SASS Wire Forum

What would you chose?

Alpo

IF you were going to carry, while out and about, a rifle and pistol chambered for the same round, what would you chose?

This does not have to be cowboy guns. You don't have to have them already - it can be a "I really want these"-type thing.

Now, I know there are those that won't do this. They are of the opinion, "If I'm going to carry a rifle, I'm going to carry a RIFLE - 06, 30/30, 223, whatever".

But for them that would, what would you pick?

Me - it would be two I already have. A Navy Arms-marked stainless Rossi 92 20" SRC (that's paid a visit to Port Arthur, Texas) and a S&W 544, TWT, 5" N-frame. 44/40.

44 Mag.

I would have to agree. The .44 Magnum is chambered in a variety of single- and double-action revolvers, as well as several rifles. It is capable of being loaded down to very manageable recoil levels, or loaded up to game-taking levels. It is certainly true that there are better long range (200 yds plus) cartridges for rifles, but if you are going to pack dual-service guns, then .44 Mangle-em is certainly my choice.

1911 annd a Thompson. 45.

I meant "which guns". Not just "44 magnum", but WHICH 44 magnums?

And Tom - the 1927 semi-auto carbine, or a real chopper? And if so, which - 21, 28, M1 or M1A?

I meant "which guns". Not just "44 magnum", but WHICH 44 magnums?

And Tom - the 1927 semi-auto carbine, or a real chopper? And if so, which - 21, 28, M1 or M1A?

M-1.

The 21 and 28 guns have a lot of romance, and the A1 has terrible sights and a firing pin machined into the bolt face. The M-1 has all the good stuff and the one I carried in 'Nam was completely reliable, more accurate than I'd been led to believe, and a hoot to shoot.

Modern eight round mags for the 1911 and 30 round sticks for the M-1 Tommy gun.

Wilson combat pistol chambered in .460 Rowland ......Johny Rowland makes a rifle version platform that fires his 460 cartridge as well but I dont remember what its called..... I would pack those as my 2 carry guns! Or a Glock 20 chambered in the 10mm round and whatever if it even exist in rifle platform (anyone know if there is a rifle chambered in 10mm?) 10mm and 460 rowland are two bad ass rounds!!

Alpo, sorry, yes the 1927 semi auto, M1

M-1.

The 21 and 28 guns have a lot of romance, and the A1 has terrible sights and a firing pin machined into the bolt face. The M-1 has all the good stuff and the one I carried in 'Nam was completely reliable, more accurate than I'd been led to believe, and a hoot to shoot.

Modern eight round mags for the 1911 and 30 round sticks for the M-1 Tommy gun.

Gotta' go with 4T on this one, 'ceptin' I'll keep my Para double stacker!! 14 in the pistol mag, and bigger mags available upon request. Lots and lots of bad guy repellant!!

While I would love to carry my Colt in .44-40 and my Winchester, practically it would be my S&W M&P in 9mm and a High Point carbine in 9mm!

H&K USP 45 and a Kriss Vector SBR with a suppressor (effectively the same overall length as the same gun in carbine format).

Would have specified the Thompson for the rifle, but own one. That sucker is 13 pounds without ammo, which is really way heavy to carry around. The Kriss is a svelte 6 pounds, in comparison.

I have that set up. A Super Black Hawk Hunter Bisley in 41 Mag and a Marlin 1894FG. The 260gr wide nose flat point over a bunch of W296 will get your attention out of the Marlin. Within 200 yards, anything walking in North America.

You don't say why I'm carrying them, so it's hard to say. While I'd lean towards something in 44 mag for hunting type purposes, in order to come up with a pair for general purpose I first need to find someone who makes 12 gauge pistols.

Likea dis?

Mississippi10.jpg

My Marlin camp carbine in 45 and a 1911.

or a marlin 1895 cowboy in 45-70 and a BFR in 45-70

Wondered if anyone would take a "rifle-caliber pistol" instead of a "pistol-caliber rifle".

Hmmm... My cowboy guns are the obvious choice. If not them my Beretta M9 and a CX4 Storm with insert to accept M9/92 magazines. Also, a boatload of magazines and a couple of uplula loaders. I might wear one out.

a rifle and pistol chambered for the same round

Sorry, missed that part, how about a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine (the sound and muzzle blast will take care of most problems) and again my USGI M-2 carbine in .30 carbine.

Light duty would be a new Ruger Redhawk .45A in .45 Colt and .45 ACP, plus Uberti 1873 in .45 Colt.

Heavy duty (like being where critters think man is tasty) - a S&W Model 500 in .50 Magnum and a Big Horn Model 1889 in the same caliber. The cartridge has similar ballistics to a .50-90 from the rifle.

Hmmm... My cowboy guns are the obvious choice. If not them my Beretta M9 and a CX4 Storm with insert to accept M9/92 magazines. Also, a boatload of magazines and a couple of uplula loaders. I might wear one out.

Doc, we have similar reactions. My CX4 (which I love) is .45ACP, using Cougar mags. Pair that with a 1911, and I'm good to go. Sure wish we could buy Beretta PX4 pistols here - then I could use the same mags for my pistol and carbine.

LL

Archived