all I need for a while.

I find Trail Boss to work well and and cleans up easy. Its very bulky so its easy to see while loading, but because its so bulky it's only available in 9oz cans or 5lb kegs.

Just now, Mink Shoals Bandit, #49388 said:

Titegroup or Clays is the cleanest I have found..    Trailboss is the dirtiest... 

+1

Howdy

Have I stated recently that dirty or stained brass shoots just as well as shiny clean brass?

The only real disadvantage to dirty or stained brass is it is harder to find in the grass.

As already stated, with the low pressure loads we usually shoot, not enough pressure is generated to fully expand the cases to seal the chamber, so blowby is common. It is not a big deal.

A good tumble with a drop of polish added should get your cases as clean as they need be. For what it's worth, a little bit of powdery residue on the inside of the cases does not mean anything. It does not cause any problems,

My go to Smokeless powder for all my revolver loads is Unique. Part of the reason I like Unique is it takes a reasonably large charge to do the same job as 2 grains of Whiz Bang. The more you fill up that cavernous 45 Colt case with powder, the more efficient the powder burn is.

You want to see dirty brass sometime, try shooting Black Powder.

I would recommend Hodgdon's Universal.  (They label it "Universal Clays", but DO NOT CONFUSE UNIVERSAL WITH PLAIN "CLAYS"!) Universal is similar in burning rate to Unique.  Plain CLAYS is similar to Bullseye, i.e., faster-burning than Universal!  That is NOT to say that you necessarily use the same charges for the Hodgdon powders as the Alliant powders. ALWAYS GO BY THE PUBLISHED MANUALS! 

Another thing you might try is annealing your brass.  There are several Youtube videos and websites that explain how to do it.  Several local shooters who shoot .45 LC in their rifles have had much less blow back after doing this.

All my larger caliber cowboy main match rifles are .44-40 just to avoid the blow back problem.

2 hours ago, Mink Shoals Bandit, #49388 said:

Titegroup or Clays is the cleanest I have found..    Trailboss is the dirtiest... 

Depends on how you load them.  I've found Trailboss very clean when not loaded at the bottom end of the range. When I shoot smokeless, it's my go-to powder for big cases which, are loaded at mid-range.

2 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

My go to Smokeless powder for all my revolver loads is Unique.

Mine too as well as for my Rifles in .44-40. I don't use it because it's clean or dirty, I just like the feel and sound of it.

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I would recommend Hodgdon's Universal.  (They label it "Universal Clays", but DO NOT CONFUSE UNIVERSAL WITH PLAIN "CLAYS"!) Universal is similar in burning rate to Unique.  Plain CLAYS is similar to Bullseye, i.e., faster-burning than Universal!  That is NOT to say that you necessarily use the same charges for the Hodgdon powders as the Alliant powders. ALWAYS GO BY THE PUBLISHED MANUALS! 

+1

The new labels just say "Universal". I like this powder better than Unique. It burns cleaner. BUT (there's always a 'but') In my Rossi 92 I get some blow back. if I load the rounds hot enough not to get blow back they are too hot for SASS.

21 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I, too, use Universal, but...  Can we say .44-40, boys n girls!

Clean, too.  Probably not what the OP wants to hear.... but it's a great answer.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

BUT (there's always a 'but') In my Rossi 92 I get some blow back. if I load the rounds hot enough not to get blow back they are too hot for SASS.

If you haven't already, try a heavier bullet. Solved the blowback problem when I had a Rossi '92

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

+1

The new labels just say "Universal". I like this powder better than Unique. It burns cleaner. BUT (there's always a 'but') In my Rossi 92 I get some blow back. if I load the rounds hot enough not to get blow back they are too hot for SASS.

BUTT-If you'd use Unique in the proper quantity, you'd have a more harmonious outcome.......:P

OLG

Archived