SASS Wire Forum

Best Rum?

I have a friend in Ukraine who asked me to bring some rum. I can bring one liter and I don't want to get into a situation where I must bribe customs officials (a story for another time :blink: ).

Rum is way cheaper than many other liquors. Can I get some recommendations?

Thanks.

Sorry, I've pretty much always used it as a mixer and my concerns were light vs dark as regards to its altering the taste of the cocktail overall. I'd choose a nice dark Jamaican example that presents well. I would not get a super high proof like Bacardi 151, which I'm not even certain is sold here anymore.

At Keflavik International Airport, I bought some Cuban rum that was pretty darn good. Of course a good part of the enjoyment was knowing it was forbidden fruit. Brugal is a great rum. I also enjoy the 18 year old Don Pancho Origenes.

You need to bring back some Serbian plum brandy from your visit. It is my favorite and is impossible to find in the US. If there is anyway possible, I recommend you snag a bottle

Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum MMMmmmmmmm Gooooood !

I've had some really smooth Rum from Guyana. Royal Extra Mature Demerara is a dark rum and aged 10 years before botteling. El Dorado Superior Demerara Rum is another dark rum, this one aged 12 years before botteling. Both are 40% alcahol rated, (80 proof).

There is no such thing as the best Rum, Scotch, Vodka, Wine etc etc etc.

It's all depending on the preference of the drinker.

Personally I can't stand "spiced " rum.

Or peppermint schnapps or most other flavored liquor.

You need to ask the feller if he's ever tasted rum. If not get the cheapest you can find. ;)

My price to carry a bottle of rum to Ukraine would be high right now. Very, very high. ;)

I gotta throw in with the I don't like spiced rum bunch, Black Seal is pretty good but my Favorite is Bacardi Ron Solera, Distilled in Mexico, Deep dark and very flavorful.

Willy B'

The "spiced" rums are basically low end spirits, flavored with other things.

Get your friend a decent, not overwhelmingly great, Jamaican example. A light rum is really a mixer in my view. A dark rum is a drinking rum and if it is used as a mixer, imparts the flavor of the spirit to the drink. A couple of decent ones have been noted.

After watching Major Rogers (Spencer Tracy) make some hot buttered rum to cure his indian scout's hangover in Northwest Passage, I decided to try it last winter.

Hooo Haa! :)

You need to bring back some Serbian plum brandy from your visit. It is my favorite and is impossible to find in the US. If there is anyway possible, I recommend you snag a bottle

Slivovitz. Never had any trouble at all finding it here. I have a bottle on the shelf right now that one of my kids got me for Christmas. 100 proof made in Serbia.

Seriously, there is a world of difference between What is going on in Eastern Ukraine and elsewhere.

But, almost every flight in and out of Kiev, British, French, German, Swiss, is co-branded and actually being flown by Ukraine International Airlines. Makes it horrible to check in for a flight.

I used to drink Bacardi rum and coke and was told by a very pretty barmaid that Ronrico rum was the same as Bacardi sold under a different name and cheaper! ;) Rye

Howdy,

Seagrams makes or did make a very nice rum.

It came in two or three flavors and plain.

However the plain wasn't ezzactly plain, it had just the slightest smokey flavor.

And I mean slight.

I haven't seen it for a while but it could be available in your stores.

And Im told those Navy rums above are very good, never had the pleasure.

Best

CR

Y'all can have it all! Back in 79 we were working on St. Croix (imagine that!) and could buy cheap, I mean Cheap! Cruzan rum for 2 bucks a bottle at H.E.B. I had maybe one bottle too many and haven't touched it since. Just the smell....bleah!

Archived