SASS Wire Forum

Since we won't be payin' for the paper.........................

Knarley Bob

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup..............when all else fails, get nasty.

We are talking about a ............AND I QUOTE..........."A Membership Fulfillment". It does NOT matter where the money comes from, it IS still part of the deal of being a MEMBER.........HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!

For $55.00.....one gets

A membership card

A rule book

A badge

A pin

And a sticker.

Now THAT is a value packed deal if I ever heard of one.

After the first year, ya get.............

A new card &

A sticker.

Where is the $55.00 going??? It sure isn't doing me any good. Where is there ANY value of spending money on nothing?

At least the paper had some value, and that's more the point. We ain't askin' for something for nothing, but don't want nothing for something.

If that doesn't make sense, there is nothing I can do for you.......

Knarley

The Govt. is puttin' it to you........and for a lot more than $55 a year. But, you do get a paper......it's called an Income Tax form. Lucky & I went Life, but will pay the $35 for a paper copy so we can continue to pass it around. A small price to pay for all the friends we've made & fun we have shooting this game. Just my .02 cents.

The Govt. is puttin' it to you........and for a lot more than $55 a year. But, you do get a paper......it's called an Income Tax form. Lucky & I went Life, but will pay the $35 for a paper copy so we can continue to pass it around. A small price to pay for all the friends we've made & fun we have shooting this game. Just my .02 cents.

+1

GG

You know, at first I was upset by the change to electronic Chronicle, but after some consideration and reading Misty's letter, I really don't care. I'm gonna pay the $35 for a hard copy, 'cause that's what I like. That is just a FRACTION of the thousands of $ per year I spend on this sport.

For those who think that SASS is unimportant and that CAS would go on without it- I say maybe so, but it WON'T be the same game it is now. I think a governing organization is a good thing for a sport, for the most part. Nobody is going to agree with EVERYTHING they do. But without, there would be chaos. No shoots above local level. Nothing but club rules. And so forth. Now I'm aware that most shooters don't go to any matches above club level. But would CAS be the same without them? I doubt it. In case you're wondering, we went to EoT last year, but this year we're just doing local club matches. No state matches, no regionals. Probably that way for the foreseeable future. (time mostly, not money). Doesn't mean I don't believe in a strong governing body just because it won't impact me much. I can't rally imagine what CAS would be without World, National, State, and Regional championships. Even if I don't take part in them, I like the fact that they're there in case I WANT to go to them again.

Like many of you out there, I used to think the Wild Bunch was rolling in money. Last year we worked the NRA convention in Houston. Comments we heard from The Judge, Kate, and Misty(not addressed to us-just overheard) caused me to revise that opinion. They're working hard to keep SASS going, and I'm not going to second guess them. If SASS is going to survive, people have to be doing it full time. That means making a living doing it. THAT is where our dues are going. And I don't mind helping to support this. Even if I don't agree with everything they do.

OK, I admit to being far more computer literate than most folks on the wire. A couple of decades in corporate IT does that. However, since I retired to the "real world" I have talked to people who do not own a computer, don't do email and never logged into Facebook.

The reality is that within the SASS cohort, there are a lot of folks who are not wired to the internet and would have no idea how to do it.

While I could care less about printed versus online CC, there are those who are not on the wire who simply have no voice. Their only option may be to vote with their feet which would be too bad.

I have been wondering what will get a little heat this winter. About this time of the year there seems to be something that gets a lot of attention, like mouse fart loads. Being a senior, I like paper. Get two every morning. OK by me if its emailed. I think the non profit thing is much more important, 501c4?

You could be right about 501c4, for example the NRA is I think a 501c4, though the NRA Foundation is a 501c3. If they want a single entity, 501c3 might make more sense, as it allows more tax deduction possibilities for donations and bequests, though all that probably deserves it's own thread if they do pursue it. I'm no expert, though I did write a constitution and bylaws for a non-profit. We had a Judge who was a member that I gave it to for review to make sure it was up to snuff. You are right about it being the most significant issue that Sass is contemplating from reading Misty's post.

What happens if they cannot get 5000 folks to pony up extry for a print CC? It don't happen that's what.

Very very stupid move. Us card carrying Luddites may not burn the factory down but there is no longer ANY incentive for those who do not go to big matches to continue to contribute almost fifty bucks yearly to an outfit that has seen fit to cast them aside.

SASS has shot themselves in the foot with this one. If a print CC is unavailable period it could well possibly doom the organization. Might just mark the beginning of the downfall of the org. Just because the majority of Wahr denizens prefer the pdf does not mean the majority of the rank and file do. Wahr denizens are more usually those more familiar with and comfortable with such electronical goings on.

Us Luddites might have other thoughts and preferences. SASS discontinues the print version at its peril. Again I say it is a very stupid move.

Just the thought of a mob of Luddites with torches ought to put a shiver down the corporate spines....

Might just be more of us Luddites out here than they think....

What happens if they cannot get 5000 folks to pony up extry for a print CC? It don't happen that's what.

Very very stupid move. Us card carrying Luddites may not burn the factory down but there is no longer ANY incentive for those who do not go to big matches to continue to contribute almost fifty bucks yearly to an outfit that has seen fit to cast them aside.

SASS has shot themselves in the foot with this one. If a print CC is unavailable period it could well possibly doom the organization. Might just mark the beginning of the downfall of the org. Just because the majority of Wahr denizens prefer the pdf does not mean the majority of the rank and file do. Wahr denizens are more usually those more familiar with and comfortable with such electronical goings on.

Us Luddites might have other thoughts and preferences. SASS discontinues the print version at its peril. Again I say it is a very stupid move.

Just the thought of a mob of Luddites with torches ought to put a shiver down the corporate spines....

Might just be more of us Luddites out here than they think....

You seeing the only benefit to supporting SASS as being the CC doesn't surprise me...because you're looking at it from a "What do I get out of it" only pov.

Phantom

I would love to say some thing here but I was lectured how disrespectfully I was for having an opinion as a TG, but folks there are bigger fish to fry than the CC not being printed like long term survival of SASS. Oh darn I went and did it, I will wait my for scolding. :D

KK

I would love to say some thing here but I was lectured how disrespectfully I was for having an opinion as a TG, but folks there are bigger fish to fry than the CC not being printed like long term survival of SASS. Oh darn I went and did it, I will wait my for scolding. :D

KK

That's funny. Cuz you choose to volunteer your time as a TG or Allie as the moderator, you guys somehow lose the right to have an opinion.

KK, I have been told I shouldn't state opinions because I'm a Moderator.

BTW folks, I didn't lecture KK and am wondering who did...

Sorry Allie didn't mean to let people think it was you, but thanks for the kind words.

KK

That's funny. Cuz you choose to volunteer your time as a TG or Allie as the moderator, you guys somehow lose the right to have an opinion.

Thank you! :wub:

BTW, I'm a TG too. So I guess I should really be careful. Actually, I don't post a lot of things I'd like to since becoming a Moderator. :blush::ph34r:

Most people should know the difference from Allie speaking as a Moderator and Allie giving a personal opinion. If they don't, they are taking me way too seriously. :o:wacko:

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS I could put TG above my avatar (it used to show where Administrator is); but, Black Harris gave me the "Vet - e" and I like it. It's like a little keepsake.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

SASS has shot themselves in the foot with this one.

The Chronicle isn't where the Problem is... ;)

KInda' stayed off this thread... and Yeah... I've read the whole dang thing..

Can't say I like readin' the CC on the computer...

but... it is what it is...

When I told my wife (Lacey) about Cowboy Chronicle goin' ta computer version or $35... the first thing she said..

"Just pay the $35 and get it over with."

(she knows me better than I think :blush: sometimes :D )

One thing I've wondered about... :mellow:

If we pony up the $35 (the March CC said $25)

What happens if we don't get the 5000 signed up..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I don't mind the $25 or $35 if it works.. :)

Oh I certainly do have whatever keeps this great game going well into the future, Phantom. You assume too much about us who prefer a paper Chronicle. Casting aspersions on the other side seems too acceptable on this thread and the other threads (some now closed because of unnecessary foolish acrimony) by those who prefer the pdf version. It is unseemly. Saying the paper CC is only good for wrapping fish or lining the parakeet cage sure is funny. Ha ha.

I save every issue. Before I got a computer and became overwhelmed by all the knowledge to be gleaned on hundreds of thousands of websites I would read and re-read every issue. Nowadays , what with fb'ing and all, I barely have time to leaf thru it once and then it goes on the pile. I still buy every gun magazine that catches my eye and they too sometimes don't even get opened much less digested but they all go on their respective piles. If tshtf, at least I will have plenty to read by candle light.

I will happily pay the $35 for a paper CC. As SO many have pointed out, that's cheap enuff. I long ago got more than my $400 worth out of my life membership. WAY more. So all you folks telling us to "get over it" need to get over it. Quit telling us on the other side to just shut up and accept the way the cookie crumbles. Just because your opinion is that the pdf version is just fine for all members, well, guess what?, it ain't necessarily so. We are all equal members. Everyone here is entitled to have their own opinion and all have the right to express that opinion. If that opinion is not the same as yours, so what? NO need to cast aspersions on the other side.

We are ALL riding for the brand and we ALL wish SASS mucho success into the future forever. As someone else so wisely said on another thread, "if you are a Cowboy Action Shooter then you are my friend". Vaya con Dios, Amigos.

Are dues to SASS going to be lowered seeing as how "They" won't be having to bear the burden of printing and mailing the Chronicle?

Part of the dues where for that service................

not a chance

prices all around are rising at an alarming rate

go to the store an pay attention

some products are NOT raising price

they are just packageing smaller (same thing as rising prices only different)

e publication is the way of change

no one wants to pay more or get less

but that is the way it is going west in a covered wagon sometimes

may SASS / CAS live long

Are dues to SASS going to be lowered seeing as how "They" won't be having to bear the burden of printing and mailing the Chronicle?

Part of the dues where for that service................

If you don't think you're getting your monies worth, stop paying your dues. Really . .is it that hard to figure out??

SC

Oh I certainly do have whatever keeps this great game going well into the future, Phantom. You assume too much about us who prefer a paper Chronicle. Casting aspersions on the other side seems too acceptable on this thread and the other threads (some now closed because of unnecessary foolish acrimony) by those who prefer the pdf version. It is unseemly. Saying the paper CC is only good for wrapping fish or lining the parakeet cage sure is funny. Ha ha.

I save every issue. Before I got a computer and became overwhelmed by all the knowledge to be gleaned on hundreds of thousands of websites I would read and re-read every issue. Nowadays , what with fb'ing and all, I barely have time to leaf thru it once and then it goes on the pile. I still buy every gun magazine that catches my eye and they too sometimes don't even get opened much less digested but they all go on their respective piles. If tshtf, at least I will have plenty to read by candle light.

I will happily pay the $35 for a paper CC. As SO many have pointed out, that's cheap enuff. I long ago got more than my $400 worth out of my life membership. WAY more. So all you folks telling us to "get over it" need to get over it. Quit telling us on the other side to just shut up and accept the way the cookie crumbles. Just because your opinion is that the pdf version is just fine for all members, well, guess what?, it ain't necessarily so. We are all equal members. Everyone here is entitled to have their own opinion and all have the right to express that opinion. If that opinion is not the same as yours, so what? NO need to cast aspersions on the other side.

We are ALL riding for the brand and we ALL wish SASS mucho success into the future forever. As someone else so wisely said on another thread, "if you are a Cowboy Action Shooter then you are my friend". Vaya con Dios, Amigos.

You may have a way with...words. But your response has no relevance to my response to your first post.

Perhaps you should...try again.

And please be pithy in your response...I have a short attention span.

Phantom

I've got phantom's back on this one!

Lone Dog, I really hope that your reply was tongue in cheek! It was actually funny to read your reply so I hope you were just foolin' around!

It's just a newspaper.......Just read it online with your cowboy hat on and tickling the ivory grips of your colt Revolver!!

If you didn't have a computer you wouldn't be posting here, so you are capable of reading it online(just take your I Pad into the outhouse and you'll never notice the difference!... It reads the same way online and doesn't clog my PO BOX...or the outhouse!

Doom the Organization? To have an Online Chronicle Only? I rather doubt it! (again, tongue in cheek I would hope)

Lower the dues? (what , $5 a year)..SASS is still a bargain as far as dues go, newspaper or not!

Give me a break! :ph34r:;)

So SASS has entered the 21st century.......Shocking. ;)

Thank you! :wub:

BTW, I'm a TG too. So I guess I should really be careful. Actually, I don't post a lot of things I'd like to since becoming a Moderator. :blush::ph34r:

Most people should know the difference from Allie speaking as a Moderator and Allie giving a personal opinion. If they don't, they are taking me way too seriously. :o:wacko:

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS I could put TG above my avatar (it used to show where Administrator is); but, Black Harris gave me the "Vet - e" and I like it. It's like a little keepsake.

It really should say, "Blabberfingers"..... :P

LG

I've got phantom's back on this one!

Lone Dog, I really hope that your reply was tongue in cheek! It was actually funny to read your reply so I hope you were just foolin' around!

It's just a newspaper.......Just read it online with your cowboy hat on and tickling the ivory grips of your colt Revolver!!

If you didn't have a computer you wouldn't be posting here, so you are capable of reading it online(just take your I Pad into the outhouse and you'll never notice the difference!... It reads the same way online and doesn't clog my PO BOX...or the outhouse!

Doom the Organization? To have an Online Chronicle Only? I rather doubt it! (again, tongue in cheek I would hope)

Lower the dues? (what , $5 a year)..SASS is still a bargain as far as dues go, newspaper or not!

Give me a break! :ph34r:;)

So SASS has entered the 21st century.......Shocking. ;)

+1 :) Next shooter!

No Shorty I am not being facetious. I worry about how many of our card carrying dues-paying members have never and are never gonna shoot a match. And the only reason they have been members is to get the print CC. I do not wanta read the pdf version dammit, I am a Luddite. I do not own an Ipad to carry to the outhouse. I'm afraid there are several thousand folks that this move is gonna run off. And what about advertisers. Many may pull their ads and take their money elsewhere. There is no better way to spread the word about CAS than the free CCs that get handed out at shoots. I am also afraid there will not be 4999 other pards who will want to ante up the extra dinero for a print CC so it won't happen. Just a bad move by the WB. If I were on the WB the print CC would be the absolute last thing to be jettisoned,

I know all ye modern pards think it is no big deal and a pdf CC is fine by y'all. But it ain't by me.

And I ain't alone...

This like all other hot topics will pass. Yes it will be brought up of years to come. But the SASS that I know (meaning the folks that I see on the range and at matches) will continue on. There will not be a mass exodus from the game. The match director will still get up at 5:30 in the morning,get to the club early, make sure there are coffee and donuts for the shooters and wait for shooters to start pulling in the lot with the same excitement he or she had when they did it for the first time. There is a overwhelming trend that I have seen since I started 12 years ago. The folks who really immerse themselves in the people and the relationships they build and the commitments and jobs they start and finish stay, period. The game is much more than what happens between the load and unload, and it's way more than any newspaper that shows up in my mailbox.

You know, at first I was upset by the change to electronic Chronicle, but after some consideration and reading Misty's letter, I really don't care. I'm gonna pay the $35 for a hard copy, 'cause that's what I like. That is just a FRACTION of the thousands of $ per year I spend on this sport.

For those who think that SASS is unimportant and that CAS would go on without it- I say maybe so, but it WON'T be the same game it is now. I think a governing organization is a good thing for a sport, for the most part. Nobody is going to agree with EVERYTHING they do. But without, there would be chaos. No shoots above local level. Nothing but club rules. And so forth. Now I'm aware that most shooters don't go to any matches above club level. But would CAS be the same without them? I doubt it. In case you're wondering, we went to EoT last year, but this year we're just doing local club matches. No state matches, no regionals. Probably that way for the foreseeable future. (time mostly, not money). Doesn't mean I don't believe in a strong governing body just because it won't impact me much. I can't rally imagine what CAS would be without World, National, State, and Regional championships. Even if I don't take part in them, I like the fact that they're there in case I WANT to go to them again.

Like many of you out there, I used to think the Wild Bunch was rolling in money. Last year we worked the NRA convention in Houston. Comments we heard from The Judge, Kate, and Misty(not addressed to us-just overheard) caused me to revise that opinion. They're working hard to keep SASS going, and I'm not going to second guess them. If SASS is going to survive, people have to be doing it full time. That means making a living doing it. THAT is where our dues are going. And I don't mind helping to support this. Even if I don't agree with everything they do.

My thoughts exactly. When you look at how much I spend and contonue to spend on this game every year, an extra $35 is seriously nothing.

This like all other hot topics will pass. Yes it will be brought up of years to come. But the SASS that I know (meaning the folks that I see on the range and at matches) will continue on. There will not be a mass exodus from the game. The match director will still get up at 5:30 in the morning,get to the club early, make sure there are coffee and donuts for the shooters and wait for shooters to start pulling in the lot with the same excitement he or she had when they did it for the first time. There is a overwhelming trend that I have seen since I started 12 years ago. The folks who really immerse themselves in the people and the relationships they build and the commitments and jobs they start and finish stay, period. The game is much more than what happens between the load and unload, and it's way more than any newspaper that shows up in my mailbox.

Right on brother!

Rye ;)

Wait a minute, you mean you serve coffee and donuts at your shoots. I am going to make some serious complaints at our next shoot. <_<

Archived