SASS Wire Forum

Default starting position

Hollifer A. Dollar

At this weekend's Dark Day on the Santa Fe, during the safety brief we were told that the default starting position is now standing upright, hands at your sides, eyes downrange. The shooter is no longer allowed to look down at guns or ammo.  I was also told that this was enforced pretty strictly at Winter Range.  I searched this forum & the TG forum & found no notice of the rule clarification.  Does anyone have any scoop on this one?

Holler

Everything but the eyes.  Hope no one was down range checking them!  

Here is the SASS default position as defined in the Shooters' Handbook 2017 edition(most current).

Page 18; Stage Conventions:

- If no starting position is given, the shooter shall stand upright with revolvers holstered, hands at the sides, and not touching any firearm. (SASS default).

Unless the range or event instructions specify other, (their going against SASS stage conventions) the rule book applies

Not a rule at Winter Range, not enforced. I am a board member of Winter Range, did not happen!

8 minutes ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Not a rule at Winter Range, not enforced. I am a board member of Winter Range, did not happen!

That's good news....now we want to know who told who, that told who, who told who:o:wacko:

18 hours ago, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

At this weekend's Dark Day on the Santa Fe, during the safety brief we were told that the default starting position is now standing upright, hands at your sides, eyes downrange. The shooter is no longer allowed to look down at guns or ammo.  I was also told that this was enforced pretty strictly at Winter Range.  I searched this forum & the TG forum & found no notice of the rule clarification.  Does anyone have any scoop on this one?

Holler

Yea... Whoever that said that has access to the ultra secret RO? handbook?

This ruling is covered under the "Shooters Intent" specific to eye sight direction! <_< No more "shifty glances" before the buzzer 

Quotations added to above text for useless dramatic effect :)

HFD -

You have been listening to the wrong (rumor) sources.   Safety briefings ought to be conducted within the letter of SASS rules.  That one was not.

Good luck, GJ

It is amazing how many new rules get invented each month!

No input from TGs

No input from Instructors

No input from Rules Committee

No input from SASS

They must float down from on high!

They are like snowflakes...... Amusing at first.

Then they they become irritating....

And if they stay around awhile, they become a pain in the a#*.

21 minutes ago, Outrider Outlaw said:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but how does one stand upright and still be able to look at guns?

Practice.

:lol:

31 minutes ago, Outrider Outlaw said:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but how does one stand upright and still be able to look at guns?

Head bowed on prayer. Asking the shooting gods to help you not screw up the stage. ;)

4 hours ago, Stump Water said:

The BS "rules" some people come up with... 

Another one of my favorites is when folks are adamant that SASS Port Arms means that your gun butt must be touching leather.

I know.  You won't find that in the rule book, either.

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Head bowed on prayer. Asking the shooting gods to help you not screw up the stage. ;)

As in The Shepherd’s prayer, Alan Shepherd’s prayer, “Lord, please don’t let me screw up.”  — Space Cowboys by James “Tank” Garner.

Some will claim the SASS default is "Fair" because it standardizes the starting position - but as the thread shows

Once the made up rules/ incorrectly understood rules and rules being inconsistently applied make their appearance - the so called standardized "Default" position is anything but standardized or default.

No different than when the inconsistencies in expectation and enforcement in "Port Arms" lead to "Cowboy Port Arms" and then to "In Hands"

The inconsistencies in expectation and enforcement of the SASS default position encouraged the Eldorado Cowboys to create the Eldorado convention of

"Unless specifically stated otherwise - shooter may start in ANY body posture or position - hands not touching guns or ammo"

Yes, this direction allows a variety of postures.  And Yes, not every shooter will start in the exact same body and hand position.

But is that really such a bad thing?  I don't think so.

Options and choices are not bad things - as long as EVERY shooter has the opportunity to do the same thing.

That's why you have seen the growth in matches and stage writing that allow for choice of gun order - movement direction - target engagement order.

Allowing a shooter to determine the best position for THEM is by far the "FAIREST" default possible.

Everyone is exactly equal in benefit - when the position they start in is the one THEY chose.

I sincerely think this game should be less about regimenting the actions of every shooter to shoot the exact same match - and more about allowing every shooter the opportunity to shoot THEIR best match within the confines of the stage directions.

We don't regulate and require the same shooting style - propellant - equipment shooter to shooter... 

I doubt allowing variations of knees bent, arms bent, head position, etc. would kill the game either.

And, lets face it...   If you were preparing to walk into a gunfight - I doubt you are going in standing straight up - hands at sides.

Creeker, I total agree, when I see this come up on the wire I wonder where people get these ideas and think it's now the rule. Looking forward to another El Dorado, I'll be a PM if you would like.

TB

Please let me look at my revolvers as I draw.  Arthritis is getting troublesome.  I don’t want to drop a loaded revolver.  I want to see what I am reaching for.  You can probably beat me even if I’m looking down.  If you can’t beat an arthritic 73 year old, maybe you should try another pastime.

Archived