SASS Wire Forum

Spirit of the Game vs Costume Police ?

LQ Jones

Had an experience at a monthly today. I was dressed as a Mexican peasant and was confronted over wearing traditional huaraches. Mind you, it's 90 something in the shade. I wouldn't fault anybody for trying to stay cool.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the only place where footwear is specifically outlined is for classic cowboy and B-movie Western categories. Otherwise, no athletic shoes or combat boots.

To me, the Spirit of the Game is about having fun safely, and getting others interested - not running people off with rules and policies. Teaching and coaching rather than confronting. At least it was that way in the 90s when I joined.

El Q Jones 27949

Are ya sure they weren't joshin' ya? What period correct tire tread on those huarraches? ;):P:D

Just proves there are still folks in high places that do not understand the rules. Many times these dress up idiots try to inforce what they want the rules to be. If you can shoot barefoot, which you can, except CC and BW and you can wear any shoe that looks remotely close to period correct what were they thinking?

What Santa Fe River Stan said (I actually agree with him on something...whooda thunk :D )

I know a few of the good folks at Fort White and I'm surprised that would happen there. I've seen someone dressed in an Indian outfit and they shot barefooted.

Kajun

Nothing wrong the peasant outfit :wacko: , plan to do one fer meself. And boots are only required in the two costume categories ;) . Shoes, sandals, barefoot...all perfectly legal....I wear shoes, usually my Red Wing oxfords, for dress up I have a pair of captoes and black oxfords. Hope you get things straight....Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

SOG has nothing to do with dress "violations." Or, any other such errors, if that's what this actually was. It is assessed along the lines of willful violations of stage procedure to gain a competitive edge. The comment likely, we hope, started as a joke, then got foolish from there.

In this area, you are likely to see a shooter in overalls, no shirt, no shoes and a tophat. There is another shooter who has worn longjohns with a big rubber butt (think Kardashians). Another shoiter has worn longjohns, a barrel with suspenders and no shoes.

I thought SOG was for on-the-clock intentional failure to follow the game.

There was a guy and his son who used to always shot barefoot. Shot with him from New Hampshire all the way down to Maryland numerous times. They never got hassled.

I find that self-appointed costume police are most active at local matches. I've never been hassled at major matches. I stopped shooting at one club for six months due to one zealous individual confronting shooters with his personal understanding of costume rules. (My confrontation was over footgear too.)

In this area, you are likely to see a shooter in overalls, no shirt, no shoes and a tophat. There is another shooter who has worn longjohns with a big rubber butt (think Kardashians). Another shoiter has worn longjohns, a barrel with suspenders and no shoes.

I thought SOG was for on-the-clock intentional failure to follow the game.

There is spirit of the game that refers to the spirit of the game ie the spirit of cowboy action shooting. And then there is the spirit of the game violation penalty.

Deadwood Jake from the Cowford Regulators dressed the same way during the hot season. Nobody questioned him!

It's been resolved.

Hopefully, to your satisfaction!!

It's been resolved.

Hopefully, to your satisfaction!!

+1!

I suspect there is more to this story than what appears on this thread.

There always is! Here you only know what the poster wants you to know. These posts always bring to mind the line made famous by Paul Harvey who always said........ "And now you know the rest of the story"

There always is! Here you only know what the poster wants you to know. These posts always bring to mind the line made famous by Paul Harvey who always said........ "And now you know the rest of the story"

Rarely does the Wire ever hear the 'rest of the story' and be able to form an informed decision on who did what to whom and was it appropriate according to SASS and Club rules.

I wonder if it is a new trend to take your personal conflict between shooters or club to the Wire in the attempt to blackmail the noted club over one incident? There already is written procedures within the SASS rules for appealing a call to the MD and his counsel. The MD final decision (good/bad/other-wise, should be final and protester should accept it for that match and move on. If the decision is so bad, then the final act the shooter has is,,,, to avoid future clubs functions, or that person. If hurt party is not willing to go through the protest procedure, then I guess the case is not important enough to them and why should other people take concern?

Now, if person needs rule clarification or understanding of rule from the Wire pards, then ask the question, show pictures of supposed illegal item and ,,,, leave out the clubs name, location, and personal information.

Just a thought

I made a mistake mentioning the club, you're correct on that. I apologize.

But the rest of the story is nothing but attitudes, opinions, and perceptions which don't belong here. No blackmail - rules are rules, for the shooter as much as for the club.

If you don't know the rules, don't try and enforce them. When you do,enforce them fairly and equally. ROA.

Archived