SASS Wire Forum

Do You Continue To Wear Your Pistols After The Stage?

Cypress Sun

Yes I wear them all day and I also have ammo in my belt. Extra weight???? Gimme a break! :wacko: What are we talking hear 10 lbs at the most??? Geeeeez…………………….. :huh:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never saw John Wayne put his guns in his saddle bags and walk around with empty holsters!!!!!!!!!

Pay me what he was getting paid for those. And I will wear them as long as he did.

And like him. I would take them off. Run back to my nice comfy trailer on the stage lot. And wait for them to get

ready to shoot the next scene.

Seriously? No....LT to ULT is the firing line. When you tip your cart back you sweep yourself and everyone walking behind you. What? That's not a sweep but someone else walking to the cart from the ULT is? Yes to muzzle awareness....NO...to paranoid "safety" Nazi's. Read the rulebook.

Or watch everyone and anyone running around calling DQ'S.

The rules allow you to sweep yourself with no penalty. The RO I handbook says you earned a SDQ for sweeping anyone with an unloaded gun. I see nothing that limits this to the firing line. The 170 rule for example is limited to the firing line per the RO I. I personally am not really concerned about an unloaded firearm in a gun cart but am a lot more nervous about a firearm/pistol being handled by a shooter that sweeps the posse.

The rules allow you to sweep yourself with no penalty. The RO I handbook says you earned a SDQ for sweeping anyone with an unloaded gun. I see nothing that limits this to the firing line. The 170 rule for example is limited to the firing line per the RO I. I personally am not really concerned about an unloaded firearm in a gun cart but am a lot more nervous about a firearm/pistol being handled by a shooter that sweeps the posse.

That's fine, GCK...now ... show me the rule that says ANYWHERE is a SDQ.

I take off the SG belt and Holsters. Can't bend over with them on. Its easier to pick brass and set targets with them off.

Mine go on when I load up atthe truck and they come off only for lunch or natures call. I actually love the feel on my hips.

Frenchy

I leave em on. I guess because I wore a gun, ammo, cuffs, pepper spray, baton, and radio all day fior 30 years, I got used to the weight.

Hey maybe that's why my back hurts! :D

Brother King
This is from the Shooter's Handbook page 22.
The bolding and large lettering is mine.
2. Safe Gun handling is the shooter’s responsibility. The 170-degree safety rule is in effect.
Muzzle direction is important between, before, during, and after shooting a stage. A muzzle
must not be allowed to “sweep” the other participants at any time. Long guns shall have their
actions open with chambers and magazines empty and muzzles pointed in a safe direction
when transported at a match.
A holstered revolver (loaded or empty) with the hammer fully down on an empty chamber
or expended case is considered safe and may not be interpreted as sweeping another shooter while safely secured in the holster. Failure to manage safe muzzle direction is grounds for disqualification from the stage, and for repeated offenses, from the match.
Waimea
:FlagAm:

So... I'm over by my gun cart taking my pistols out of my holsters to put them away and you go to the TO or PM and tell him that I swept you while you backed into my gun cart. You're saying that I would then get a SDQ?

So... I'm over by my gun cart taking my pistols out of my holsters to put them away and you go to the TO or PM and tell him that I swept you while you backed into my gun cart. You're saying that I would then get a SDQ?

Sent ya a PM.

But to answer your question, no. You'd get an apology for me backing into your cart.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Yes, unfortunately I have seen it happen a couple of times (but not the backing into cart part), both were new shooters and they learned a valuable lesson. If you sweep someone handling guns you can be reported for unsafe gun handling. Remember everyone is a safety officer.

You may have seen a unicorn, too. However, the rule as written applies from the LT to the ULT.

I never saw John Wayne put his guns in his saddle bags and walk around with empty holsters!!!!!!!!!

He typically wore only one holster anyway, and he NEVER picked up any brass.

You may have seen a unicorn, too. However, the rule as written applies from the LT to the ULT.

What is it you do not understand about "A muzzle must not be allowed to “sweep” the other participants at any time. " At any time, means at any time. At any time would not seem to mean between LT and ULT.

I don't take em off till the last stage is shot. I just like the weight and feel of my sweeties. I like to caress the rosewood in between stages. I like the creak of the leather with guns in em. It puts me in the 1800s mood.

Nope, back in the day I was an avid weight lifter and I still lift weights regularly. I start out by curling 12 ounce weights in my right hand and when it gets tired I switch to my left. If I'm having a great part.. session I sometimes lift weights with both hands at once, though my wife frowns on that.

I hear ya pard! only my weights are only 2 ounces

I'm still new so my opinion don't count... But I like wearing the pistols.

I will say though, that in the colonial stuff I do with my father in law, I don't keep a tomahawk and possibles on my person all weekend.

So I might not wear pistols the entire time during a big match.

The novelty wears off after a while.

I think I saw another post or two maybe about where else can you walk around all day with two sixguns hooked to ya. I have to second that sentiment. When I am at the range getting ready for a cowboy shoot I get my chops busted by my buddies who don't shoot it when I take the rig out and strap up the hardware. But it does feel cool, and soon, I will be posting my profile picture that I honestly think looks pretty bada$$. I know thats conceited, but I just love running around with that rig and the guns on. So I only actually take it off for lunch.

I don't see "...from the LT to the ULT" mentioned anywhere in any of the "sweep" references:

Appendix A – Range Safety Rules #2

RO1 p.14

Safety Practices

SHB p.22

SDQ's (Penalty Overview)

RO1 p.25

Pocket RO Card

RO1 p.28

I take them off after I shoot the 6th stage.

Three pages and I keep wondering, why would anyone care?

+1

Some are acting like they are better than others just because they leave there guns on. :wacko::blink:

Archived