SASS Wire Forum

Trains will never be not cool.

Dorado

Enjoy.

2:30 minutes into it something really cool happens.

You get a chance... watch... Emporor of the North... with Lee Marvin and Earnest Borgnine.  There is a train sequence that is hair-raisin'... two trains comin' at each other... and one of 'em... tryin' to get to a track spur... to keep from bein' hit by the high-baller.

40-Rod used to have a bunch of collectible trains... he was good at it.

ts

That is a very cool video, Dorado. I have some "foamer" friends (Railfans) that will dig it.

Thanks for posting it.

VERY cool!  But what's with the pennants on the front?

ADDED:

Also really cool to see the men servicing it, gives perspective and shows just how big those wheels are.

One old Engineering Handbook I had, from the 'mid-'40s, I think it was, said that in a 100 car train, there was only 8 square inches of contact between the wheels and rails.

I'd like to get me a good model train. Non-electric. I did have an antique train engine that really was steam powered. We set it on the track, put some water in the tank and burn a chunk of charcoal or something in the furnace. It'd run for quite a while. Don't know what happened to that.

That was WAY cool...!  :)

And yeah ~ I'm a "foamer."  Declared such by a gal I once dated who was a genuine trainmaster (retired).  ^_^

Oh, man!  Really neat 4-8-4! But what's that "diseasil" doing in there behind the real locomotive?  Man! She was really ballin'-the-jack! But watching this could cost me about $150. Just might have to put a DCC sound decoder in my DC HO scale Burlington O-5! :rolleyes: 

14 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Oh, man!  Really neat 4-8-4! But what's that "diseasil" doing in there behind the real locomotive?  Man! She was really ballin'-the-jack! But watching this could cost me about $150. Just might have to put a DCC sound decoder in my DC HO scale Burlington O-5! :rolleyes: 

That diesel was providing electricity and braking for the passenger cars. From the description that train has been clocked at 103mph.

Had thousands of dollars worth of HO gathered over nearly 60 years.  Sold it all about eight years ago and got a Marx 027 TOY train set like I had as a kid.  It isn't scale nor very realistic but it's a LOT MORE FUN!!!

Howdy,

Marx sure sounded familiar.

I went on ebay and yep the very first one looked like what I had as a kid.

Id bet th ranch my Mom gave it all to my cousins.

Cousins got my baseball cards, comic books and most every thing but my

Nichols.  For some reason she kept those for me.

Ive picked up parts and repaired some of them.

Just a low priority project.

Anybody got any spare Nichols parts?????

Best

CR

I might set up one of those trains....??? Naw course I wont.....??

Any idea which freeway that was?  I think I know but not sure.  I was trying to pick out some landmarks but couldn't.

I love the old narrow gauge steam locamotives. That 3751 is a BEAST!

She's alive.

She is alive and she has a soul and she is a beautiful lady, and we love her!

When she lays into the load and the exhaust fairly barks out of her stack, when she's sitting at a siding, breathing quietly, when she is splitting the wind and gives a triumphant howl of pure white steam out the whistle and into the air, she is absolutely, positively, undeniably, alive!

I'd like to get a group of cowboy shooters together and take a tour on one of the old steam trains. Don't tell anybody we're doing it. Just show up with tickets and board like we're just going about our business. I'd love to see the looks on people's faces. lol

8 minutes ago, Dorado said:

I'd like to get a group of cowboy shooters together and take a tour on one of the old steam trains. Don't tell anybody we're doing it. Just show up with tickets and board like we're just going about our business. I'd love to see the looks on people's faces. lol

Good Idea. We could try the one in Palestine.

13 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Good Idea. We could try the one in Palestine.

OH YEAH! I forgot about that steam train they run there. I think it'd be best to wait until fall or something so that it'd be cooler. I think it'd be a lot of fun. I'm sure the rest of the people would have fun with it too.

On 7/2/2017 at 5:59 PM, Dorado said:

I understand the lovely Miz Fannie Kikinshoot and some compadres did just that on the D&RG.

Showed up in their finest and came aboard like they owned the place.

I would give a week's pay to have been there to see it, too!

Copper Queen and i still ride Amtrak.  We are taking it from SLC to Chicago next week. Stay a few days in MI and then ride back.  Took it all the way to FL year before last and back.  We always get a deluxe sleeper. The ONLY way to travel. Haven't been on a plane since 9/11-01. If we can't drive we take the train.

On 7/1/2017 at 4:25 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

ADDED:

Also really cool to see the men servicing it, gives perspective and shows just how big those wheels are.

One old Engineering Handbook I had, from the 'mid-'40s, I think it was, said that in a 100 car train, there was only 8 square inches of contact between the wheels and rails.

That whole 8 square inches thing has always kinda bothered me.  As a mechanical engineer we were taught all about free body diagrams and force vectors and friction and deformation of materials.

They way I see it is that the only wheels that really count are the drive wheels on the locomotive.  They have maybe less than one square inch of contact with the rail (deformation of materials), but they have to provide a force sufficient to pull the train up an incline (friction).  Assuming frictionless axels on the rail cars, and even a slight uphill grade (free body diagram), the force being exerted over that one square inch is ENORMOUS!!.  And then to think of the torque that has to be applied to the drive shaft...  

My mind starts to explode and it all comes back to the fact that trains will always be cool!

10 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

They way I see it is that the only wheels that really count are the drive wheels on the locomotive.  They have maybe less than one square inch of contact with the rail (deformation of materials), but they have to provide a force sufficient to pull the train up an incline (friction).  Assuming frictionless axels on the rail cars, and even a slight uphill grade (free body diagram), the force being exerted over that one square inch is ENORMOUS!!.  And then to think of the torque that has to be applied to the drive shaft...  

My mind starts to explode and it all comes back to the fact that trains will always be cool!

The other wheels only serve to keep the train on the track

:D Yep. Steam trains are cool.

Dumped my photos to save bandwidth.

5 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

That whole 8 square inches thing has always kinda bothered me.  As a mechanical engineer we were taught all about free body diagrams and force vectors and friction and deformation of materials.

Especially when you consider that SF 3751 exerts almost 8965 lb of tractive force per wheel and this force is concentrated into an area about the size of a dime.

SF 3751's total tractive effort of 71,719 lbs is transferred to the rails with a little over 3 sq inches of total contact area.

On 7/1/2017 at 3:25 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

ADDED:

As far as I can find the pennants on currently operating steam locomotives are there just for looks. The class lights/flags were for use in Timetable & Train Order operation, which has been out of use for many years now. Trains used flags during the day and lights at night. It was developed before the existence of radios, and better communication has now made it redundant.

White indicated an extra train, one that is not authorized by timetable schedule.

Green denoted that there was "another section" of that regularly scheduled train (i.e.- schedule in a timetable) following....there could be theoretically an unlimited number of sections within the 12 hours that schedule was good for.

Regular sections of scheduled trains carried no flags, or no lights in the classification lights.

Red would never be used for a section, extra, or anthing else on the head end.....red flag or red light on the rear of train would be what the red element would be used for. Light helpers sometimes would display red classification lights on their rear end. More common practice in later diesel years was the headlight on "dim."

Blue indicated that there are workmen working on the locomotive (or cars/train) and that the flagged equipment can't be moved.

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

As far as I can find the pennants on currently operating steam locomotives are there just for looks. The class lights/flags were for use in Timetable & Train Order operation, which has been out of use for many years now. Trains used flags during the day and lights at night. It was developed before the existence of radios, and better communication has now made it redundant.

White indicated an extra train, one that is not authorized by timetable schedule.

Green denoted that there was "another section" of that regularly scheduled train (i.e.- schedule in a timetable) following....there could be theoretically an unlimited number of sections within the 12 hours that schedule was good for.

Regular sections of scheduled trains carried no flags, or no lights in the classification lights.

Red would never be used for a section, extra, or anthing else on the head end.....red flag or red light on the rear of train would be what the red element would be used for. Light helpers sometimes would display red classification lights on their rear end. More common practice in later diesel years was the headlight on "dim."

Blue indicated that there are workmen working on the locomotive (or cars/train) and that the flagged equipment can't be moved.

Thanks,. SD, learn something new in the Saloon (ACS) every day.

The pennants on that one seem too small for any meaningful signals, and look like they are from a yacht club.

Archived