SASS Wire Forum

Sniping in the snow

Utah Bob #35998

Alas I blew the steel off the frame after the 2nd clip. And I don't have a path plowed down to the 100 yd line yet. It's down hill and a bit slippery. :D:(

3R0MQF.jpg

JqlWGj.jpg

NbgBI6.jpg

JIlFqy.jpg

vhwsgm.jpg

How loud is it to shoot out a window like that? Does the majority of the noise wind up outside the house because it comes out the barrel?

I'm not in the house. The Mem sahib would take a dim view of that. The man cave is about 150 feet from the main house. I don't know how loud it is.I could do it without ear protection...but I don't think I will. :D

I think it's our way of dealing with cabin fever. And a heck of a lot of fun! :D

My father, in an attempt to eliminate town dogs chasing our cows, fired my 30-06 Remington 742 semi auto with the 18" barrel out the passenger side window of his pickup truck while he sat in the drivers seat. This means the end of the barrel was about 8" inside of the pickup cab.

He was not a "gun person" and was rather miffed that I had not warned him.

Thanks Bob.

I do similar 'exercise' from my kitchen window, mostly with a .22 or .22 CB caps. My property has been nationally recognized as a 'No Fly Zone' for starlings and violation of the 'Zone' can often prove terminal.

On occasion, when I get a 'Mob Violation' of the Zone, I break out the Mossberg 930 and reap havoc, whether they be on the ground or in the trees.

..........Widder

Reminds me of a story my buddy told me of being home in Eastern Washington taking a bead on an elk out through his kitchen window. Just before he fired his Mom walked in and made him "go outside" so he took it from the back porch. Remember Rooster's landlord Chin Lee says: "Outside is place for shooting!"

Seamus

Did you get the sniper, Bob?

I have met the sniper. And he is me. ;)

UB, you should get an award for having absolutely the coolest Man Cave! :D

Well, certainly one of the noisiest! ;)

UB... I don't know exactly what to say except awesome! Just awesome!

What year is the Garand? I have a Springfield that looked to have been shot very little except by the testers.... That is until I got it. They didn't make Garands to sit in a safe! :) It's was made in '54

DSC_0734_zpsc96163f0.jpg

UB... I don't know exactly what to say except awesome! Just awesome!

What year is the Garand? I have a Springfield that looked to have been shot very little except by the testers.... That is until I got it. They didn't make Garands to sit in a safe! :) It's was made in '54DSC_0734_zpsc96163f0.jpg

Mine is also a '54. HRA. Got it from CMP.

I am single. My morning begins with rounds from my Les Baer .45ACP, my Ruger .45 Colts and my carry revolver's .44 Specials out of my back door. My goodness, how I love Idaho!!! :D

Well I managed to get a path cleared down to the 100yd targets and re-set the steel. Wasn't sure if I'd make it back up the hill or have to leave Pacman down there till spring but we made it okay. Now to shovel snow off the roof of the wife's pottery shed.
Could be worse. I could be in DC. ;)

ZPCzWb.jpg

Now the question is....do you double-dog dare me??

97cJpm.jpg

Well I managed to get a path cleared down to the 100yd targets and re-set the steel. Wasn't sure if I'd make it back up the hill or have to leave Pacman down there till spring but we made it okay. Now to shovel snow off the roof of the wife's pottery shed.

Could be worse. I could be in DC. ;)

ZPCzWb.jpg

I guess you didn't hit a rock and shear the power shaft/auger shear pin. Good job.

I guess you didn't hit a rock and shear the power shaft/auger shear pin. Good job.

No it's just dirt all the way down. I cleaned up any big surface rocks years ago. I may have flung some brass and the occasional arrowhead though. :D

And I keep a bucket of shear pins handy. ;)

Archived