SASS Wire Forum

Removing Decades of Tobacco Grime

Dusty Morningwood

I just got an antique long rifle that was over a mantel at a social club for decades. The wood and metal are darkly coated with the residue from decades of tobacco smoke and fireplace soot. Makes the whole thing kind of "tacky" to the touch. What is a good, mild cleaner that can be used to remove this without harming wood? Metal I can clean.

I used to work on TVs, and they'd end up the same way in a smoker's house. (Plus some homes in the area were heated with coal burned in a fireplace, and the local coal had a lot of sulfur in it. That stuff was corrosive.) I used Windex to clean the screen, controls, and the outside of the cabinet and regularly got compliments on how bright the picture was after I'd worked on it.

However... if the wood on that rifle has a finish you care about, I don't recommend Windex. In fact, most things I can think of that remove smoke & tar can also be used as a furniture stripper.

Mineral spirits

I second that.

Mineral Spirits will also cut many of the old finishes that were applied to antique Furniture and gunstocks. Murphy's Oil Soap is your best bet. Most other products contain chemicals that will act as a stripper.

Coffinmaker

I use something called Goof Off on stuff like that and it works very well.

Kroil has worked for me on metal, rubbed with bronze wool. Takes off (or at least mellows) any patina or freckling, too, while leaving the blue.

Mineral spirits on the wood.

Good luck, GJ

Awesome, found at dollar general and such,,,, dilute with water 1 to 4 parts water,,, lifts tobacco residue right off without scrubbing...

Mineral Spirits will also cut many of the old finishes that were applied to antique Furniture and gunstocks. Murphy's Oil Soap is your best bet. Most other products contain chemicals that will act as a stripper.

Coffinmaker

+1 Just used Murphy's oil on an old desk (1920's) and it came out quite well...came from a lifelong smokers house. Will take a number of applications but worth the effort in the end.

Howdy,

Whatever you decide to use try removing a little at a time.

I would use micro fiber cloth gently wash wipe dry.

Maybe two or three cloths.

And when I got down to the wood with most of the stuff off

I would switch to Scotts Liquid Gold.

Its a pretty good furniture cleaner protector.

Go slow if the piece is worth it.

Best

CR

Howdy,

Too curious for words.....;)

Before and after pix with some details on the cleaning method would be nice.

Ive cleaned up some old guns, Its a bit of an adventure.

A lot of things can disappear if you are patient and have reasonable goals.

Best

CR

Use peanut butter!! Smear it on by hand, let it incubate a few hours and then wipe off. May need to repeat. And it smells good too, unless you're allergic to peanuts. (then use almond butter!)

My mother in law taught me this years ago to clean sticky/tacky residues on furniture but I have used on rubber coatings and painted surfaces that I wanted to save.

DD

Years ago I worked as a window washer, and the inside of bar-room windows would be think with the nicotine stains. Our cleaner of choice was a small amount of laundry detergent (the brand wasn't critical, but we used Purex because it was inexpensive) and water. Our proportion was about two tablespoons of detergent to one five-gallon bucket of water.

I doubt that would be harmful to any old finishes, and I know from experience that it will essentially "melt" nicotine stains. Rub it on, let it set for 30 seconds, rinse it off. Dry and oil.

Hi Dusty,

I've refinished and cleaned up a variety of old furniture. It was a hobby until I ran out of room...

I would be very careful with anything that has a water base unless you wouldn't mind refinishing it. The thicker the original finish, the less likely it is to be damaged by a water-based product. Also, never let a water-based product sit for any length of time. Wipe on, wipe off, and repeat rather trying to get all of the muck off with one application. Use lots of clean rags.

If it has to be refinished, you may need to restain dark finishes. Wipe on, wipe off, so it won't get too dark. Use the finest steel wool and real lacquer (not polyurethane or shellac). Use steel wool between coats. Do not allow the finish to be too glossy; that will detract from the authenticity of the finish. I had one piece come out too shiny once. I just rubbed it lightly with steel wool to tone down the shine.

Regards,

Allie

PS You will probably get as many different methods as posts. ;)

Spray the metal with amsoil mp and put in a old silicon gun sock. Spray libery daily until the metal is clean. For the wood I'm lost.matbe the Amish wood cleaner advertised on TV.

Archived