SASS Wire Forum

32845 SASS members and only 61 registered to shoot The SASS Pony Express Postal Match Championship

April is here and this weekend two clubs will shoot the first stages of The SASS Pony Express Postal Match Championship. Misty Moonshine told us a while ago that there were 32,845 active SASS members. I would think that an international championship match would draw more than 61 shooters!

That is just 0.186% of active SASS members. I would have thought we could get at least 1 or 2% of SASS members to shoot this match. At 1% we could have 328 shooters and 657 at just 2%.

The proceeds benefit the SASS Scholarship Fund and the cost to participate is only $25, where can you shoot against shooters from around the world for $25? Many multi day shoots will cost 3 or 4 times that just for the registration, add travel expenses, hotel costs and you are up to $500 or more.

I know that some more shooters will sign up in the next couple of weeks. We will be soliciting shooters at the first few matches in our area, and some I spoke with are interested in participating.

If you are not going to participate in the Postal Match, why not?

Is it because there are not any clubs running the stages close enough to you?

There are 23 clubs registered to run the match stages presently; I think there is time for others to sign up too.

If you think supporting the SASS Scholarship Fund is a good cause, please seek out a club shooting the match and sign up soon.

A number of members put quite a bit of effort into this match. Thank you for your time and hard work to bring this great idea to fruition. Thank you, Shamrock Sadie, The Doily Gang and all of the other volunteers that planned, wrote stages and compiled everything else needed to make this match a success.

Sincerely,

JS Sooner

Is there a list of participating clubs?

The clubs shooting the match are here: http://doilygang.com/postal-match-details/postal-match-participating-clubs/

Match details can be found here: http://doilygang.com/postal-match-details/

More information can be found in the thread pinned at the top of the wire page.

JSS

Lets see-------

The economy is in the toilet.

Shortage of reloading components.

Lots of folk out of work.

It's tax time.

Your shoot ain't the only one hurt'n for attendance.

LG

The cost is only $25 with all excess proceeds going to the SASS Scholarship Fund. It can be shot at your regular monthly matches many are attending anyway, no extra ammo needed if shot at a monthly you are going to anyway. Compared to $500+ for a multi day match $25 is a bargain.

Bunch of clubs in Texas but don't see one listed.

Heck. Don't think I have even heard it was going on.

That could be a reason people did not sign up.

The match information has been pinned at the top of the wire page for at least 2 months details about the match are in Shamrock Sadie's post. I think there is still time for a club to sign up.

JSS

Thank you for generating some discussion, JS Sooner! We have sent emails to all of he contacts listed on the SASS club page; unfortunately all of the contacts aren't up-to-date for some reason or another. The ad will be in the April Chronicle. We've posted on the Wire and the SASS Facebook page... not sure what else to do, except getting the word out via the shooters from the Wire.

We'll send another email blast out to the Club contacts. We've reached our minimum shooter count of 42 (which allows us to break even), so any number of shooters over 42 means more will go to the SASS Scholarship Fund.

Some clubs do not have the 16 x 16 targets (might be a reason why clubs haven't signed up), so we added the SASS cowboy steel targets for the SASS Postal Match. These targets are 20" high (including the legs) and 16" wide (about 16 x 16 between the top of the cowboy legs to the rim of the hat).

Since some clubs have not heard about the Postal match, we are extending the registration for clubs to June 30, 2014. Participating clubs just need to be able to complete all 8 stages by September 30, 2014.

Shooters can still shoot the stages whether they have signed up or not. Match directors will need to submit the scores of all those who shot the Postal Match stages (regardless if they are registered or not). This way, if they register later, we can go back to their scores and enter them into the scoring application. Shooter registration deadline is June 30, 2014.

Clubs sign up here: Club Registration

Shooters sign up here: Shooter Registration

Payment is easy as well: Check, cashier's check, money order, PayPal, or Credit Card (via PayPal; no PayPal account needed).

A list of participating clubs is located at this link: Participating Clubs. At the top of the page is a PDF and Excel spreadsheet of the dates the stages will be shot at each club.

I have already signed up, but I wonder if more shooters would have been willing to sign up if they paid $35 or more and more awards were included. For me helping the scholarship fund and a chance to see were I stacked up against the rest of top shooters was enough.

We sent a survey out to the match directors last April...some didn't get the survey because the contact information wasn't up-to-date. The majority thought we should keep the cost down so that most of the funds could go towards the Scholarship Fund.

We'll send out an anonymous survey after the match (to the match directors, shooters, and non-participants) to see how we can improve on the match. We were expecting somewhat of a low count due to being the first year of this particular match.

There is still time, so I expect more shooters will sign up...let's just talk it up at the clubs and the Wire.

Thank you everyone!

If you want to see the stages that the match is running they can be found at this link:

http://doilygang.com/postal-match-details/pm-stages/

Targets - 16"x16" Square targets or Cowboy targets 16" tall x 16" wide

Targets will be of the same size at each range (with the exception of shotgun targets). A survey was sent to the match directors to find out the most commonly used target sizes. Based on the survey, the pistol/rifle target size will be the SASS recommended size of 16 x 16. The SASS cowboy targets are also allowed as shown in the picture, but the main target shooting area may not be larger than 16 x 16 between the top of the cowboy legs to the rim of the hat (see picture). The color of the pistol/rifle targets will be painted black or red, as designed on the stage setup specifications.

target_cowboy-208x300.png

target_square.png

The shotgun target specification will be of different sizes due to their being uncommon shotgun targets at the clubs that responded to the survey. Swinging shotgun targets will not be used; only knock-downs. Recommended calibration for shotgun targets: To be taken down with a pistol round with a power factor of 60 from 8 yards.

Yep 'ya can lead a horse to water but can't make 'em drink ! Good cause I reckon & I am at present trying to round up those that might be interested..maybe yes, maybe no.

personally I like postal matches but there are a lot that are over them...

Only one listed in Florida (it says Georgia, but the last time I checked Jacksonville is still in Florida), which is not centrally located. You might have better luck if you had an "Ambassador" in each state talk to the clubs about taking this on.............and no, I am not volunteering Sadie.

Only one listed in Florida (it says Georgia, but the last time I checked Jacksonville is still in Florida), which is not centrally located. You might have better luck if you had an "Ambassador" in each state talk to the clubs about taking this on.............and no, I am not volunteering Sadie.

An ambassador for each state is a good idea, it may be too late for that this year though.

The first riders leave their station tomorrow, at this point in time we need everyone to pass information about this match along. Engage match directors to see if they can run the stages at their matches over the next 6 months. The Doily Gang is doing the bulk of the work, match directors just have to comply with target size, stage layout, match score reporting and in accordance with SASS rules for the match.

Next time you attempt to put something like this, get the clubs on board first, then set a date range, or give clubs options.

We usually stick out annual shoots in the good months here in Southern Nevada to get the best attendance.

And in the summer we are very cautious about the stages we write because of the 110 plus heat. Other areas need to thaw out.

I some areas you might want to try to get several clubs together for such a match because of the target requirements.

You have to sell this match and it should be done on a more personal level than an email no one received. And not to the club contacts. If it is a SASS sponsored/etc. it should have gone to the TGs and gotten them to take it to their clubs.

You didn't sell the idea.

Maybe it's just more proof that the vast majority of us shoot to shoot rather than to compete, and just have no interest in how we compare to the rest of the world.

That may be so, but this is for a good cause and at $25, a great price. There are many SASS members that will never make it to End of Trail or a match the size of a regional. This gives them the opportunity to participate in a potentially large match without a large expense. I have gone to our state match to shoot it not expecting to place and receive an award or plaque.

The match information has been pinned at the top of the wire page for at least 2 months details about the match are in Shamrock Sadie's post. I think there is still time for a club to sign up.

JSS

Most of SASS members never get on the wire to see it.

And those that do. May be like me.

I don't even look at the pinned posts.

Most the time they are old stuff and I just skip over it.

April is here and this weekend two clubs will shoot the first stages of The SASS Pony Express Postal Match Championship. Misty Moonshine told us a while ago that there were 32,845 active SASS members. I would think that an international championship match would draw more than 61 shooters!

At my gunclub a few years ago somebody proposed an event and was ticked off when nobody signed up for it. Then he stood up at the next meeting and lectured everybody on their lack of interest and lack of participation.

If you find that an event you proposed is not as popular as you expected it to be, perhaps it simply reflects the amount of interest such an event will generate, rather than indicting the membership for not supporting your event.

Many clubs have their own charitable fund raising matches. Many of those are for the scholarship fund as well. It is what clubs do.

I wish you the best but brow beating clubs, because they did not join in on this match, may not be the best approach for increased participation.

I would have thought we could get at least 1 or 2% of SASS members to shoot this match. At 1% we could have 328 shooters and 657 at just 2%.

All of the following are strictly MY OPINION and response to the questions posed.

My responses are not intended as insult or to denigrate the efforts of the clubs or individuals attempting this match.

There are very few shoots in our game that draw the kind of numbers you are discussing.

To think a first time event should attract the same as a Winter Range or EOT is a pretty tall order.

The proceeds benefit the SASS Scholarship Fund

The SASS Scholarship fund is a worthy cause - but if I wanted to donate my monies, I would do so directly.

and the cost to participate is only $25

Not exactly true. The cost to enroll in the Postal Match is $25 - the cost to participate is $25 PLUS whatever the hosting club charges for their monthly event.

($10, $15, $20) And since the event is spread out over a minimum of two events and recommended for four.

Total cost for your match is $25 plus two to four monthly events.

$25 plus match fees = a match cost of no less than $45 {$25 + two $10 monthly shoots} and as much as $105 {$25 + four $20 monthly shoots} for an eight stage event.

For that level of fee outlay, there are any number of annual shoots I can enter.

If you are not going to participate in the Postal Match, why not?

As Match Director - I am 100% responsible for the match day product.

Shooters have certain expectations when they attend matches.

An insignificant % of a monthly events shooters will be participating in the Postal match - but 100% of the attendees will be shooting the stages.

For the club that I have to satisfy - that stage sets and distances are not the product that the majority of MY shooters would be expecting..

I am wondering if people didn't sign up because they didn't realize they shoot locally for this match. I know I didn't know about this type of match so I didn't even check the match topic. I figured it was an away match like all the others and I couldn't afford it anyway.

They been calling Jville South Georga, and Tally Lower Alabama, fer years

so dis dolley thang ain't just fer women???

Archived