SASS Wire Forum

AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHH! The 9th Circuit strikes again!

Utah Bob #35998

Amazing. Just amazing...

And we shouldn't be amazed at their stupid rulings....but we continue to be.

To so many of us it is so very sad the direction this country is headed. So Sad!

Saw the ruling and started wondering, how does this affect Stolen Valor laws? I guess it's okay to simply wear them as long as you don't try to profit from them, does that sound about right?

Correct. Fraud is the determining factor. If you get donations, services, benefits or other material gain because of your false claim of being awarded medals, then you can be prosecuted.

Maybe some of us oughta start pretending to be President and start issuing Executive Orders as part of our Free Speech right.

Maybe dress up like a Secret Service Agent during a Pres. visit and see how much they like that.

Maybe we oughta put on a robe and start pretending to be part of a judicial group and start interpreting laws as part of our right to Free Speech.

..........Widder

I haven't read the decision, but I don't see how it's wrong. The US Supreme Ct invalidated certain portions of the law on constitutional grounds, and the Congress in 2013 removed criminal penalties. (This guy's conviction was 2007, apparently.)

The question isn't one of being a low-life liar, it's whether or not you can go to prison for being one, where no fraudulent gains are involved.

What's the difference between this and a man getting fake breasts, lip injections and a woman's name and then winning "woman of the year"? Society today is all about role playing not reality. As long as your feelings are not hurt.

"sarcasm"

Sounds like the Court's people need a A$$ kicking as bad as the one wearing them.

I haven't read the decision, but I don't see how it's wrong. The US Supreme Ct invalidated certain portions of the law on constitutional grounds, and the Congress in 2013 removed criminal penalties. (This guy's conviction was 2007, apparently.)

The question isn't one of being a low-life liar, it's whether or not you can go to prison for being one, where no fraudulent gains are involved.

Didn't say it wasn't Legal. It is. I knew the original Stolen Valor act wouldn't fly as is and I said so at the time.

But it's damn sure WRONG.

LEGAL and MORAL are not always the same.

Exactly.

I think the guy should be able to wear the medals just like people should be free to wear costumes.

I'm for more freedom even if I disagree with it. I think the court did the right thing.

I also think we have free speech to publicly alert everyone that the guy didn't earn the medals he's wearing. Everyone else should be ale to point out he's a fraud as part of our free speech.

I disagree with the guy wearing it. But do agree with the freedom to wear it. To me more freedom is better.

I guess that's the cool thing about this nation and freedom of speech. We can all have different opinions about the court's decision as well as disagreeing with the guy wearing the non-earned medals.

I'm all for Freedom of Speech and a fervent Constitutionalist; but this doesn't fit the Bill of Rights.

Speaking your mind, right or wrong is one thing.

Wearing Medals you didn't earn is an affront to those that earned them.

Military Awards are not a form of speech or expression.

They are displays of Achievement and Experience.

I find these frauds beneath contempt.

Just Remember this.....

The 9th Circus is the most overturned court in the country.

As far as the 9th Circus covering Arizona, it's something we've been resenting since 1920.

What if the guy (or gal) is wearing a Medal of Honor? I thought there were/are specific laws about that.

Angus

It is illegal to make, buy or sell a Medal of Honor. It is not illegal to wear one.

I think the guy should be able to wear the medals just like people should be free to wear costumes.

I'm for more freedom even if I disagree with it. I think the court did the right thing.

I also think we have free speech to publicly alert everyone that the guy didn't earn the medals he's wearing. Everyone else should be ale to point out he's a fraud as part of our free speech.

I disagree with the guy wearing it. But do agree with the freedom to wear it. To me more freedom is better.

I guess that's the cool thing about this nation and freedom of speech. We can all have different opinions about the court's decision as well as disagreeing with the guy wearing the non-earned medals.

I disagree. I maintain that this is not a freedom of speech issue at all. MIlioray medals are not costume items. They are earned through duty, honor and sacrifice. Those who fraudulantly wear them are an affront to the members of the military, their and the government they serve.

I disagree. I maintain that this is not a freedom of speech issue at all. MIlioray medals are not costume items. They are earned through duty, honor and sacrifice. Those who fraudulantly wear them are an affront to the members of the military, their and the government they serve.

I actually agree with you that it is an affront. My feelings toward the low-life doing this are probably very similar to yours. I hate that he does it, and do think it's an insult to servicemen who have legitimately earned them. I just also hate the government being able to place further restrictions on the population.

We may not quite see to eye on the legal specifics. But I think we do both agree that it is wrong for anyone to wear medals they didn't earn

I actually agree with you that it is an affront. My feelings toward the low-life doing this are probably very similar to yours. I hate that he does it, and do think it's an insult to servicemen who have legitimately earned them. I just also hate the government being able to place further restrictions on the population.

We may not quite see to eye on the legal specifics. But I think we do both agree that it is wrong for anyone to wear medals they didn't earn

Not all restrictions are bad.

I wonder how many members of the Court served or lost a loved one in combat?

The website for the 9th Circuit contains bios for the 44 presently serving judges. Of the 9 most senior judges, 7 served in the military, representing all 4 branches. I don't think you can read any prejudice or lack of understanding into this decision. (And I don't think that you can logically argue that one must be a vet in order to be qualified to participate in making this decision.)

LL

Archived