SASS Wire Forum

Bone Tomahawk

I always go to the opening movies on Friday and saw one playing at one theatre I had never heard of. Bone Tomahawk. A western with Kurt Russell. At first I thought it was the new Quetin Tarrantino movie. Nope, something different. I figured it wouldn't be around long so I went first thing Friday. It has got to be one of the strangest westerns I have ever seen. It is very well done with dialog like that if True Grit. I.e., very prosaic with no contractions. Very well done. BUT VERY SLOWWWWWWW. At least up until the last half-hour! Then it turns into a horror movie of the slice and dice type. A lot of people like to comment about the correctness of the firearms used. Depending on the story I always find that interesting, but irrelevant. For those that put a premium on those sort of things, I think there was one Colt in the movie. Everything else were schofields or other old S&Ws. One main character was using a Merwin & Hubert. He even reloaded it in one scene.

Slight spoiler alert. The movie was full of geezers as I guess we are the only ones that watch most westerns. After the movie in the bathroom I heard the following: "that was different. Never seen a man cut in half lengthwise before."

Thanks for the info Larsen! It's on cable here and we're going to watch it this evening. Looks interesting from the preview.

CBG

It's on cable already???? What cable co. do you have? I thought this was opening in theaters this week! :wacko:

It's on Directv too. A lot of studios are releasing films this way now.

The release date of the dvd is Dec 29! I thought cable and other tv sources got 'em right after the dvd is released. This just opened in theaters yesterday!

It costs $6.99 on Direct TV! It's also available on Time Warner! I'm surprised!

The release date of the dvd is Dec 29! I thought cable and other tv sources got 'em right after the dvd is released. This just opened in theaters yesterday!

It costs $6.99 on Direct TV! It's also available on Time Warner! I'm surprised!

With fewer and fewer moviegoers these days this is probably the way things will go. I can't remember the last time I went to a theater. Got a bigass tv here, booze and popcorn, and I don't have to get dressed up. :D

With fewer and fewer moviegoers these days this is probably the way things will go. I can't remember the last time I went to a theater. Got a bigass tv here, booze and popcorn, and I don't have to get dressed up. :D

You forgot that you can pause the movie to refill your drink, and relieve yourself of the previous one. ;)

I still like going to the movies, even though it's more comfortable at home, there's just something exciting about going to a movie theatre! Call me ol' fashioned then! I like to go in the afternoon when there's only a few people there. I sneak in a bottle of water and a bag of M&M's! :lol:

Larsen,

DirecTV sez:

--- Comedy --- "Four men try to rescue a group of people from a band of cannibals."

Are we talking about the same movie you saw?

It's on cable already???? What cable co. do you have? I thought this was opening in theaters this week! :wacko:

We have Charter out here. The movie was advertised as a "See this movie before it appears in theaters."

Interesting, but as Larsen said it is slow up until the last 30 minutes. I'd say overall it's worth watching.

CBG

Larsen,

DirecTV sez:

--- Comedy --- "Four men try to rescue a group of people from a band of cannibals."

Same movie. There were some funny lines, but I wouldn't call it a comedy.

• 2 months later...

I really liked it and thought it felt like a Western written by Robert E. Howard (pulp writer of Conan, etc). The violence in the cave was a little too over the top and un-welcome and un-necessary but was a small price to pay for an awesome story and great characters.

I still like going to the movies, even though it's more comfortable at home, there's just something exciting about going to a movie theatre! Call me ol' fashioned then! I like to go in the afternoon when there's only a few people there. I sneak in a bottle of water and a bag of M&M's! :lol:

Best when ya sprinkle them M&M's into your popcorn. Definitely enhances both! ^_^

Sadly, our local mega-theater snack bars stopped selling M&M's. But Reese's Pieces is a darned good substitute... possibly even better~! :lol:

Larsen,

DirecTV sez:

Cannibals have a band?

Yes, they do.

Apparently they are good looking and youthful and enjoy 80's music. (look up Fine Young Cannibals)

Spoiler alert.

They're not really cannibals.

Did Dahmer have a band back in the day?

Story sounds a bit dark. Kind of like The Missing? And The Missing was a very good movie in my view.

They had an episode of Hugh Glass on Death Valley Days the other day. Interesting to say the least!

I always go to the opening movies on Friday and saw one playing at one theatre I had never heard of. Bone Tomahawk. A western with Kurt Russell. At first I thought it was the new Quetin Tarrantino movie. Nope, something different. I figured it wouldn't be around long so I went first thing Friday. It has got to be one of the strangest westerns I have ever seen. It is very well done with dialog like that if True Grit. I.e., very prosaic with no contractions. Very well done. BUT VERY SLOWWWWWWW. At least up until the last half-hour! Then it turns into a horror movie of the slice and dice type. A lot of people like to comment about the correctness of the firearms used. Depending on the story I always find that interesting, but irrelevant. For those that put a premium on those sort of things, I think there was one Colt in the movie. Everything else were schofields or other old S&Ws. One main character was using a Merwin & Hubert. He even reloaded it in one scene.

Slight spoiler alert. The movie was full of geezers as I guess we are the only ones that watch most westerns. After the movie in the bathroom I heard the following: "that was different. Never seen a man cut in half lengthwise before."

As the Dr says in one of the early scenes of Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - "This was a particularly bad case of someone being cut in half"

We went the Redbox route too, as we usually do. I liked it, wife didn't. She said it was like an old west version of The Hills Have Eyes.

Well, it was a weird one that's fer sure! Not bad though, I liked it but it's not going on my top 40!!! :lol:

Its better than the Quinton movie, still a grindhouse. Don't watch it by yourself while having pistols and medication in the house.

So after watching 4 football games today I took a break and went on Amazon prime and watched Bone Tamohawk....definitely a western movie, a bit dark but turned out pretty good. I'm glad I did not spend my money to take my wife and make it a date night but I did enjoy watching it at home. If you like dark westerns this one will fill the bill.

Kajun

Archived