SASS Wire Forum

Spirit of the Game vs Costume Police ?

LQ Jones

I made a mistake mentioning the club, you're correct on that. I apologize.

But the rest of the story is nothing but attitudes, opinions, and perceptions which don't belong here. No blackmail - rules are rules, for the shooter as much as for the club.

If you don't know the rules, don't try and enforce them. When you do,enforce them fairly and equally. ROA.

Picture of footwear in question please?

I agree, rules are rules. Did you follow the grievance procedure as outlined by SASS? By chance, did you happen to ask pre match if your costume/footwear was acceptable to the Club? I knew a pard from the past that dressed the Mexican peasant costume with sandal of ??? origin/???style/etc. He was kind enough to ask match officials if footwear was acceptable and if not, he would change. He got the instant green light that 'those' sandals were good enough for that club. Common courtesy on both parties avoided any hard feelings. Another case of footwear issue was way back when a pard got with match officials about him forgetting his boots and could he wear his ' very white' tennis shoes (all he had with him), or, should he sit out? He got the green light and I believe it may have been announced at shooters meeting of the exception to the one person. No hassles by anyone at the match. It was handled by all parties in a pleasant manner

Good luck,

Same thing as Chiefs picture. At any rate it's resolved amicably and I should not have vented here. Doing so was unthoughtful by me.

Puh-leese! Posting is the right thing to do... another person may have been intimidated by such an individual and given up on the game, or maybe questioned whether such footwear was legal, but lacked the confidence to ask. Or some potential tyrant has been warned off from making such unfounded accusations in the future.

If we're so thin-skinned that an open discussion of the nuances of the rules makes us uncomfortable, then the world of "PC"-ness (that'd be Public Cowardice) has invaded the fabric of our society to the point of making it unravel.

How does one wearing a barrel wear a gun belt? And, doesn't that make the "no higher than the navel" rule for shot shell belts a bit tough to enforce?

I ain't goin' near that!!!

You guys are talking about these goofy comedy routines as if they are acceptable dress for CAS. I don't believe they are acceptable.

Go back and read page 2 of the Shooters Handbook.

While LQ's Mexican peon outfit may have been acceptable, or not, this other clown stuff just is not. Most likely the politeness of fellow shooters is all that is keeping these people from being run off the range on a rail. This stuff is offensive to a great many people who simply fume about it and quietly keep their mouths shut.....while the clowns thumb their nose at them.

Personally, I think there should be a separate clown posse for those who want to behave in this manner. This stuff is not funny. Go ahead, read page 2 of the SHB. The penalties noted there are for intentional stage procedural violations. However The Spirit of the Game, AS THE RULEBOOK STATES, refers to a number of things, including conduct, period dress and other intended protocols of behavior. Just because rulebook does not mete out penalties for these other violations does not mean the match officials are prohibited from taking appropriate steps to stop it at their range and their matches.

State match and a out of state Shooter had accidentally left her boots behind. All she had to wear was pink mocks. Posse Leader declared the mocks to be authentic Shawnee moccasins and if she received any criticism, refer the complainer to the PL.

You guys are talking about these goofy comedy routines as if they are acceptable dress for CAS. I don't believe they are acceptable.

While LQ's Mexican peon outfit may have been acceptable, or not, this other clown stuff just is not. Most likely the politeness of fellow shooters is all that is keeping these people from being run off the range on a rail. This stuff is offensive to a great many people who simply fume about it and quietly keep their mouths shut.....while the clowns thumb their nose at them.

Personally, I think there should be a separate clown posse for those who want to behave in this manner. This stuff is not funny. Go ahead, read page 2 of the SHB. The penalties noted there are for intentional stage procedural violations. However The Spirit of the Game, AS THE RULEBOOK STATES, refers to a number of things, including conduct, period dress and other intended protocols of behavior. Just because rulebook does not mete out penalties for these other violations does not mean the match officials are prohibited from taking appropriate steps to stop it at their range and their matches.

You sir are in dire need of a FUN transfusion.

I've been told my boot knife was illegal, my 45 loads too hot (MD &TG said they weren't), too many believe I'm serious when I post nonsense like susgesting pre-denting primers for quicker stage times and I'll not get into my confederate gun cart flag.

I politely thank the concerned parties and continue to participate in SASS from my Fantasy perspective.

State match and a out of state Shooter had accidentally left her boots behind. All she had to wear was pink mocks. Posse Leader declared the mocks to be authentic Shawnee moccasins and if she received any criticism, refer the complainer to the PL.

What a great way to handle the (non-)situation! Sounds like PL was reading RO III handbook again.

Good luck, GJ

And maybe a little Valium ......

Wow Cat, you probably shouldn't come down for our 4th of July match, folks wear Stars and Stripes. For our match in March folks wear green, for our October match there's no telling what people will wear and in August when it's hot we can dress in shorts and tennis shoes if we want to, I'm wearing a bikini this year.

I'm wearing a bikini this year.

um....I'z all fer originality in costuming....but I really didn't need ta read THAT so soon after lunch.... :blink::blink::P

I have seen good, seasoned shooters wear what would be classified as period correct long handles with cowboy boots and nothing else except their gun leather. This was done for fun and did not distract at all from the match nor from safety. I thought cowboy action shooting was supposed to be about fun????????

These long handles do not differ much from some of the pre 1900s prison outfits I have seen worn during other cowboy matches. Again, all in fun.

If we lose the ability to have fun in this game, especially as it is in terms of costuming, we'll be in trouble.

so what is the purpose of having rules then if you say it is the match directors final word right or wrong. If there wrong they should be corrected if they can't take it when they are wrong and admit it they shouldn't be a match director

Rarely does the Wire ever hear the 'rest of the story' and be able to form an informed decision on who did what to whom and was it appropriate according to SASS and Club rules.

I wonder if it is a new trend to take your personal conflict between shooters or club to the Wire in the attempt to blackmail the noted club over one incident? There already is written procedures within the SASS rules for appealing a call to the MD and his counsel. The MD final decision (good/bad/other-wise, should be final and protester should accept it for that match and move on. If the decision is so bad, then the final act the shooter has is,,,, to avoid future clubs functions, or that person. If hurt party is not willing to go through the protest procedure, then I guess the case is not important enough to them and why should other people take concern?

Now, if person needs rule clarification or understanding of rule from the Wire pards, then ask the question, show pictures of supposed illegal item and ,,,, leave out the clubs name, location, and personal information.

Just a thought

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, June 13, 2016 - Personal attack.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, June 13, 2016 - Personal attack.

Who gives a rat's 4th point of contact what you think the proper attire should be? I don't think anyone should be allowed to use a 97 because that doesn't look cowboy to me. I don't think anyone should be allowed to shoot Rugers in classic cowboy since they are no different than a Henry big boy, which is not allowed. So what? It doesn't matter what I think. It only matters what the rules of the game are. I have seen you post before to people to leave the game if they don't like it, but stop trying to change it. Well maybe you should take your own advice and leave the game rather than tell other people how to dress. I doubt very many people will miss you. The rest of us will be having fun playing this game.

Cat,

I'd agree w/ya if we were talking about a plastic barrel, but a big ol' 42 gallon, wood stave, iron hoop barrel, held up with hemp rope 'spenders, might not be proper late 18th century Edwardian parlor attire, but then neither would denim britches, a twill shirt, wool vest, chaps, gun belt and boots w/horse dung stuck in the stitchin'!

This ain't that other outfit... remember we're the ones what've had an article in the WSJ with a fellar ridin' a broomstick horse!

WSJarticle.jpg

so what is the purpose of having rules then if you say it is the match directors final word right or wrong. If there wrong they should be corrected if they can't take it when they are wrong and admit it they shouldn't be a match director

Rarely does the Wire ever hear the 'rest of the story' and be able to form an informed decision on who did what to whom and was it appropriate according to SASS and Club rules.

I wonder if it is a new trend to take your personal conflict between shooters or club to the Wire in the attempt to blackmail the noted club over one incident? There already is written procedures within the SASS rules for appealing a call to the MD and his counsel. The MD final decision (good/bad/other-wise, should be final and protester should accept it for that match and move on. If the decision is so bad, then the final act the shooter has is,,,, to avoid future clubs functions, or that person. If hurt party is not willing to go through the protest procedure, then I guess the case is not important enough to them and why should other people take concern?

Now, if person needs rule clarification or understanding of rule from the Wire pards, then ask the question, show pictures of supposed illegal item and ,,,, leave out the clubs name, location, and personal information.

Just a thought

Please review ROII-pg13-15-Appeals.

This is what happens at state and above and pretty much, but not quite as formal at monthlies. The procedure, rule review, etc is usually way more involved that just the MD, even at small monthlies

That may be, pard and I'll further suggest to you that I get my fun without infringing on the rights of my fellow shooters and their fun experiences because I have some bizarre, narcissistic need to be noticed at the expense of others, by showing up in some ridicous cartoon clown suit. This includes off-track forays into other countries' garb and fantasy suits.

But you should do what you think is best.

My suggestion is that we should be, to the limits of our resources, attired in period correct clothing and NOT costumes......especially clown costumes. Long underwear with a big rubber ass inside it, huh? (Actually, that just may be correct....two times!) Fine example for kids to see. That is not fun and it's not funny.

Probably best at this point for me to stop......

Not discrimination at all LQ. Your comment is really the fall-back position of many, who know what the protocols (rules) are and believe that they still can do whatever they want and just categorically refuse to accept the idea that those rules actually apply to them, too. They figure that all they have to do is drop the appropriate bomb (race, discrimination, orientation, "birther," gun nut, etc.) and their detractors or targets will be bullied into submission and effectively neutralized. Does that sound familiar?

Anyway I said nothing against your footwear situation, although I could....but I wasn't there and you're holding onto the details, which really is rather odd and really uncool, too. Why're you doing that? You raised interest and support for your "plight," then shut it down quickly without giving the details.

Sarcarism at it's best. I laughed for 5 minutes. Do we have another budding attire sheriff in the making?

Just kidding around ! ****

It was resolved amicably, It was meant as a safety viewpoint, which I do understand.

More details would involve perceptions, opinions, and attitudes - which are not always valid. I don't want to start a fire here.

As far as I'm concerned, it's back to fun and games ! Case closed !

I have seen good, seasoned shooters wear what would be classified as period correct long handles with cowboy boots and nothing else except their gun leather. This was done for fun and did not distract at all from the match nor from safety. I thought cowboy action shooting was supposed to be about fun????????

These long handles do not differ much from some of the pre 1900s prison outfits I have seen worn during other cowboy matches. Again, all in fun.

If we lose the ability to have fun in this game, especially as it is in terms of costuming, we'll be in trouble.

I agree! There's a big difference between someone creatively dressing for the period, but as something other than a cowboy (like the OP) and someone ignoring the rules and underdressing or wearing prohibited items. The first instance is within the rules and can be entertaining, the second should be addressed by a match official.

Rules are great, and to the extent we can we should follow them, but a little common sense can go a long way. Not long ago one of our regular shooters who always dresses appropriately left his hat on his trailer then drove to the match. The hat departed somewhere between home and the match. He told me about it and said he would buy a new hat from a vendor at the match. Unfortunately on that day the vendor didn't bring any hats. The shooter in question, who is follicly challenged, decided to shoot bareheaded in the Georgia summer sun. Not a good idea. I told him to wear his ball cap and not worry about it. The rules don't allow for that, but in my judgement it was the cowboy way.

I agree! There's a big difference between someone creatively dressing for the period, but as something other than a cowboy (like the OP) and someone ignoring the rules and underdressing or wearing prohibited items. The first instance is within the rules and can be entertaining, the second should be addressed by a match official.

Rules are great, and to the extent we can we should follow them, but a little common sense can go a long way. Not long ago one of our regular shooters who always dresses appropriately left his hat on his trailer then drove to the match. The hat departed somewhere between home and the match. He told me about it and said he would buy a new hat from a vendor at the match. Unfortunately on that day the vendor didn't bring any hats. The shooter in question, who is follicly challenged, decided to shoot bareheaded in the Georgia summer sun. Not a good idea. I told him to wear his ball cap and not worry about it. The rules don't allow for that, but in my judgement it was the cowboy way.

As long as the ball cap was not crimson red in color and have an A on it I agree! ;)

Kajun

Seltzer bottles and whuppy cushions all around. Oh that's right there were no clowns or circus's in the "Cowboy" days. Whatever that is.

Assumptions, implied rational, and my way of doing things seem to be the norm for posts like this. Who's right? The shooter and the MD, RO or whomever is in charge that day. It sure isn't us. But as always a clear understanding of the rules and the MD's understanding of what is safe or not seemed to be in conflict, I am assuming.

Ike

Oh that's right there were no clowns or circus's in the "Cowboy" days. Whatever that is.

I believe Barnum & Bailey was started in 1881.

Seltzer bottles and whuppy cushions all around. Oh that's right there were no clowns or circus's in the "Cowboy" days. Whatever that is.

Assumptions, implied rational, and my way of doing things seem to be the norm for posts like this. Who's right? The shooter and the MD, RO or whomever is in charge that day. It sure isn't us. But as always a clear understanding of the rules and the MD's understanding of what is safe or not seemed to be in conflict, I am assuming.

Ike

Gee I thought Clowns had been around since the middle ages. Court Jesters were there to keep audiences in laughter. If I recall my history correctly the middle ages were even before cowboys.

What about the Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. I believe that was in the 1870's

Archived