SASS Wire Forum

Do You Continue To Wear Your Pistols After The Stage?

Cypress Sun

As the title asks, do you continue to wear your pistols after the stage? If not, why?

After the stage is shot and brass unloaded, I always put my pistols in my cart and close the lid until needed at the next stage. My reasoning is twofold. Why carry around the weight all day while TOing, spotting, etc and also the remote possiblity of having one fall out of the holster from running, gettting snagged and the like. The weight is the main thing but getting a SDQ is another factor.

Around here I'd say about 20% do not wear their pistols until needed.

What say the fire?

CS

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My holsters have tie downs, so I'd LIKE to say that's the main reason I wear mine.

The truth is, I'm in a torrid love affair with my Colts. Living in the Peoples Republik of Marylandistan, I wear them as much as possible. :)

I ware mine from the time I unload my truck until I load my truck back up.

I wore mine for the first year of CAS but like many others, I have added a pair of holsters to the uprights on my cart and place them there between stages. I keep the hammer thongs on in the holsters so they won't accidently fall out when moving between stages.

As the title asks, do you continue to wear your pistols after the stage? If not, why?

After the stage is shot and brass unloaded, I always put my pistols in my cart and close the lid until needed at the next stage. My reasoning is twofold. Why carry around the weight all day while TOing, spotting, etc and also the remote possiblity of having one fall out of the holster from running, gettting snagged and the like. The weight is the main thing but getting a SDQ is another factor.

What say the fire?

CS

Cypress,

Unless your on the firing line from the loading table to the unloading and being the active shooter, if your pistols fall out while being TO thats a no call by SASS rules, unless this is a local club/range rule.

KK

Always take'm outta the holsters and put them in the cart. They interfere with posse duties too much on my body in MHO. Around here, some do, some don't. Personal preference.

Al

What say the fire?

CS

Sun, if in case you do drop a pistol while performing any duties or doing anything else off the line while not fun or a good idea is not grounds for a SDQ unless your range has other rules.

I'll help with some fuel Wyatt,

I like to remove them after shooting. There's a big difference between wearing them for 30 min. total versus 6 hours. Feet, legs, back, etc. all feel pretty good at the end of the day by taking the stuff off between stages. A side benefit......my suspender free levi's stay up better. :D

They live on my gun cart until needed, espically my 7 1/2" ROAs. They get pretty heavy on these old bones.

Every time you take them from and to your holsters at the gun cart, you chance sweeping someone. If you do, it will be a bad day. Only time I do it, is if I have to go to the Honey Bucket and do not want to drop them inside it.

Just like the song way too much to unholster until it's time to pick up steel and vamoose:

"...When he tried to match the Ranger with the big iron on his hip..."

Good luck, GJ

I wear mine all day. Your fear of a SDQ is misplaced, a dropped pistol in the scenario I think you're describing would be a no call.

It's clear!

Jef

The only competition shooting that I do that I don't keep the pistol in the holster is the bowling pin shoot I hit up once in a blue moon. 3-Gun, IDPA, USPSA, SASS, guns stay in the holster unless I'm shooting or packing up.

Duece and others are right. Not any penalty if pistol dropped unless on the firing line. Very few if any in my part of the woods take em off....... And.... What would James Butler, Wyatt and John Wayne do? ;):D

CS

As you know I wear my six guns from the time I unload my car til it's time to load the car back up to go home.

I can't have them on enough. :lol:

Words to live by:

Deputy Clyde (the one armed deputy) from Unforgiven

'I don't want to get killed from lack of being able to shoot back'

Of course Deputy Clyde never got one shot off in the end.

Yeah, I know, I have to walk around with unloaded guns.

But it looks COOL. B)

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Got holsters on my cart. (Thanks Colt Faro :) )

I take them off after each stage.

For your same reasons of weight.

I know I know. As fat as I am. What is it about the weight of the pistols.

But then I got enough to carry around without the pistols.

Sounds like wearing the pistols would be about the maximum amount of exercise some of you get? :lol::lol:

Had a sign on my 1st gun cart "Pee first then holsters" that's about the only time my guns come off.... just wouldn't be right as a Classic Cowboy to walk around like a de-clawed house cat... nope... couldn't abide it...a'tall.

Sounds like wearing the pistols would be about the maximum amount of exercise some of you get? :lol::lol:

Had a sign on my 1st gun cart "Pee first then holsters" that's about the only time my guns come off.... just wouldn't be right as a Classic Cowboy to walk around like a de-clawed house cat... nope... couldn't abide it...a'tall.

Yep and besides we might get attacked and I'd need them... :P

Sounds like wearing the pistols would be about the maximum amount of exercise some of you get? :lol::lol:.

Hey now. Wait a dang minute. I resemble that remark. :huh::o

Yep and besides we might get attacked and I'd need them... :P

Except they're not loaded, so what's the point?

Just kidding. I live in a state where carrying an unconcealed handgun in public gets you an invite to the pokey, so I want to take every opportunity I can! But I still take off the rig for lunch and trips to the privy.

For 20 years I wore my pistols beginning to end. Right now my belt is on it's last (tightest) notch so I take my pistols out to keep my belt from slipping down.

Fillmore

Wow!! reckon I'm in the wrong camp on this one..

I take 'em off and put them in my cart as soon as the stage is over..

Makes posse duties a whole lot easier fer me..

Rance ;)

Thinkin'.. yeah... the ol' joints don't bend as well.. :blush:

and I don't need that extra weight.. :)

I frequently take them off for comfort. However, I won't do so at a major match where there are lots of spectators wandering about. That would give them an easy opportunity to take a revolver when my back was turned.

As stated, you cannot get a DQ for a dropped firearm off the firing line...but it was not always like that! This is for all those that miss "the good old days". Not getting a DQ for a dropped gun is a fairly new rule...at least for those in my SASS number range. I have personally seen a shooter get a DQ for a pistol falling out of their holster while picking up brass. I have seen a shooter get harassed because "they swept someone with a HOLSTERED pistol while bending over to pick up brass". I saw a shooter's gun cart fall over 50 yards in back of the firing line and stood next to the RO while a fellow competitor literally ran to the RO and demanded that the unfortunate competitor be DQ'ed. These were three separate events, in three separate states, at major shoots. I was one of the first individuals to start holstering my pistols on my guncart due to a debilitating spinal cord injury. In 1999, at a Regional Championship, I was told I had to go to the parking lot to remove my pistols to put them in my gun cart. I told the RO he better check out the "American's With Disabilities" act and ignored him.

Nope, back in the day I was an avid weight lifter and I still lift weights regularly. I start out by curling 12 ounce weights in my right hand and when it gets tired I switch to my left. If I'm having a great part.. session I sometimes lift weights with both hands at once, though my wife frowns on that.

Howdy,

Kept pistols holstered for the first 11 years of CAS. Then a nerve in the right hip got inflammed. So, most of the time I place pistols in guncart after shooting. It did help some when I switched from Orig. 7-1/2" Vaqueros to 5-1/2" Colt Clones but it makes for a more comfortable ride home if I don't keep pistols holstered the entire match. Helps to loosen gunbelt as well btween shooting. Just gotta remember to cinch up the belt before shooting the next stage. Kind of embarassing when the TO has to reposition your rig. :wub:

Hasta Luego, Keystone

:wub: Georgia State Match at River Bend :wub:

Pistols go into pistol bag at the cart as soon as I return from the unloading table. I loosen the gun belt and it stays on.

I guess I'm "declawed" Brother King, but still Classic. :)

Archived