SASS Wire Forum

Do You Continue To Wear Your Pistols After The Stage?

Cypress Sun

Pistols go into pistol bag at the cart as soon as I return from the unloading table. I loosen the gun belt and it stays on.

I guess I'm "declawed" Brother King, but still Classic. :)

As long as there's shells in that bandoleer, and that TTN is within reach, no one 'round here would ever consider you "declawed" Dutch! :P:D

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I slide them in the holsters in the parking lot, use em and at the end of the day put em back in the truck. Never considered walking around with empty holsters. Just me....

Nope, back in the day I was an avid weight lifter and I still lift weights regularly. I start out by curling 12 ounce weights in my right hand and when it gets tired I switch to my left. If I'm having a great part.. session I sometimes lift weights with both hands at once, though my wife frowns on that.

12 oz weights Capt. Bill? You ARE talking about a coffee cup....right :D

I put my pistols in the gun cart after shooting each stage...makes doing stage duties easier.

With my back in the shape it's in, I'd never make it through a match if I had to wear my OMV Bisleys all day. They go in the holsters in the cart as soon as the unload procedure is finished.

I frequently take them off for comfort. However, I won't do so at a major match where there are lots of spectators wandering about. That would give them an easy opportunity to take a revolver when my back was turned.

Good point.

Sun,

I put on my holsters and pistols on at the beginning of the first stage and take them off after I finish the first last stage...........Even when I pee

As for a SDQ any RO would know that only applies to the active shooter. Lol

I take them out of the holsters and in the cart to avoid the weight. I will also take off the holsters if the shotgun target resetting involves bending down to the ground.

The weight is simply too much for my lower spine to support and the belt which I wear right on my hip bones pinches on nerves.

I once saw a chiropractor/massage therapist who said 80% of her clients were cops because of all the weight they carry on their gun belts all day. I can believe it as just a few hours plays havoc on mine.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

We put them on as soon as we get the stages all set up.

We sometimes take them off for lunch (or going to he head).

And then take them out after the last stage to tear the targets and props down.

We have all old model Vaqueros, so they do have some weight.

Mustang Gregg

(& the rest of the .44 Outfit)

I take them out of the holsters and in the cart to avoid the weight. I will also take off the holsters if the shotgun target resetting involves bending down to the ground.

The weight is simply too much for my lower spine to support and the belt which I wear right on my hip bones pinches on nerves.

I once saw a chiropractor/massage therapist who said 80% of her clients were cops because of all the weight they carry on their gun belts all day. I can believe it as just a few hours plays havoc on mine.

+1

Wait... a cowboy with empty holsters? No way... :blush: I put 'em on when I get to the range and have to pry them off when I leave. I just like to wear them..... :P

Of course I keep them on all day long! Why do you think I took up Cowboy shooting in the first place? Where else can you walk around all day wearing a pair of Colts and say 'Howdy' all day long? I take the whole rig off for lunch, then put the whole rig back on after lunch.

After 35+ years of being an electrician, I'm reminded of something someone told me long ago. I used to wear a belt/pouch that had probably 10 - 15 pounds of tools in it, plus a hammer and apron of screws, etc. He told me that if I kept wearing it where I was wearing it, with all that weight, I'd have back problems someday. Changed to a lighter load (different position) soon after.......I guess it was to late. I still wear a minimum of tools but the toll of the years in construction has taken the toll on the feet, legs, knees, hips and back. Thanks for reminding me of that guy, don't remember his name but I can still see his face.

The not recieving a SDQ for a gun dropped by a person who is not shooting the stage is enlightining........and I'm glad. While that's not the way I read the rules, I'm certainly happy for the clarification. Still ain't gonna wear 'em if I don't have to.

Thank you all for the replies. Can't remember the last time a two page thread remained "civil".

CS

As the title asks, do you continue to wear your pistols after the stage?

CS

Yes. Too many Pinkertons looking for me and too many Yankees running around loose for me to walk around unarmed.

I take mine off as soon as possible. Wore a gun for 42years in law enforcement and hate wearing it any longer than I have to. I've developed some sciatica and my back is starting to kill me. The pain is enough to want to quit entirely. Age probably has a lot to do with it.

Sometimes I put them in my cart - especially for lunch or a long break.

No, you should not get a DQ for a dropped gun, but I never liked cleaning the gun at the range on the rare time it did fall in the dirt!

I never saw John Wayne put his guns in his saddle bags and walk around with empty holsters!!!!!!!!!

+1 ... but I never saw John Wayne cop a squat in a movie either to know for sure. :lol:

i wear them till lunch break , give my back a rest by removing belt and all , then wear them till the days shooting is done then off again , i can understand some needing to relieve the weight but ive thought it part of the spirit to stay in character during the match

Kept both mine (7 1/2" bbls) holstered for my first two years in SASS. I have some back and hip issues form prior injuries (wild youth) and began to have back pain after shooting and doing posse duties for about 4 to five consecutive stages.

I added a pair of cheap holsters to my cart and put my sidearms in them once I return from the loading table. I do not put them back in the holsters till I head for the loading table. My back feels much bettter for a whole match, and I can contribute more/longer to the posse duties, especially in the summer 110deg heat.

I really enjoy wearing them, but no longer see the point of additional wear and tear on me in order to wear empty firearms.

Don't thnk WB wore his uncharged....

I saw a Roy Rogers movie once where someone asked him why he wasn't wearing his guns and he replied that they were too heavy to wear all the time. This was part of the movie, not a real life response. I believe this was a one time situation because I don't recall him in any other movie where he wasn't packing two six shooters.

I spent 27 years as a Deputy Sheriff with a semi-auto on my hip, a five shot .38 on my ankle and a North American Arms mini .22 in my pocket plus a couple of knives here and there on my person. I also had a Remington 870 plus a Ruger mini14 in the trunk. My shootouts in those days were very serious business. These days I don't find any personal satisfaction from walking around with a heavy pair of 7 1/2" new model Ruger Bisleys weighing me down. As soon as I finish a stage, off they come. When I leave the range my S&W model 60 goes right back in a holster on my hip but that's not for play acting.

When I was in my early twenties and lived near Santa Fe, NM you couldn't find me without a Colt SAA hanging from my right hip. I thought it was just the thing to do. That was many years ago and my back and hip didn't complain in those days. Now they do.

I certainly don't criticize anyone else who enjoys wearing their cowboy guns all day. I think it looks really cool. Think of Purdy Boy without his guns on? That just wouldn't be right.

Holster and guns come off after each stage.

Much more comfortable to run around and do the duties with out them.

Regards,

Ringer

I saw a Roy Rogers movie once where someone asked him why he wasn't wearing his guns and he replied that they were too heavy to wear all the time. This was part of the movie, not a real life response. I believe this was a one time situation because I don't recall him in any other movie where he wasn't packing two six shooters.

I spent 27 years as a Deputy Sheriff with a semi-auto on my hip, a five shot .38 on my ankle and a North American Arms mini .22 in my pocket plus a couple of knives here and there on my person. I also had a Remington 870 plus a Ruger mini14 in the trunk. My shootouts in those days were very serious business. These days I don't find any personal satisfaction from walking around with a heavy pair of 7 1/2" new model Ruger Bisleys weighing me down. As soon as I finish a stage, off they come. When I leave the range my S&W model 60 goes right back in a holster on my hip but that's not for play acting.

When I was in my early twenties and lived near Santa Fe, NM you couldn't find me without a Colt SAA hanging from my right hip. I thought it was just the thing to do. That was many years ago and my back and hip didn't complain in those days. Now they do.

I certainly don't criticize anyone else who enjoys wearing their cowboy guns all day. I think it looks really cool. Think of Purdy Boy without his guns on? That just wouldn't be right.

Mr. Earp first off thanks for your service. Police/sheriff/military are all on the top of my list. Second thing is I have a S&W model 60 too. Love that little gun!

fter 35+ years of being an electrician, I'm reminded of something someone told me long ago. I used to wear a belt/pouch that had probably 10 - 15 pounds of tools in it, plus a hammer and apron of screws, etc. He told me that if I kept wearing it where I was wearing it, with all that weight, I'd have back problems someday.

A Colt weighs about 2 1/2 pounds. Same with an Uberti. Two of them is only five pounds. And I stopped filling my belt loops with ammo long ago.

I get rid of that extra weight ASAP! If picking up brass, those things just make it more difficult. I usually pick brass with my hands. Those brass picker-uppers just take too long.

As for a SDQ any RO would know that only applies to the active shooter. Lol

I would think a DQ would be in order if you sweep someone removing your guns from you holsters at the cart after shooting or putting them back into the holsters. from the cart In fact I have seen one called just for that. Sweeping another shooter is not limited to just the shooting line or an active shooter. That is one reason using horizontal long gun cart storage is so difficult to prevent sweeping another person, be it shooter or spectator.

I never saw John Wayne put his guns in his saddle bags and walk around with empty holsters!!!!!!!!!

I bet you $10 he took them off between takes.

Yep, I keep them on from the parking lot to returning to the parking lot. It just makes me feel good!!!

Yup, me too!

I would think a DQ would be in order if you sweep someone removing your guns from you holsters at the cart after shooting or putting them back into the holsters. from the cart In fact I have seen one called just for that. Sweeping another shooter is not limited to just the shooting line or an active shooter. That is one reason using horizontal long gun cart storage is so difficult to prevent sweeping another person, be it shooter or spectator.

Seriously? No....LT to ULT is the firing line. When you tip your cart back you sweep yourself and everyone walking behind you. What? That's not a sweep but someone else walking to the cart from the ULT is? Yes to muzzle awareness....NO...to paranoid "safety" Nazi's. Read the rulebook.

Or watch everyone and anyone running around calling DQ'S.

Depends on how bad the ol' back is hurting. Usually keep 'em on as long as I can, then they go in the cart holsters.

Don't recall ever seeing anyone drop a pistol while doing posse duties. Maybe that is because NOBODY on the posse I normally shoot on actually runs.

Archived