SASS Wire Forum

Cost of Your SASS Equipment?

Zachariah Smith 70528

Reading this thread ... there is an obvious reason why young shooters are not flocking to SASS!

Since we turned this into a political disscussion somehow, has anyone seen the price of a new Open Race gun for USPSA? If you have one of the good smiths build one, it will run between $4,000.00 and $5,000.00. Then add at least six mags at about $120.00 each, then the holster, mag pouches, belt. So you are pushing about $6,000.00 for ONE GUN. So please don't start with why young shooters aren't flocking to SASS. It's like everything else....if you can afford the best you will most likely buy it. If you can't, you will find a way to do it for less.

Besides, any good cowboy will always spend his money on the best equipment, the best saddle, the best hat and the best boots he can find.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to keep it pretty reasonable in the beginning BUT when I decided to go back into leather work to help with the cost :wacko: . Truth is my gun safe, with contents, would bring a pretty hefty sum if sold off by the pound at scrap steel prices. Asking 'some' of the old guys who have been gun nuts for a lot of years to value inventory is nowhwere near an actual cost to play sum. I thought I had arrived until I saw the fancy '73 post that is currently running, that one gun had to cost as much as my three Cody/Spurs slicked up '73s combined! And to think, this isn't the most expensive hobby I have had by a shot length!

My CAS firearms cost was far less then what I spent/spend on my military shooters and ammo. I can look in my safes and see were Mausers, Lugers, M1 Garands, Carbines, ARs, Thompson, and MP40, etc. Each costing more then CAS items.

Like anything, its what your interest and hobby's are, and how much you want to spend. I see shooters shooting used, second hand, CAS firearms, shooting better, and faster then me. I've seen budget shooters that don't have the slicked firearms, or costly leather and are consistantly in the top 10 or 20s overall.

Its not always the cost, but the devotion to practice, and knowing your equipment. MT

An amount that I hope my wife never discovers

If your wife is as smart as mine, and I would bet she is, she knows and she also knows that it is better for you to play cowboy than a lot of other hobbies.

At my first match, I borrowed a shotgun. Following is for my first match with a full set of guns

When I started, 2 years ago:

Pistol #1: $425 (Gunbroker)

Pistol #2: 200* (Club member)

Rifle:: 425* (Local club ad0

Shotgun: 325* (Gunbroker)

Guns: $1375

Leather: $210

Boots, shirt: $200

I've upgraded some of the guns, buying and selling to get what I truly wanted.

*$200 pistol, added $45 grips and $30 spring kit; sold for $300

*$425 rifle sold for $375

*$325 shotgun sold for $225

I've also added a gun cart, purchased from a local club ad for $150.

And I did spend about $300 to start reloading.

I wrote the article on how this does not have to be an expensive hobby. See the article CAS on the Cheap, published some time this spring.

I don't even want to think about it. I recently sent in my form 6NIA to BATF in order to attend some matches in the US next year and realized that for the wife and myself I listed 22 firearms!

I really dont consider SASS all that expensive in comperasion to some other things a person can be doing To me Grlzz's video is priceless !!! I have been fortunate to have done a lot of different games drag racing, trap shooting etc. and it can be done at all different levels depends on how far you want to take it. As a good pard of mine leans on a totaly enclosed snowmobile trailer with 2- $10,000.00 sleds inside with all the matching clothing an a deisel truck to pull it all with every weekend an tells me how expensive Sass sounds. All I can say is REALLY !!!!! an laugh. NK

I come up with $1500.00.

It cost me at least four times that much to get to the set of guns that I now consider my match guns.

That $1500.00 doesn't include the cap and ball guns, long range guns etc. that seem to accumulate. Let's not even talk about the clothes!

I bought all of the guns used and did the work on them myself so I saved some there. But I forgot to count the guns that Annie Mossidy uses.

Then there are the spare shotguns, forgot about them.

Boots, oh yes, there are boots. And Hats. More than one.

Must be $10,000 if you count all the stuff for me and Annie. Yikes!

So if I could start right now with all that I know I could outfit myself for $1500-$2000 if I took my time. Doing it the hard way cost a lot more. No wonder I'm broke!

Well,

Ruger custom Old Armys with conversion cylinders 1800

73 Cody 1400

Stoger 300

leather 400

Home made cart 200

reloading stuff 1500

43' Motor home to go to distance matches $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Now my other hobby just happens to be Flying. At this time I own 5 airplanes. From a Beech Baron to a 1951 Piper Pacer :)

So CAS is pretty cheap :rolleyes:

WJ

I started out with pretty good equipment from the git go. Brand new SASS Vaquero's, a used but perfect '94 Marlin and a new Stoeger Coach gun. Along with some hats and boots and shirts and a new rig including shotgun belt and cartridge slide. This all came to about $3000.

I had reloading equipment that I have had for years, although I have since purchased a like new Dillon 550.

I have also since added long guns for backups, and 5 more pistols, (because I wanted them), and expanded my leather somewhat. I suspect that I am now well over $7000, all told.

That seems like a lot, but when considering my expences over the last 20 years shooting Skeet, That wouldn't even cover my travel, lodging and entry fees for one year, not even counting guns or ammo. So, at least for me, I feel that it's relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things, and I enjoy it immmensely.

Yes I realize it's probably hard for some to put together enough cash to get started. However, it can be done relatively cheap if you don't get in a hurry, and pick up the bargains that are out there looking for a home.

RBK

Let's see. About $300 grand in the bus, $20 g in the shop trailer, about $2000 for insurance. $5,000 a year mainenance or &2000/yr service contract & $1500/yr in deductibles The Jeep is over 35k.

Then there's guns, about $6k two pair of rce redy Rugers,, 2 '73's, & 2 SKBs. We won't count the guns tried along the way, side match guns, etc. (& WB guns--$7500)

Let's see, finding boots up to walking on sharp rocks all day, $2,000. Costuming, past about $200 for baaics is optional. One costume is $2,000, but The Redhead had more than that in one gown she doesn't wear any more.

Reloading costs are about $5000 a year. Diesel is $4/gallon. Fortunately the big bucks I get for writing for the CC covers it... NOT!

I guess in the big scheme of things, it is relatively cheap to get into CAS, considering other hobbies/sports. I hate to think what I have sunk (pun intended) into scuba diving. It is pretty cheap to travel to a top match, but it gets expensive real quick to travel to top dive sites like Cocos Island, Fiji, Palau, the Galapagos, the Seychelles, etc.

All of that said, it is still a major expense for a young couple with kids to get started, while trying to make ends meet in this economy. I do what I can with loaner guns, reloads, etc., but most folks feel uneasy about asking.

Let's see. About $300 grand in the bus, $20 g in the shop trailer, about $2000 for insurance. $5,000 a year mainenance or &2000/yr service contract & $1500/yr in deductibles The Jeep is over 35k.

Then there's guns, about $6k two pair of rce redy Rugers,, 2 '73's, & 2 SKBs. We won't count the guns tried along the way, side match guns, etc. (& WB guns--$7500)

Let's see, finding boots up to walking on sharp rocks all day, $2,000. Costuming, past about $200 for baaics is optional. One costume is $2,000, but The Redhead had more than that in one gown she doesn't wear any more.

Reloading costs are about $5000 a year. Diesel is $4/gallon. Fortunately the big bucks I get for writing for the CC covers it... NOT!

Some are at a different level ~ ;):D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I'm pretty new, so here is what I have so far:

Rifle- new Rossi 92 - $405

Shotgun- used hammered Rossi - $250

Pistol 1- used Ruger NV - $425

Pistol 2- new Pietta/Kirst 1860 - $675

Hat- new - $80

shirt- used - closet

pants- used - $30

braces- new - $17

boots- used - $20

holsters- new - $145

belt/slides - new/used - $30/$50

total = $2127 (hope wife doesn't see this post!)

reloads - $0.15 each

shotgun shells - .$0.36 each

Not counting the 1860, it is mostly budget gear.

Those annuals add up don't they? Not to mention what's discovered and needing attention -- a.k.a $$$$$$ :)

Not to bad since I do all my own maintenance. Got IA friends that sign off my work and Son is an A&P.

Built a Biplane that I flew in 73 which I still have. Plus have rebuilt a few. Been wrenching for awhile :)

WJ

If ya want to see them. Yea I know this isn't an airplane site :rolleyes:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/1343404795.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/Airplanes/1277240715.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/Airplanes/StardusterinYard.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/Airplanes/Image026.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/Airplanes/Image034.jpg

Initally it was $340 for a Ruger Vaquero (only needed one at the time) right at 340 each for a Rossi 92 and a Baikal SXS.

Latter added the second Vaquero for 400

Have since added RNVs for 950 approx 400 for a pair of 58 Rem C&B and 250 for a pair of 1860 Armys and approx 900 for a slicked up NKJ 92 not to mention a $300 97 for wB. Already owned the 1911. THat one one only has about $160 of my money in it. Cost me $35.00 for materials to make a take down recurve for a guy, who paid me by trading a mini 14. It grouped about 6-8 inches at 100. Trade it for a Interarms Silver Cup 45. The target sights precluded using it as a carry gun. Picked up a IMI Slide at a gunshow and a GI Barrel and Bushing from Amherst. A friend gave me the barrel link and pin

Not to bad since I do all my own maintenance. Got IA friends that sign off my work and Son is an A&P.

Built a Biplane that I flew in 73 which I still have. Plus have rebuilt a few. Been wrenching for awhile :)

WJ

If ya want to see them. Yea I know this isn't an airplane site :rolleyes:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/1343404795.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/Airplanes/1277240715.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/Airplanes/StardusterinYard.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/Airplanes/Image026.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/Airplanes/Image034.jpg

Dang, I love Bonanzas -- and Piper & Aeronca tail draggers too! :rolleyes:

I think that one thing this thread points up is that many folks are beginning in SASS with no other shooting background. Or their interests were far afield from what was required. At the time I started, most folks only needed to buy 1 or maybe 2 of the 3 guns necessary.

When I started, I already had 4 leverguns, a side-by-side and 3 SAs (a Colt and a clone). Why? Because I liked 'em. Had to upgrade(?) to a pistol caliber levergun. Already had a Bianchi belt and holster. And dang it, I thought I was pretty young... 35.

Frankly, everyone's circumstances are so totally different... I don't think valid comparisons apply.

When I quit working in 1981, I swore that I would do what I love from then on. If you focus on what you love, then what you need will come. I'm not real sure why or how it works that way. I just know for sure that it does work that way.

All the rest are the limitations we self-impose. I'm not sure why we do it. But, I know that I do it all the time.

For example, I went looking for a TTN to shoot Classic. I ended up with an original Colt '78 used in the movie Pale Rider on the 1st search....for $900. Then bought another for $800. They're my main match guns. The money came from an unexpected source when I needed it to do what I wanted. At the time each transaction was made, I'll bet any accountant would have advised against it; most attorneys would have worried; most wives would have pouted; most Moms would have questioned my sanity just like you're probably doing right now.

Bet that's how it works for most everyone if you stop the noise long enough to hear the song.

I haven't sung the RV I want into my driveway yet. When I do I'll post some photos. :P

That there is a complicated question!

There's actually 2 answers

Answer # 1 is, what I tell my wife, it's just a few buck here and there. :unsure:

Answer # 2 is, for CAS only $6500.00, for hunting $2000, collecting $150 and Wild Bunch $1000, still need a rifle.

Frenchy

Got my first "CAS" gun, a Uberti '73, in 1982...long before I ever heard of SASS or CAS. Added on a bunch more sine then, but most were bought for a lot less than they sell for today, and lot less than I'd sell them for. Even so I have about $7,500.00 in guns alone, but I don't spend a lot on other stuff. I've had two guns, maybe three, "smithed" but none are race tuned and none of my main match guns have been worked on other than occasional routine maintenance.

Got the same gun belt and holsters I bought 25+ years ago, and may have to buy new clothes before much longer. Aside from some shirts I bought a few years back my wardrobe is getting positively disreputable and my wife has been fingering a gas can and a box of matches and glowering at the closet.

I don't reload and don't shoot much so ammo isn't a great cost, but will be if I ever become active again.

I just started in October of 2011 and have over $4,000 invested:

Started with two 1858 Remington Repos and an old sxs shotgun. I did have to buy a lever action so I got a Rossi 1892 Winchester from Nate-$800.00

Then Two Real 1897 Winchesters $425.00 & $500.00

Cimmaron Pistolero $500.00

1875 Remington about $400.00

Decided I needed a pair of matching pistols so I bought a pair of Ruger New Vaquero Bisleys

$1,100.00

That doesn't count gun cart and clothes. I was luck that as I do Civil War Reenacting I have some shirts and I managed to get a pair of used pants on ebay. I can's wear boots because of a bad leg so I wear my Civil War Brogans that I already have and dug up a Burgess had that I had in the back of the closet.

My Rifle and Revolvers are all 45 Colt so I only have to buy one type of ammo and I am saving up my brass and will start reloading soon.

Ok, original outfit to start:

1892 Winchester 32-20 $135

Iver Johnson Cattleman 45 Colt $100

Colt SAA 125th Ann Comm 45 Colt $275

Crescent 12 Ga Dbl $50

Hat $5

Boots $35 (cause you've got to take care of your feet)

Total $600

All bought before I ever heard of CAS or SASS, I just like cowboy guns.

Now a days I can't even begin to figure the cost of three or four sets of competition guns I've got for different points in time, conversions with an 1866 or a Henry for post war, 7 1/2" Colts and a '73 for the mid to late '70s, 4 3/4" Colts and a diferent '73 for the '80s and on. Not counting the WB guns, or the '76 and '86 rifles, or the trapdoor and the Sharps and the Peabody or the half dozen shotguns and the cap & ball revolvers...

See, just way too much to count. And that doesn't even start on reloading gear, clothing, gun cart, etc., etc., etc.

So far the wife has 'supported' me (ok, so she just watches me and shakes her head while my six kids are already divying up Dad's stuff and plotting his stay in the nursing home, probably heavily sedated) hoping I know what I'm doing. But for the last forty or fifty years, I've had a ball and will continue to for as long as I'm able.

As the man has said, the price of having fun, meeting fellow like minded people, and driving some people nuts...PRICELESS. ;)

I've spent a bunch on guns over the years, CAS and others. One thing that people overlook is that if you buy quality and take reasonable care of your guns, you can recoup a substantial portion of that expense if you ever want/need to sell. Two of my '73 Border rifles were bought from the Navy Arms rep at Guns of August in the mid-90's. I think I paid $589 for the .45 one year and $619 for the .357 the following year. Lassiter did my action work and upgraded them with shorter strokes in later years. They both have been used hard and show "character" resulting from that use. I could sell either for more than my investment including the gunsmithing. In fact one friend who used my .45 '73 at a Wild Bunch match tries to buy it every time we meet. I wonder what % of your original cost you could get out of a 15+ year old bass boat?

I just got into CAS, all my gear recently pruchased. most new, a few used items.

Pair of Ruger Bisley Vaqueros: $1150

Stoeger 12 G: 500 (gift from my son)

66 Short rifle: $1100 (ordered but not recieved yet)

leather: $250

Clothing: $200

SASS membership $50

local club membership $20

Safe $600

used cart $150

Annual range membership $75

Total comes to $4095. Probably fairly minimal to get started. While it seems like a lot, it is way less than a boat, a motorcyle, a hobby car, or a travel trailer/RV. Way way less than buying a horse or 2! (been there, done that!) I have over 3K in my golf bag.

Continuing costs are

monthy shoot $15 (includes lunch)

Ammo <$100/month (includes going to range)

Annual costs <1500/year.

Pretty inexpensive fun. Even if I start going to 2 matches/month and a big match per year, still doubt I would spend 2500/year. When I was playing golf regularly and belonged to a CC, dues were $400/month, plus golf balls (a LOT of golf balls!) I bet my annual golf costs were over 5K. I have way more fun shooting than I ever did playing golf. I know people who spend $50/week drinking at their favorite watering hole. Thats 2600/year. or spend upwards of 5K per year smoking. Compared to that, CAS is cheap!

I expect that I will be spending a few more $$$ on guns, but from what I've seen, while not exactly money making investments, they certainly hold their value a lot better than motorcycles or golf equipment.

In short, I don't see CAS as being terribly expensive compared to a lot of other hobbies. And I sure have met some great people in a short time. Its been money well spent.

I'm pretty new, so here is what I have so far:

Rifle- new Rossi 92 - $405

Shotgun- used hammered Rossi - $250

Pistol 1- used Ruger NV - $425

Pistol 2- new Pietta/Kirst 1860 - $675

Hat- new - $80

shirt- used - closet

pants- used - $30

braces- new - $17

boots- used - $20

holsters- new - $145

belt/slides - new/used - $30/$50

total = $2127 (hope wife doesn't see this post!)

YOU BETTER HOPE SHE DOESN'T GET INVOLVED IN THE WOMEN'S COSTUMING END OF THE GAME. SKIN-OUT CLOTHES WITH ALL THE ACCESSORIES WILL COST MORE THAN A BASIC SHOOTING OUTFIT. AND IF SHE SHOOTS, TOO...... :rolleyes:

reloads - $0.15 each

shotgun shells - .$0.36 each

Not counting the 1860, it is mostly budget gear.

Archived