SASS Wire Forum

Since we won't be payin' for the paper.........................

Knarley Bob

About 5 years ago the Francise that I am in went to E publications. Owners whinnied and cried. It is the beginning of the end, wank, wank, wank.

5 years later we are bigger and stronger as a business. I now have the manuals on my iPad. I no longer have to have a cabinet full of manuals. Our members no longer have to purchase every update that comes out. All in all it was a good thing.

Have you ever read the American Rifleman E version? It is wonderful. Full of interactive content.

I am sure the format of the chronically will change as time goes on. If you don't like reading it on a PC get yourself a IPad. Nothing like sitting in favorite chair surfing the web or reading the chronical. Heck I took the Chronicle, a book, Guns and Ammo plus the American Rifleman with me on my recent trip. I didn't have to take a back pack to carry it all. Just my iPad.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I put in my other post I don't read the CC much.Don't care much for two of the writers.If some one say there is a good think to read I go look it up.If there are 4999 that want it and they need the 5000 one I would sign up for it.I can look at it on the web,don't really like to do that but no more than I read the cc it will be fine.

Anyone ever had a computer crash or break your smart phone, ipad etc.

What happened to your saved files, if they weren't backed up?

Can't save what you don't have.

Ever try to download a big pdf file on dial up. Everyone doesn't have cable or dsl or satellite internet.

Everyone doesn't have a smart phone, ipad, ect. everyone doesn't want them. But...........etc.

What's important to some....not so much to others.

Each to his own....live and let live. Everyone has the right to their opinion, most of the time you can't change it.

And oh yeah -- CAS ain't about the 21st century

It's about the 19tj century.

In the 21st century..SASS is about the 21st century we just pretend to some degree emulate the dress and guns of the 19th century..but that doesn't make it the 19th century!

I guess your Luddite position is why you ride to the matches on a horse and buggy and not in an automobile,

Sorry Pard, but your position is seriously absurd re the Chronicle, particulalrly since i now know you were serious and not just joking around!

SASS will not crumble to dust for lack of a printed newspaper full of advertisements!

Lack of a printed newspaper is not going to harm SASS enrollment one bit!

Did you join SASS to read..or to shoot?

Just ask a pard that isn't stuck in the time machine with Dr.Who to print out the Chronicle for you each month .Then you won't feel deprived.

What happens if they cannot get 5000 folks to pony up extry for a print CC? It don't happen that's what.

Very very stupid move. Us card carrying Luddites may not burn the factory down but there is no longer ANY incentive for those who do not go to big matches to continue to contribute almost fifty bucks yearly to an outfit that has seen fit to cast them aside.

SASS has shot themselves in the foot with this one. If a print CC is unavailable period it could well possibly doom the organization. Might just mark the beginning of the downfall of the org. Just because the majority of Wahr denizens prefer the pdf does not mean the majority of the rank and file do. Wahr denizens are more usually those more familiar with and comfortable with such electronical goings on.

Us Luddites might have other thoughts and preferences. SASS discontinues the print version at its peril. Again I say it is a very stupid move.

Just the thought of a mob of Luddites with torches ought to put a shiver down the corporate spines....

Might just be more of us Luddites out here than they think....

SO-YOU only joined SASS for the CC then? <_<

Carry on,

LG

In the 21st century..SASS is about the 21st century we just pretend to some degree emulate the dress and guns of the 19th century..but that doesn't make it the 19th century!

I guess your Luddite position is why you ride to the matches on a horse and buggy and not in an automobile,

Sorry Pard, but your position is seriously absurd re the Chronicle, particulalrly since i now know you were serious and not just joking around!

SASS will not crumble to dust for lack of a printed newspaper full of advertisements!

Lack of a printed newspaper is not going to harm SASS enrollment one bit!

Did you join SASS to read..or to shoot?

Just ask a pard that isn't stuck in the time machine with Dr.Who to print out the Chronicle for you each month .Then you won't feel deprived.

yup - and the printed version is still available for a mere $35/yr. Even I can give up a few beers for that :D

BTW: hope all is well with you pard.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Hey Lone Dog. If I too want to become a true "card carrying Luddite", does that mean I have to give up reading this here internet forum. And if I can't read it, how am I going to post comments on it? I guess if you never see or hear from me again, you'll know what happened.

I'm calling the SASS office right now to give 'em my $35, before I also have to give up using these new fangled telephones.

This like all other hot topics will pass. Yes it will be brought up of years to come. But the SASS that I know (meaning the folks that I see on the range and at matches) will continue on. There will not be a mass exodus from the game. The match director will still get up at 5:30 in the morning,get to the club early, make sure there are coffee and donuts for the shooters and wait for shooters to start pulling in the lot with the same excitement he or she had when they did it for the first time. There is a overwhelming trend that I have seen since I started 12 years ago. The folks who really immerse themselves in the people and the relationships they build and the commitments and jobs they start and finish stay, period. The game is much more than what happens between the load and unload, and it's way more than any newspaper that shows up in my mailbox.

Duece.....WELL SAID

Missed you at the Siege at St Augustine this year, hope you can come next year.

Bill Bonney

LUD-DITE...Noun,

A member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery. Esp. Cotton & woolen mills. :blink:

Now I am confused , way confused.

YES!!! I looked it up :P

Knarley

In contemporary thought[edit]

The title Luddite developed a secondary meaning: a "Luddite" is a term describing those opposed to, or slow to adopt or incorporate into their lifestyle, industrialisation, automation, computerisation or new technologies in general.[20] In 1956, there is a parliamentary speech that said 'Organised workers were by no means wedded to a Luddite Philosophy'. [

No Lumpster, I joined SASS to shoot and been shooting since May 96. I sometimes shoot 4, 5, and even 6 shoots a month.

All slings and arrows flung at me have no effect. Words can never hurt me. I will continue to maintain this is a very bad business decision on SASS' part. The loss of revenue of those who maintain a membership solely to receive a paper CC could easily have maintained it. Now they will be gone, advertisers will be gone and SASS will rue the day. All you modernists will then be crying out the other side of yer mouths.

Luddites unite! Everything invented after JMB came up with the 1892 is superfluous anyway.

Except perhaps for his equally brilliant 1911...

No Lumpster, I joined SASS to shoot and been shooting since May 96. I sometimes shoot 4, 5, and even 6 shoots a month.

All slings and arrows flung at me have no effect. Words can never hurt me. I will continue to maintain this is a very bad business decision on SASS' part. The loss of revenue of those who maintain a membership solely to receive a paper CC could easily have maintained it. Now they will be gone, advertisers will be gone and SASS will rue the day. All you modernists will then be crying out the other side of yer mouths.

Luddites unite! Everything invented after JMB came up with the 1892 is superfluous anyway.

Except perhaps for his equally brilliant 1911...

Wow...that IS a lot of shooting...so, which clubs do you shoot at regularly?

Phantom

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

I paid for the paper one too.

I put them out in the gun shop to create interest in CAS and SASS.

Mustang Gregg

Wild West Arms, Inc.

yup - and the printed version is still available for a mere $35/yr. Even I can give up a few beers for that :D

BTW: hope all is well with you pard.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Many thanks Gunner

I've been pretty much down for the count the last 3 1/2 years, but on the road for a comeback!

I'll be back!!

Bet there are a few that feel/felt like these JMB later than 1892 anti-luddite concoctions are far from superfluous and could just owe their lives to them. :rolleyes:

Wait a minute, you mean you serve coffee and donuts at your shoots. I am going to make some serious complaints at our next shoot. <_<

When we shoot at the "Granite City Gunslinggers" in Kimbal MN..............

We have hot coffee,tea,cider & hot cocoa in the winter + COOKIES!!!!!

If it's real hot in the summer,not so much coffee, but Watermelon,cookies, and Ice cold water!!!!

Knarley

Us Luddites like our comfort (Hospitality, a thing of the past)

Wow...that IS a lot of shooting...so, which clubs do you shoot at regularly?

Phantom

First Saturday is Texas Tumbleweeds, also 3rd Sunday for Wild Bunch.

Second and third Saturday is Canadian River Regulators, also 5th Sat for WB.

4th Sat is here in Pampa.

Sometimes the weather will get a shoot cancelled but if it's on, I try to make it.

Add 'em up, comes to 5 sometimes 6 a month.

Archived